chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·17·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
By today's standards it's not so good, there are better materials available.

In some countries, hemp was never made illegal, yet the demand for it is rather modest, and cultivation is labor intensive.
Yeah? Really?

Then why, exactly, was marijuana deemed a "Class A" drug and then downgraded to a "Class C" drug in the UK in 2004, and then upgraded to "Class B" in 2009?

Just to share, I have smoked a *lot* of pot in my time.
Old 2017-09-05, 00:27   #24
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Yeah? Really?

Then why, exactly, was marijuana deemed a "Class A" drug and then downgraded to a "Class C" drug in the UK in 2004, and then upgraded to "Class B" in 2009?

Just to share, I have smoked a *lot* of pot in my time.
The standard answer to these questions involves ignorance, repression, and racism.
https://fee.org/articles/the-racist-...a-prohibition/
Quote:
The history of marijuana (or cannabis/THC) stems back over 10,000 years and is widely recognized as one of the most useful plants on the planet. Yet it was made illegal in the United States in the early 20th century due to political and economic factors.
History of The Drug

Let’s get one thing clear: marijuana was not made illegal because it caused “insanity, criminality, and death” as was claimed by Harry J. Anslinger. It was made illegal in an attempt to control Mexican immigration into the United States and to help boost the profits of large pharmaceutical companies.
I should note that bureaucratic self-perpetuation also plays a big role in the continued prohibition of pot. Just think of all those smugglers, narcotistos, gangsters, cops, DEA agents, FBI agents, CIA agents, crime lab techs, narcs, stoolies, lawyers, judges, prison guards, you name it who would be put out of work if pot were legalized. Have you no compassion?

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-09-05 at 00:37
Old 2017-09-05, 00:52   #25
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×17×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
The standard answer to these questions involves ignorance, repression, and racism.
Yeah. And the film "Reefer madness".

I have done some of my best programming stoned out of my mind.

Some people get really gitty when under the influence. I get really serious.

But I only take it a few times every so years. I could "piss clean" today.
Old 2017-09-15, 20:36   #26
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×29×67 Posts

Disasters and Price Gouging | naked capitalism
Old 2017-09-19, 21:37   #27
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1165810 Posts

The Naked Capitalism reader comments feature has been turned back on, and today I'd like to feature a post by reader 'sgt_doom' - note the article in whose comments this appears, along with the other reader discussion, are also both worth reading:
Quote:
Neverending Fake News on Economic Warfare

This week on the NPR show, On the Media, some young Fake News guy was inferring [sic] that jobs offshored to China or Mexico was some kind of tinfoil hat boogeyman!

This morning on local Seattle radio station, KIRO, they were talking with CBS/Wall Street analyst, Jill Schlesinger, who claimed falling wages from 1973 on was due to women entering the work force in large numbers.

Now, there is some truth to this — and let’s not forget that 1973 was the year when American women were finally allowed under the law to sign or co-sign on mortgages, and overnight mortgage prices skyrocketed upwards (odd how that works in the opposite direction whenever bankers are involved) — a larger labor pool tends to drive wages downwards, especially when labor has been globalized!

So let’s examine a larger data set: international growth in total employee compensation since 1985 (originally published at Bloomberg’s):

TOTAL EMPLOYEE COMPENSATION INCREASES SINCE 1985

Denmark >>>> 220%

German >>>> 194%

Netherlands >>192%

France >>>>> 154%

Australia >>>> 64%

USA >>>>>>> 0.47%

That was 0.47% for the USA compared to Denmark’s 220% — and yes, women work in those countries!

What specifically is interesting about the year, 1985? That was the year the explosion in American jobs offshoring occurred, with General Electric leading the way.

GE wasn’t just offshoring manufacturing jobs — as important as that is — GE was also offshoring R&D scientist jobs, and engineering jobs, and programmer jobs and technician jobs. In the 1980s India and China were the prime countries to offshore jobs to — and that hasn’t changed, but many more countries have joined that list.

At least GE pays taxes, right? Negative, between 2008 to 2015, GE paid no federal taxes. (That must be why President Obama appointed GE’s CEO to be his jobs czar — they excel at offshoring jobs and paying zero taxes!)

Several weeks back on NPR’s Marketplace show, the creepy-voiced host, Kyle, interviewed Marina Whitman who, at 81 years of age, is with the University of Michigan. Not mentioned was that Marina von Neumann Whitman, daughter of John von Neumann, is a life-long member of the Bretton Woods Committee (brettonwoods.org), the lobbyist group for the international super-rich, and that she was an executive with General Motors when they were offshoring many a job. (Must be nice to offshore jobs while always staying employed — even at the age of 81!)

Whitman was in whining mode — oh so sympathetic that there had not been enough — or most frequently zero — training for those laid-off workers due to offshoring.

So there we have it — the offshoring of American jobs is obviously a tinfoil hat explanation for why total employee compensation increased in Denmark by 220% but only increased in America by a pathetic and paltry 0.47% — and yes, the moon is made of green cheese and American women are to blame for everything!

https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads/...fullreport.pdf
Old 2017-10-08, 22:22   #28
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·3·29·67 Posts

How Economists Turned Corporations into Predators | naked capitalism

IIRC the notion of maximizing shareholder value is one of the numerous toxic legacies of Milton Friedman of the so-called Chicago School of economics. Article uses Apple's recent massive-share-buyback regime as an example of parasitic value extraction.

And speaking of predatory corporations, another Silicon Valley heavyweight in the news:

Google, Larry Page and Sergey Brin accused of racketeering in lawsuit claiming pattern of trade secrets theft | San Jose Mercury News
Old 2017-10-09, 13:07   #29
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×5×7×71 Posts

Another place where your money's no good...
Shake Shack to open cashless, kiosk-only location in New York City

BTW, it seems that refusing cash as payment for goods and services is not in conflict with cash being "legal tender." The reason is, a "debt" (as in "all debts, public and private") means money owed to a creditor, rather than payment due for goods and services. If you want to mandate acceptance of cash as payment for goods and services, you have to do it at the state level.
Old 2017-10-09, 22:42   #30
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post

BTW, it seems that refusing cash as payment for goods and services is not in conflict with cash being "legal tender." The reason is, a "debt" (as in "all debts, public and private") means money owed to a creditor, rather than payment due for goods and services. If you want to mandate acceptance of cash as payment for goods and services, you have to do it at the state level.
To augment this information, the absurdity of paying fines in pennies is more a movie plot than an actuality. Scraped from Google search "is paying in pennies legal?" (and pennies are not actually cents but pedants can hurt themselves sometimes when polling the global Id)
Quote:
Yes, pennies are legal tender, but, as the Department of the Treasury points out, there is "no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services."
Aug 17, 2015
Can I Pay My Fine in Pennies? - Legally Weird - FindLaw Blogs
FindLaw › blogs › 2015/08 › can-i-pay-...
Old 2017-10-09, 23:44   #31
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post

It seems that, if one wishes to remove merchandise from the proprietor's premises, a debt is incurred. Same with legal fees or lawn care. You get the service, you have a debt to the provider.

I know that this is not legalistic language. But commerce of any sort involves the balancing of debts, whether in barter or in monetary transaction.
Old 2017-10-10, 00:00   #32
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

72528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
It seems that, if one wishes to remove merchandise from the proprietor's premises, a debt is incurred. Same with legal fees or lawn care. You get the service, you have a debt to the provider.

I know that this is not legalistic language. But commerce of any sort involves the balancing of debts, whether in barter or in monetary transaction.
Hence the phrase quid pro quo.

Another place where your money may be no good is in trying to pay bail with cash. There have been some asset forfeiture incidents where bail money is seized. This from 2012:
Under Asset Forfeiture Law, Wisconsin Cops Confiscate Families' Bail Money
Traveling with cash has problems and challenges too.

+++

From the Shake Shack article an emphasis on the word friction:
Quote:
Orders will go directly to the kitchen, which has been rearranged to "eliminate friction time," Garutti told CNBC.

Eliminating "friction" is a big piece of this new Shack location. In addition to streamlining the back of house operation, the Astor Place Shake Shack will not accept cash. Garutti said many customers still pay with cash in its restaurants, but the company wants to see if removing that option will make the dining experience more seamless.
Friction has been used in a similar sense in ebook transactions. With library copies of ebooks, publishers seek additional friction and implement it by disabling ebooks after 25 or so loans.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2017-10-10 at 00:28
Old 2017-10-10, 01:04   #33
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

233108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
And speaking of predatory corporations, another Silicon Valley heavyweight in the news:
You are, of course, aware that Machiavelli and Sun are required reading in business school.
Closed Thread