mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-01-23, 05:08   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2,411 Posts
Default custom user titles gone?

Is it just my browser, or have all the custom user titles disappeared?
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 05:35   #2
schickel
 
schickel's Avatar
 
"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2×1,061 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Is it just my browser, or have all the custom user titles disappeared?
It's not just you.....
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 05:47   #3
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default

Post counts, date joined, and all other such information is gone too. (It is of course still available on the user's profile page, but IMO it would be nice to have it back in the left-side infobox as well...I found it useful if only as an easy way to gauge someone's approximate level of forum experience by their join date.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 08:04   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×33×5×37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Post counts, date joined, and all other such information is gone too. (It is of course still available on the user's profile page, but IMO it would be nice to have it back in the left-side infobox as well...I found it useful if only as an easy way to gauge someone's approximate level of forum experience by their join date.)
I think one user is trying to drive up their post count, and is trying in the process.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 13:23   #5
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted
 
Mini-Geek's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

22×11×97 Posts
Default

The time limit between posts has also been upped from 1 minute to 5.
I think this is an over-retaliation, or mistake, by the gerbils/snakes/trolls/gerbil-ghosts/Xyzzy for davar55's incessant posting yesterday.
Why not just take post count off of the main view (but leave it on the profile page) and put the rest back how it was, including the time limit? The user titles and location certainly don't encourage serial posting, and 5 minutes can be pretty long, even for a normal-ish poster like me.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2011-01-23 at 13:33
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 14:12   #6
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

6,427 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
The time limit between posts has also been upped from 1 minute to 5.
I think this is an over-retaliation, or mistake, by the gerbils/snakes/trolls/gerbil-ghosts/Xyzzy for davar55's incessant posting yesterday.
Why not just take post count off of the main view (but leave it on the profile page) and put the rest back how it was, including the time limit? The user titles and location certainly don't encourage serial posting, and 5 minutes can be pretty long, even for a normal-ish poster like me.
I agree. I think that a temporary ban would have been better. I was very tempted to speak up yesterday as I got quite tired of it.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 14:57   #7
jasonp
Tribal Bullet
 
jasonp's Avatar
 
Oct 2004

3·1,181 Posts
Default

1. A forum is not a substitute for IM

2. We are starting to have to deal regularly with spambots that post to the forum as rapidly as possible until banned. I dealt with two last week that posted three times in the time it took me to ban them.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 17:19   #8
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

32·571 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
1. A forum is not a substitute for IM
0. A forum is not a substitute for having your own blog.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:15   #9
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2,411 Posts
Default

Would it be possible to rate-limit posting for specific users only?
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 18:56   #10
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Would it be possible to rate-limit posting for specific users only?
A slight variation of this idea: what about a separate user class, identical in outward appearance and privileges to a standard user, but without post frequency limits? The idea being that "regulars" could be put into this group because they can be trusted to not spam incessantly. (With few exceptions... ) This should be quite doable from what I've seen in the past of how vBulletin works. The tricky part would be to set it up in some way that it requires minimal maintenance attention from the supermods.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 19:42   #11
Wacky
 
Wacky's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

21018 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
A slight variation of this idea: what about a separate user class, identical in outward appearance and privileges to a standard user, but … The tricky part would be to set it up in some way that it requires minimal maintenance attention from the supermods.
Actually, it should not be too hard to manage. Everyone starts in the "standard" class and then those who demonstrate that they deserve it are "promoted" to a special class that has (perhaps draconian) limits imposed. After some interval, the gerbils could petition for reconsideration (on an individual basis).
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
random comments, random questions and thread titles made for Google jasong Lounge 46 2017-05-09 12:32
Custom water-cooling LaurV LaurV 81 2015-09-18 20:20
Custom Top Producers Report TheMawn PrimeNet 2 2015-03-03 21:11
Custom login? Rodrigo PrimeNet 10 2014-02-22 16:53
Custom Google search... Xyzzy Lounge 24 2003-09-22 21:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:42.


Sat Oct 16 01:42:31 UTC 2021 up 84 days, 20:11, 0 users, load averages: 1.36, 1.20, 1.33

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.