mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2021-04-01, 17:28   #1
bur

Aug 2020

132 Posts
Default Linux or Windows?

I'll get a new computer that I plan to use for factoring and occasional ECM-PP, otherwise the OS doesn't really matter. Additionally, it will come with Ubuntu pre-installed.

So, strictly for factoring, will Linux be a better choice? WSL2 seems to do a very good job to run Linux binaries on Win10, but it's likely slightly slower still?

My only concern is Prime95/mprime, is mprime a complete alternative to Prime95? I know it has no GUI, but that I don't mind.
bur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 18:00   #2
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·5·587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bur View Post
I'll get a new computer that I plan to use for factoring and occasional ECM-PP, otherwise the OS doesn't really matter. Additionally, it will come with Ubuntu pre-installed.

So, strictly for factoring, will Linux be a better choice? WSL2 seems to do a very good job to run Linux binaries on Win10, but it's likely slightly slower still?

My only concern is Prime95/mprime, is mprime a complete alternative to Prime95? I know it has no GUI, but that I don't mind.
Ubuntu would be perfectly fine although if you have a spare Win 10 licence and that would be more convenient there would be very little downside. I would probably run most stuff under WSL2. The only potential issue is if you plan to compute on a GPU. Support on WSL2 is patchy(getting better) and windows drivers can be worse/slower.

AFAIK there isn't a meaningful slowdown for WSL2.

Prime95 and mprime are just different front ends for the same code.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 18:03   #3
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

3·5·53 Posts

I'm resisting very hard the urge to preach the virtues of Linux. If OS doesn't otherwise matter then Linux is the answer even if it didn't come pre-installed. WSL2 is a virtual environment so there should be minor overhead, albeit probably indiscernible from OS/background overhead on modern hardware with virtualisation instructions. mprime isn't an alternative, AFAIK it IS prime95 just without the GUI heathenry.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 18:11   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×37×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
I'm resisting very hard the urge to preach the virtues of Linux.
IMO Linux is adequate, but it has many rough edges, and some very sharp edges.

But a stronger reason to use Linux is to prevent feeding MS with ever more spy data. MS have no business scooping up all the data, don't feed the spy machinery!
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 18:30   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×32×7×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
IMO, WinBlows is barely adequate, but it has many rough edges, and some very expensive encumbrances.

It is worth noting that even Micro$oft has embraced Linux, now that they realize that "The Cloud" is where the money is moving forward...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 18:32   #6
bur

Aug 2020

132 Posts

I'm not new to Linux, I installed Debian out of curiosity in the late 90s, but in those times it was really hard. I think I never got ISDN to work and finally gave up. A few years later I had Gentoo which I mainly used because I liked compiling stuff and pretending it was faster due to optimized compiler instructions...

What I mean by that, there's no need to preach or warn (choose depending on your inclination. ;)

The computer will just compute 99% of the time without me using the respective UI, so the choice really boils down to efficiency and availability of software. It seems like from that point of view it doesn't matter too much. I think I'll just go with Ubuntu because it's preinstalled and then see how it is.

And Win10's update mechanism of being forced to reboot so often is a minus. I know you can delay it, but that means being open to vulnerabilities. Also scirpting is probably much better supported in Linux and I might enjoy trying to chain factordb output to yafu or the such.

Last fiddled with by bur on 2021-04-01 at 18:35
bur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 18:34   #7
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

79510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I feel like you've been sent to test my willpower. Oh lord please give me the strength to resist these temptations :P
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 19:01   #8
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·32·7·19 Posts

Quote:
I'm not new to Linux, I installed Debian out of curiosity in the late 90s, but in those times it was really hard.
Yeah. Things have changed a bit (for the better) in the last twenty years or so...

Personally, I use CentOS for my servers and Fedora for my workstations. Although recent licencing changes for CentOS have forced me to revaluate my recommendations for servers for my clients who need Long Term Support.

For those getting into the Linux game (again, or anew) for simple compute I recommend Ubuntu.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 19:19   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×72×109 Posts

Quote:

Almost all computers these days come with enough storage to allow you to dual boot.

If you want to spend money on a Windoze license, repartition and dual boot.

That's how my current laptop is configured, though in my case it came with Win10 pre-installed.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 19:45   #10
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

E5A16 Posts

All Linux here. You'll find Linux easier to configure to best suit your needs, Be free!
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-01, 19:56   #11
jwaltos

Apr 2012
Brady

17A16 Posts

Quote:
.. the OS doesn't really matter..
If you're looking to do some good work you'll need to walk on the edges which means your OS is foundational. Modifying/customizing your hardware, using undocumented codes and the ability to use micro-code are assets when you attempt to introduce software which may not play nice with other installed software/firmware. Networking is also a consideration if you have the means to patch together a cluster (as needed) for more intensive work where your parallel programming skills will come into play. Consider all options and hybridize those strengths you may consider useful. Rolling your own, being creative on a budget and being theoretically sharp will allow to be competitive at the very least. Ignoring something for the sake of convenience, not taking advantage of any and all options immediately (as in poker) and not taking into account the unexpected, such as emerging AI, could constrain any potential growth. My two cents worth.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2021-04-01 at 19:57
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote