mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > NFS@Home

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-14, 16:41   #1
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default What comes after 2^1049+1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Last 16e Lattice Sieve application wu received is at ~q=521M (goal to 1000M)
Last 16e Lattice Sieve V5 application wu received is at ~q=1304M (goal to unknown, then backwards from 1000M until meet 16e in the middle)
What number is next?? I suggest that we should honor John Selfridge by
doing some of the numbers on the wanted list that he put together.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 17:24   #2
pinhodecarlos
 
pinhodecarlos's Avatar
 
"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3·1,663 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
What number is next?? I suggest that we should honor John Selfridge by
doing some of the numbers on the wanted list that he put together.
Ask Greg. I am just trying to update on several team forums the progress of the 2,1049+ sieve so that people can be happy. As you know people run for the stats and a little bit more of information for the ones who run NFS@Home is important and appealing.

Carlos
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 20:45   #3
frmky
 
frmky's Avatar
 
Jul 2003
So Cal

32·13·19 Posts
Default

The next three are 3,745+, 3,706+, 10,770M. Following this the list is open.
frmky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 22:29   #4
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

593710 Posts
Default

I vote for a >33 bit large prime number at some point soon. The siever's will need recompiling but there is no reason for the check. What is the snfs record currently?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 19:22   #5
bdodson
 
bdodson's Avatar
 
Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
I vote for a >33 bit large prime number at some point soon. The siever's will need recompiling but there is no reason for the check. What is the snfs record currently?
Sam's Champions page has
Code:
Special number field sieve by SNFS difficulty:
6132	C320	2,1061-	NFS@Home
5501	C307	2,1039-	K.Aoki+J.Franke+T.Kleinjung+A.K.Lenstra+D.A.Osvik
6064	C299	2,1031-	NFS@Home
with 2,1039- having been the first snfs with difficulty above kilo-bit. M1061
was the long standing Challenge number; perhaps you might recall nfs@Home
breaking the record snfs? -bdodson

[Notice that the next page would list 2,1037- c289 in 3rd place, unless 2, 1049+ finishes
first and bumps 1039- Greg lists 316.1 for the decimal version, looks like 1039 comes in at 312.7]

Last fiddled with by bdodson on 2013-02-15 at 19:37 Reason: pending new page
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 20:16   #6
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
Sam's Champions page has
Code:
Special number field sieve by SNFS difficulty:
6132	C320	2,1061-	NFS@Home
5501	C307	2,1039-	K.Aoki+J.Franke+T.Kleinjung+A.K.Lenstra+D.A.Osvik
6064	C299	2,1031-	NFS@Home
with 2,1039- having been the first snfs with difficulty above kilo-bit. M1061
was the long standing Challenge number; perhaps you might recall nfs@Home
breaking the record snfs? -bdodson

[Notice that the next page would list 2,1037- c289 in 3rd place, unless 2, 1049+ finishes
first and bumps 1039- Greg lists 316.1 for the decimal version, looks like 1039 comes in at 312.7]
Henry was clearly not stating what he meant very clearly.

He was referring to using 34-bit or larger "large primes" in the NFS siever.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 20:20   #7
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!
 
Dubslow's Avatar
 
"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Henry was clearly not stating what he meant very clearly.

He was referring to using 34-bit or larger "large primes" in the NFS siever.
"What is the snfs record currently?" seems pretty clear to me.

Are you suggesting, rather, that an snfs record breaker would not be a good test case for a 34 bit lp job?
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 08:19   #8
bdodson
 
bdodson's Avatar
 
Jun 2005
lehigh.edu

210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
"What is the snfs record currently?" seems pretty clear to me.

Are you suggesting, rather, that an snfs record breaker would not be a good test case for a 34 bit lp job?
Thanks for the clarification(s). For M1061 the .poly posted over on
Factoring says
Code:
lpbr: 33
lpba: 33
The M1039 post says
Code:
large primes:

     We accepted large primes up to 2^38, but the parameters were
     optimised for large primes up to 2^36. Most jobs attempted to
     split cofactors up to 2^105 (both sides), only doing the most
     promising candidates.
but that may not count for public ggnfs and public postprocessing.

I have P1049 sieving at school, but don't have a .poly anywhere
in sight --- suppose, if this is all pre-recompiling that it's also
33-bit. So if the 34-bit large prime question is mostly disjoint
from the record snfs (and neglecting M1039), the answer is likely
that there hasn't been a plausibly-sized first case. -bdodson

Off-topic factoring report: PaulZ seems to be away for a few days,
so perhaps I could announce 11, 337+ C331 = p66*p2xx, Dodson/ECMNET.
Given the difficulty of p65 tests, someone is lucky not to have found
this p66 by a Very difficult snfs!

Likewise, I'm just getting started with the new C158 cofactor of
2, 2146L with Serge's .poly (reserved, Batalov+Dodson).

Last fiddled with by bdodson on 2013-02-16 at 08:24 Reason: 2nd, even more off-topic remark
bdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 10:06   #9
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

3·1,979 Posts
Default

For some reason 2^1089-1 had stuck in my brain.
Maybe 2^1117-1 would be interesting. It would increase the largest factored composite quite a bit. Another possibility would be a>200 digit gnfs for which 2^1009-1 might be a candidate.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 17:25   #10
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post

Off-topic factoring report: PaulZ seems to be away for a few days,
so perhaps I could announce 11, 337+ C331 = p66*p2xx, Dodson/ECMNET.
Given the difficulty of p65 tests, someone is lucky not to have found
this p66 by a Very difficult snfs!
This factor was already known and entered into Sam's tables!

Last fiddled with by R.D. Silverman on 2013-02-16 at 17:25 Reason: typo
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 19:04   #11
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

100101100010002 Posts
Default

This is interesting:
1. It was still in ECMNET's composite tables (and the date.cgi lists it as new)
2. Sam's tables indeed have the factorization (but only since summer of 2012; I have earlier pmain page snapshots)
3. There's no previous report of this factorization. By timing, it should have been on page124

Since the largest ECMers are Bruce and Sam, it appears that Sam found it probably in August 2012 (see the datastamp in "More information" on the p66), inserted it into main tables but not in the factor pages.


P.S. Ah, this belonged to the recent extension. Most likely, this happened when Sam merged his 11+ (301 to 350) from xtend pages into main pages but did not update Paul on the factors found over his last couple of weeks.
I will download ECMNET's Cunningham input list and check it against Sam's main tables to avoid more duplicated effort. (Sam or Paul should have done it!)

P.P.S. Seems to be a rare glitch. There are a few more entries that are still in the ECMNET's list:
Code:
217     2       1175    +
331     11      337     +
289     2       1037    -

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2013-02-16 at 20:24 Reason: P.S.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2,1049+ pinhodecarlos NFS@Home 43 2013-05-29 20:32

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:41.


Mon Nov 29 00:41:16 UTC 2021 up 128 days, 19:10, 0 users, load averages: 1.03, 1.11, 1.18

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.