Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2018-01-06, 17:43   #1
evanh

"Evan"
Dec 2017
Houston, TX

2·3·5 Posts
Default Double Checking my own work?

My prime95 program just submitted a result yesterday, and now it has me double checking my own submission.

Should I unreserve it on my assignments page?
evanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-06, 17:47   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanh View Post
My prime95 program just submitted a result yesterday, and now it has me double checking my own submission.

Should I unreserve it on my assignments page?
That should not happen. If you complete the DC, someone else will have to do a triple check to verify. I'm sure more knowing people will weigh in, but I would not waste cycles on a repeat. IMO, you should unreserve it.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-06, 21:37   #3
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

D1016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
That should not happen. If you complete the DC, someone else will have to do a triple check to verify. I'm sure more knowing people will weigh in, but I would not waste cycles on a repeat. IMO, you should unreserve it.
Yes, unreserve it please.

It's usually me who goes in and finds the self-verified work and does an independent triple check, so you'd be saving me some time. :)

EDIT: Normally this should not happen. Can you PM me the exponent in question so I can look at the particulars on the server side to see how that happened? There is code in place that would normally prevent that, but there are a handful of events that could force that to happen, like if the first result got turned in with a missing assignment ID somehow, and the server (or your computer) added the original assignment back in somehow. Or if you started work on that exponent manually and then let it check in, the server will helpfully create a new assignment for it even though normally it wouldn't auto-assign it to you.

Last fiddled with by Madpoo on 2018-01-06 at 21:39
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-07, 01:05   #4
evanh

"Evan"
Dec 2017
Houston, TX

2×3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Yes, unreserve it please.

It's usually me who goes in and finds the self-verified work and does an independent triple check, so you'd be saving me some time. :)

EDIT: Normally this should not happen. Can you PM me the exponent in question so I can look at the particulars on the server side to see how that happened? There is code in place that would normally prevent that, but there are a handful of events that could force that to happen, like if the first result got turned in with a missing assignment ID somehow, and the server (or your computer) added the original assignment back in somehow. Or if you started work on that exponent manually and then let it check in, the server will helpfully create a new assignment for it even though normally it wouldn't auto-assign it to you.
I will PM you.
evanh is offline   Reply With Quote