Old 2021-10-15, 23:41   #12
Viliam Furik

"Viliam FurΓ­k"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

2·353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
I like your answer. I also tend to think that the mind is a parasitic entity. This is a gadget that in some cases takes on too much.
The mind has one significant drawback - it is its finitude. As a result, it generates fears that paralyze the development of personality.

And I would complement the Intellect with two more types of evil.
I find dogmatism to be the main social evil. It is dogmatism that is the cause of all wars on Earth.
The main cosmological evil, I think, is the limitation on the signal transmission rate. It is this flaw that gives rise to many physical phenomena, including the phenomenon of time.

And now, of course, there will be various upstarts who will begin to dispute even the prepositions in my sentences :)
By intelligence, I mean especially high intelligence, or intelligence above average in the human population.
Intelligence is very burdening - the more you have of it, the less you want it sometimes. It's a great gift, but it comes at a big price.

I don't think dogmatism is the cause of all wars. I would say greed is by far the leading cause of wars. Most wars were fought to gain new land for the kingdom/country because its ruler wanted more and more. That's how most big countries (both historical and present) came into existence.
Viliam Furik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-15, 23:55   #13
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

2·3·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
By intelligence, I mean especially high intelligence, or intelligence above average in the human population...
I understand you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viliam Furik View Post
I don't think dogmatism is the cause of all wars. I would say greed is by far the leading cause of wars. Most wars were fought to gain new land for the kingdom/country because its ruler wanted more and more. That's how most big countries (both historical and present) came into existence.
Isn't the struggle for influence a struggle of dogmas?
I agree that some of the wars were in the nature of material conquests. I think these are the most "harmless" wars. Such wars ended when one side gave something to the other.

But most crusades or religious confrontations are a struggle for a flock that shares this or that dogma. It can be a religious dogma or a dogma of the superiority of one race over another. Here the choice is tougher - accept dogma or die.
Although, of course, the winner never deprived himself of the opportunity to rob the losing side.

I do not insist on being right, this is a view that closes my previously open questions.

I think Jonathan Swift had this case in the book about Gulliver and the Lilliputians. It was a conflict between two dogmas, supporters of one broke an egg from a blunt end, supporters of the other broke an egg from a sharp end.

It seems to me that if the Third World War happens, then it will be based on a conflict of dogmas, and not a struggle for wealth or resources.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-16 at 00:12
greenskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 03:20   #14
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

24610 Posts

The same things about intelligence apply to life in general.

Life is a very destructive force. It consumes and ravages. It changes things without regard to the consequences.

Life is also a creative force. It reproduces and evolves. It expands and develops.

Good and evil are constructs of our own invention. There's no universal good or evil, but there are lots of different perspectives.
slandrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 03:59   #15
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

41768 Posts

Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with the topic of the thread. Well, ok, let it be.

Well, perhaps someday you will progress/advance to a point where you can see that there is goodness (which is the opposite of evil) in everything. I will have to admit that I have not. If you keep bringing up risque subjects one after the other in a public forum, you should be prepared to hear opinions which don’t match yours.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 09:01   #16
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

1B616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slandrum View Post
The same things about intelligence apply to life in general.

Life is a very destructive force. It consumes and ravages. It changes things without regard to the consequences.

Life is also a creative force. It reproduces and evolves. It expands and develops.

Good and evil are constructs of our own invention. There's no universal good or evil, but there are lots of different perspectives.
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showth...691#post590691
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Well, perhaps someday you will progress/advance to a point where you can see that there is goodness (which is the opposite of evil) in everything. I will have to admit that I have not. If you keep bringing up risque subjects one after the other in a public forum, you should be prepared to hear opinions which don’t match yours.
I'm already advanced enough to see this.
But the point of my post is not to mix everything together, but to let the participanst to give a subjective view, taking into account personal priorities.

Of course, you can sit and smile looking at the corpse of a dog and enjoy the whiteness of its teeth. But in life, not everyone is Sufis and holy prophets.

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-16 at 09:07
Old 2021-10-16, 17:42   #17
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

2·3·41 Posts

Quote:
then we should assume that loss, pain or suffering is evil.
Loss, pain and suffering are not evil. They are what they are. For humans, they are essential. We cannot grow and develop without them.

Some would argue that causing loss, pain or suffering is evil. But that's a very narrow view. It really depends on the exact situation as to whether people would consider it evil.

Last fiddled with by slandrum on 2021-10-16 at 17:44
Old 2021-10-16, 17:58   #18
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

2×3×73 Posts

Quote:
Loss, pain and suffering are not evil. They are what they are. For humans, they are essential. We cannot grow and develop without them.

Some would argue that causing loss, pain or suffering is evil. But that's a very narrow view. It really depends on the exact situation as to whether people would consider it evil.
Tell about it aloud to those whose loved ones were killed by terrorists, died in the war or were tortured in the gas chambers. Or they died as a result of a painful illness.
Old 2021-10-16, 18:15   #19
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

2×3×41 Posts

Quote:
Tell about it aloud to those whose loved ones were killed by terrorists, died in the war or were tortured in the gas chambers. Or they died as a result of a painful illness.
And those are specific circumstances. They are not the generalizations that you originally stated. You can point to specific acts like this and say "This is evil" and not get an argument from many people. But that's completely different from saying that loss is evil or even that causing loss is evil.

Last fiddled with by slandrum on 2021-10-16 at 18:16
Old 2021-10-16, 18:52   #20
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

1101101102 Posts

Quote:
And those are specific circumstances. They are not the generalizations that you originally stated. You can point to specific acts like this and say "This is evil" and not get an argument from many people. But that's completely different from saying that loss is evil or even that causing loss is evil.
September 11th is evil. No?
Old 2021-10-16, 19:05   #21
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

2×3×41 Posts

Quote:
No. No date is evil.

The attacks on the US performed that day in 2001 were definitely seen as evil by most of the world, but not by everyone obviously. Some thought it was their holy duty.

And again, you are grabbing the most extreme specifics and attempting to lead back to the generalization. A common argument tactic, but one that proves nothing.
Old 2021-10-16, 19:06   #22
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24·13·53 Posts

Quote:
August 6th is evil. No?