xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24×13×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
The fruit coat of angiosperms appeared much later and its main purpose is to attract animal to seeds logistics.
Except when it isn't. I have already given you the examples of dandelions and coconuts (wind and ocean currents respectively). I could provide others which use other mechanisms.

The coating is, in many cases, there for protection not for being eaten. The Sticky WIlly is a case in point.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 10:13   #79
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

2×3×73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Except when it isn't. I have already given you the examples of dandelions and coconuts (wind and ocean currents respectively). I could provide others which use other mechanisms.

The coating is, in many cases, there for protection not for being eaten. The Sticky WIlly is a case in point.
This is not the case in some cases as with dandelion. It belongs to the angiosperms, although it does not have a fruiting shell and uses methods of distribution to seeds using the nature elements.
But this does not change the essence of the phenomenon.

The main thing is that the fruit serves a very specific interest, namely, it encourages the logistics of the seed.
greenskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 15:18   #80
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·3·7·61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
<snip>
The fruit coat of angiosperms appeared much later and its main purpose is to attract animal to seeds logistics.
The term "fruit coat" is imprecise. Do you mean "fleshy fruits" like berries?

I note that some gymnosperms, e.g. yews and ginkgoes, have fleshy "fruits."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 18:40   #81
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
πŸŒΊπŸ™πŸŒΊ

6668 Posts

Please tell me what is not clear to you in the last sentence of my previous comment?
greenskull is offline   Reply With Quote