Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Learning about Black Friday from Google Trends

Besides the data analysis based on US-based searches, also mentions several other countries where retailers have established similar "consumer holidays".
This year was the first, AFAIK, that the specific term "Black Friday" entered the general consciousness in the UK. The likes of Amazon and Asda (the UK arm of Walmart) began the trend around 3 to 4 years ago.

SWMBO now keeps asking me why Black Friday...

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2014-12-01 at 08:51 Reason: Fix tag
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 15:34   #13
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

72528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
SWMBO now keeps asking me why Black Friday...
Why Is Black Friday Called Black Friday?
Quote:
This was first recorded in 1966 by Earl Apfelbaum, a dealer in rare stamps. In his ad, he said "'Black Friday' is the name that the Philadelphia Police Department gave to the Friday following Thanksgiving Day. It is not a term of endearment to them. 'Black Friday' officially opens the Christmas shopping season in center city, and it usually brings massive traffic jams and over-crowded sidewalks as the downtown stores are mobbed from opening to closing."

The Police Department coined the phrase to describe the mayhem surrounding the congestion of pedestrian and auto traffic in the Center City downtown area. (Source: The Chicago Tribune, "Black Friday - Why and When?)

When Black Friday Became a Positive Name

Retailers did not appreciate the negative connotation associated with a black day of the week.
[...]
Quote:
No wonder retailers wanted to make the name "Black Friday" mean something positive. And, to them, the Friday after Thanksgiving is a very profitable day. To compensate, they decided to follow the old adage, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

They used the name to reflect their success. Accountants generally use black to signify profit when recording each day's book entries. Red is used to signify loss. Therefore, Black Friday means profitable Friday to retailing and to the economy.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 16:29   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

101001011001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
Thanks.

The term which is becoming enormoulsy popular here is "Cyber Monday" --- today.
Old 2015-11-26, 22:53   #15
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3×72×79 Posts

Heavy Police Presence Planned for Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade | NYT
Quote:
As an expected three million spectators turn their eyes skyward on Thursday morning, police sharpshooters on rooftops will be peering down for any signs of trouble at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

In addition to Snoopy and SpongeBob floating overhead, there will be mobile cameras and police helicopters, specially trained police dogs sniffing for traces of explosives and officers patrolling on horseback, said James P. O’Neill, the New York Police Department’s chief of department, its highest-ranking uniformed officer.

Observation posts, staffed by officers from the elite Emergency Service Unit, will be watching for suspicious activity; officers will use radiation detectors to seek out evidence of a dirty bomb; and teams of plainclothes officers will mix unobtrusively with revelers spread along the two and a half miles of the Manhattan parade route between 9 a.m. and noon.
Just remember that "they hate us for our freedoms" as you submit to being forcibly groped, full-body-scanned and facially-recognized by the TSA prior to your next flight.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 23:10   #16
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Heavy Police Presence Planned for Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade | NYT

Just remember that "they hate us for our freedoms" as you submit to being forcibly groped, full-body-scanned and facially-recognized by the TSA prior to your next flight.
Sigh.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 12:29   #17
davar55

May 2004
New York City

108816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
YHBT
YHL
HTH
HAND
A hint, please?
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 13:18   #18
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

1059610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
A hint, please?
Certainly. Here it is:

Old 2015-11-27, 13:19   #19
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
A hint, please?
I literally just googled that.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 15:54   #20
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23×3×72 Posts

The Mediamarkt (consumer electronics retailer) in the Netherlands has also started using Black Friday for marketing purposes. But the 'special deals' are not discounted that much.
Thanksgiving is not celebrated in the Netherlands (OMG no turkey ), we do however have Saint Nicholas on 5-6 december on which Santa Claus is loosely based.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 16:24   #21
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
Thanksgiving is not celebrated in the Netherlands (OMG no turkey ), we do however have Saint Nicholas on 5-6 december on which Santa Claus is loosely based.
And we have his little helpers too.
Unfortunately their traditional appearance is not viewed by everyone as entirely PC anymore. I'm personally glad to see that they have been replaced by Minions in Utrecht this year, though maybe I should confine my views on the subject to the Soap Box here.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 22:15   #22
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101011002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
And we have his little helpers too.
Unfortunately their traditional appearance is not viewed by everyone as entirely PC anymore. I'm personally glad to see that they have been replaced by Minions in Utrecht this year, though maybe I should confine my views on the subject to the Soap Box here.
Is Zwarte Piet in any way related to Krampus?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote