mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

View Poll Results: Where do you rate yourself on the Kinsey Scale?
0 - Exclusively heterosexual 11 50.00%
1 - Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual 2 9.09%
2 - Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual 1 4.55%
3 - Equally heterosexual and homosexual 0 0%
4 - Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual 0 0%
5 - Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual 1 4.55%
6 - Exclusively homosexual 4 18.18%
X - Asexual, no socio-sexual contacts or reactions 0 0%
None of the above options describes my sexuality 2 9.09%
I prefer not to label my sexuality in this way 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-08-19, 22:07   #1
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

63028 Posts
Default Kinsey scale

A poll recently carried out amongst British adults asked people to rate themselves on the Kinsey Scale from 0 (completely heterosexual) to 6 (completely homosexual). Strikingly, 23% of the respondents, rising to 49% amongst the youngest age group, 18-24 year olds, indicated something other than completely heterosexual.

The above poll on this forum should, if I am creating it correctly, ensure anonymity in the responses. But identifiable responses in this thread are, of course, welcome too.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 22:50   #2
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

Well, if I had clicked correctly, I would have voted for 6: Exclusively heterosexual. Alas, the room was too dark and I didn't read carefully enough.

Exactly one time I have had a feeling toward a man I might describe as mild attraction, but it didn't last long and it was never something I would have considered pursuing, so I wouldn't call it "incidental" homosexuality.

My question to the poller would be whether or not this scale is to be taken linearly. If I was presented six love interests, all six would be female. The "Exclusively Heterosexual" answer, at least to me, feels like it has a slight element of homophobia. "Whoa no no no I would never sleep with a man whoa ho ho never no no not me not with a man no." I believe I have kept an acceptably open mind, but for myself I can't see it ever being anyone but a woman.

An interesting result to couple with this poll would be to then ask the binary (or trinary, rather) question: "Are you straight, bisexual, or gay?"

The 0's and 1's probably consider themselves to be straight. What about the 2's? Are the 4's gay or bisexual? I'm just thinking along the lines of trying to understand how far away from 0, 3 or 6 people are willing to stray.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 23:42   #3
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

19×521 Posts

Quote:
Alas, the room was too dark and I didn't read carefully enough.
I understand the error, but how does a dark room interfere with seeing what's on a monitor? No disrespect or insinuation intended. ?

EDIT: Though I am pretty thoroughly gay, queer, maricone these days, I have had some fairly extensive hetero experience earlier in life and enjoyed it. The last such relationship went on for some time, but eventually went on the rocks because I felt increasingly false in my relations to the woman. This translated into impotence when male fantasies no longer sufficed. I will refrain from any more graphic descriptions of my difficulties.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2015-08-19 at 23:47
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 00:49   #4
flagrantflowers

Apr 2014

8016 Posts

I feel that anyone who responds with absolutely hetero or homo is holding hard onto some social influence. I have never had a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex but I recognize when they are attractive.
flagrantflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 03:06   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

857510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
"Are you straight, bisexual, or gay?"
Yes.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 05:10   #6
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,521 Posts

Quote:
"Are you straight, bisexual, or gay?"
False trichotomy. Other options exist.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 05:40   #7
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

101100000010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagrantflowers View Post
I feel that anyone who responds with absolutely hetero or homo is holding hard onto some social influence. I have never had a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex but I recognize when they are attractive.
I feel that rejecting those 2 poles as somehow self-delusional is as bigoted as e.g. a heterosexual claiming non-heteroism must somehow be aberrant.

And finding someone attractive? Depends what you mean by that. I find George Clooney attractive - he's a very good-looking man - but that has 0 sexual-desire connotations to me. People need to stop projecting their own notions of 'what must be true' onto others.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 06:19   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

217F16 Posts

Along this "zero sexual attraction" line, I had a friend (he was totally straight) who lived here for a while. He used to say something like "you know, the best mathematicians in the world are men; the best (scientists, programmers, athletes, truck drivers, whatever, he would continue like that for minutes) in the world are men; even the best cooks in the world are men; well, if I stay longer in this country I become more and more accustomed with the idea that the best women in the world are men..."

Which is true, somehow... I don't mean gays or boys who like to dress as girls (they are a lot, and when you see them on the street, if a friend tells you "she is boy", you would say your friend is crazy!) but I mean the "normal", heterosexual male population in south-east of Asia. Boys are more... handsome (could I say beautiful, attractive, good looking?) than the female population, in average. I don't mean "body", Asian girls have nice bodies, but when you look to their faces, they mostly are cockeyed and have "scrambled" awry teeth*, contrarily to the most of the boys who have nice faces, like models, with bright eyes and straight teeth. On the other hand, the beauty is a capital here, those women who are really beautiful are mostly married with rich old guys, and be hidden somewhere in their villa, only seldom they are seen getting out of their fancy cars and going to some selective places, etc.

------
* because they don't "bite" anything in their life, they chop all the food in very small pieces, including apples, and use rice instead of bread, for generations, they genetically lost the "nice teeth" traits, and most of them don't have money to spend with dentists - many do, but most don't - in the spite of the fact that here is the country with the most dentists per capita in the world (exactly because of that!) and it is much cheaper than other places and still very save, from medical point of view, dentists are schooled in Europe, US, etc, they are good in their jobs, etc, farangs come here for "dental tourism", it is cheaper to pay the air ticket, stay few weeks, do your dentistry here, visit around meantime, then fly back, than it should be to go to the dentist in your country - I have done two bridges and two coronas in Thailand, years ago, and I am quite satisfied with the "service".

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2015-08-20 at 06:24
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 08:15   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

24·17·37 Posts

Quote:
Exactly one time I have had a feeling toward a man I might describe as mild attraction, but it didn't last long ...
Likewise, and when I was much younger. Therefore honesty compels me to vote 1.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 08:16   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

24×17×37 Posts

Quote:
An interesting result to couple with this poll would be to then ask the binary (or trinary, rather) question: "Are you straight, bisexual, or gay?"
Straight, for the reason indicated in my previous post.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 08:30   #11
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

5,521 Posts

I would have to vote 0. Although I should probably temper that with a caveat because when in Thailand it can be difficult to tell the lady-boys from the real ladies. So it is entirely possible I may have had "desires" towards a man and not even realised it. But perhaps it doesn't count when one is being deliberately deceived?

And what about virtual "people" that only exist in computer simulations? How would that count on the voting scale? Would one have to vote "I am a computer sprite lover, but hetero/homo/whatevero in real life"?

And still it goes further with some people's attraction to non-human animals. Illegal in many places but that doesn't alter the fact that it happens.

People are complicated. Stop trying to put them into little boxes and constrain the outcomes.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote