mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2013-09-19, 06:02   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66618 Posts
Default Exercise for gaming time

The news recently stated that boys tend to prefer video games over exercise, or some such thing, and it got me to thinking. Would it be possible to come up with an electronically secure way of trading exercise for gaming time or money, WITHOUT the parents needing to verify things? And when I say verify, I mean verifying the exercise, not verifying they haven't broken into the tracking mechanism.

Obviously, it would be a lot easier if the person imposed the rules on themselves and were non-hypocritical, but I'm specifically thinking of hostile users. And, no, I probably don't have the education to fully understand the answer if there is a good one involving,"Yes, it can be done." Just thought I'd throw it out there.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 06:06   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

200416 Posts

Something like a USB pedometer that is required for the system to run. So many steps are needed for so much game time.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 09:42   #3
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2·23·71 Posts

It's an idea which would be worth every expense invested if it could be made to work.

Perhaps rather than a good technical solution, the most difficult problem would be how to persuade the consumers to buy those games for which you need to exercise, and (therefore) how to persuade designers, programmers and manufacturers to make them. Carrot (market forces) or stick (legal means)? It would be fraught with difficulties either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Something like a USB pedometer that is required for the system to run. So many steps are needed for so much game time.
I've never owned a pedometer. Is it easy with a modern one to fake running or walking by tilting it continually back and forth while you're lounging in front of the TV, does anyone know?
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 12:42   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·3·683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
I've never owned a pedometer. Is it easy with a modern one to fake running or walking by tilting it continually back and forth while you're lounging in front of the TV, does anyone know?
Sure, but it could be an app instead that the parents load on the child's smart phone (all stealth like). The app senses the amount of play, reports that back to a server and unlocks the appropriate amount of video game time.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 21:10   #5
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·3·977 Posts

I think making the exercise the price and the game the reward isn't a great system. Better, IMO, are games like Zombies, Run! (caveat: I've never played) which make the exercise itself an integral part of the game.

Quote:
Very. Shaking up and down works better. I imagine there are yet better ways.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 00:04   #6
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11×157 Posts

Or parents could tell their children to go outside and play once in a while.

Wait, did you say parenting? I have an app for that!

Christ...
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 11:17   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
It's an idea which would be worth every expense invested if it could be made to work.

Perhaps rather than a good technical solution, the most difficult problem would be how to persuade the consumers to buy those games for which you need to exercise, and (therefore) how to persuade designers, programmers and manufacturers to make them. Carrot (market forces) or stick (legal means)? It would be fraught with difficulties either way.

My assumption is that the parents would be the consumers and kids would be the rather unhappy participants. Also, the exercising aspect wouldn't have to be an integral part of the game, it could just be an addon that, say, only gives limited access to the game based on the information about the exercise.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2013-09-20 at 11:18
Old 2013-09-20, 11:20   #8
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Shaking up and down works better. I imagine there are yet better ways.
That would increase your heart rate, possibly by a larger amount than actually walking, so the person might only think they're gaming the system.