mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2013-04-07, 04:31   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Is an online exercise game not based on trust doable?

Many of us live in countries where obesity is a problem, people would rather stare at screens or eat instead of exercise.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make a game for kids(or anybody who wants to play it) that is scored based on healthy living, but is reasonably secure against cheating. I'm not worried about particulars, don't even intend to make the game actually. I'm just wondering how feasible it would be to set up a tracking system that isn't based on the idea of trusting people to be honest.

I'm thinking of, just to throw something out there, a pedometer that's used to track activity, but if you open the case you can no longer use it to update your score. I was going to say it would use GPS, but that might be too expensive to implement. Not sure. It would have to reject certain types of input, like more than x amount of steps a minute, or more than a certain distance in 5 minutes.

Thoughts?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 05:55   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

200618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I'm thinking of, just to throw something out there, a pedometer that's used to track activity, but if you open the case you can no longer use it to update your score. I was going to say it would use GPS, but that might be too expensive to implement. Not sure. It would have to reject certain types of input, like more than x amount of steps a minute, or more than a certain distance in 5 minutes.
Many smart phones have GPS. Some have pedometer programs or gizmos. You can also look at Wii or Kinectx based systems. Also there are scales that will post to your social media, (once you configure it to give it rights.)
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote