Old 2009-07-28, 13:11   #1
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default ROLP subforum

Hi all,

As some of you may have noticed, the ROLP subforum's whole password-protected setup has been confusing the heck out of some other mersenneforum members. In the course of the aforelinked thread's discussion, it was discovered that the password I thought we'd been using all this time really didn't work!

I mentioned in that thread that we have our new ROLP forum, which doesn't need to be password protected, at the new NPLB forums. Which got me thinking: how would everyone feel if we simply delete the old ROLP forum, and move it officially to the new one, since there's really nothing much of consequence in the old forum in the first place? I can copy over Gary's welcome message rather easily without having to wait for the big transferral of data to the new forum.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Personally, I would be in favor of moving the ROLP forum now, because for such a low volume of discussion, it sure hogs up a lot of real estate on the NPLB forum page. I find that even on my rather large 19-inch monitor (1280x1024 resolution), I have to scroll down to see the first of the non-stickied threads. Removing the whole subforum box would go a long way towards alleviating this problem.

Max
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 14:04   #2
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

17×167 Posts

Sounds like a plan to me. Go for it. LOL
MyDogBuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 14:11   #3
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31×67 Posts

Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 14:16   #4
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Okay, since there seems to be somewhat of a consensus on this already, I've re-posted the "Welcome" message over at the new forum. Assuming Gary agrees with this plan of action, I'll ask Xyzzy to delete the mersenneforum ROLP subforum.
Old 2009-07-28, 20:32   #5
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×3×19×89 Posts

Its heck being a dunce but I am. lol

You talk about the "new" ROLP subforum and "old" ROLP subforum. Which is which and where are they? All I know of is the ROLP subforum that I can go in and post any time without a password.

If you can provide a link to both and specify which is new and which is old, I'll be able to give a reasonable thumbs up to what you are doing.

I'm all for cleaning up old messes left behind.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 20:36   #6
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Unless I'm misunderstanding anything...
old ROLP forum=ROLP forum at mersenneforum.org, specifically http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87 (password protected for normal users, not for moderators)
new ROLP forum=ROLP forum at noprimeleftbehind.net, specifically http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/for...isplay.php?f=8 (not password protected)
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 21:11   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding anything...
old ROLP forum=ROLP forum at mersenneforum.org, specifically http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87 (password protected for normal users, not for moderators)
new ROLP forum=ROLP forum at noprimeleftbehind.net, specifically http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/for...isplay.php?f=8 (not password protected)
Yes, as Mini-Geek said.
Old 2009-07-28, 21:47   #8
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×3×19×89 Posts

Gotcha. Dunce cap is off now (temporarily anyway). :-)

Yes, go ahead and have XYZZY delete the one here. I agree that it does create some confusion.

Thanks for cleaning up the messes Max!
Old 2009-07-29, 08:26   #9
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

2×3×19×89 Posts

Let's hold off on deleting the subforum here or doing anything else that is related to the noprimeleftbehind forum.

I'll explain as time permits and when necessary.