retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25·173 Posts

When the device needs to call home, but can't:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/02/driver-stranded-after-connected-rental-car-cant-call-home/
... on Sunday, [Kari Paul] was left stranded on an unpaved road when the car's telematics system lost its cell signal. Without being able to call home, the rented Prius refused to move.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 22:54   #277
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·53·71 Posts

The perfect item for your Covid-19-pandemic doomsday prepping!
Quote:
This “smart, simple, sustainable” water bottle requires:
* a custom water bottle
* an iPhone app
* special canisters
* 3 of them actually
* a monthly payment
* I would assume a lithium ion battery?
* yes, it’s a four day lithium ion battery in my sustainable water bottle pic.twitter.com/Qi3BJoMDZU

— Lee Edwards 🏳️🌈🦾 (@terronk) March 7, 2020
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 02:06   #278
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·53·71 Posts

Tesla reportedly removing paid-for features after used-car sales

The Internet of Shit at its finest!
Old 2020-03-24, 02:42   #279
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25×173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
And the "funny" part is that most people seem completely okay with allowing the manufacturers to retain complete control over "their" purchased product.

Normally I wouldn't care about what others choose to buy with their own money, but when it leads to unencumbered products becoming extinct then perhaps I should worry.
Old 2020-04-07, 20:57   #280
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25×173 Posts
Default It's smart because it follows orders. Just not your orders.

Another perfectly functional "smart" TV is rendered useless by the maker. Gotta keep those idiots customers buying the latest encumbered junk awesomeness.

https://www.engadget.com/samsung-kil...103148010.html
Quote:
Samsung is killing its Smart View app for Android and iOS, which serves as a remote control for its older smart TVs. The company has updated the application’s descriptions to announce that it will no longer be supported starting on October 5th. Android Police first spotted the changes and noted that, in addition to its capability as a remote control, Smart View can also beam music and media to the company’s TVs.

That said, recent reviews on the Play Store and the App Store show that Smart View has been broken for a while now, with a lot of people complaining that it doesn’t work right anymore. Those who can still use it just fine can keep accessing it after October 5th so long as they don’t delete it —- it will no longer be available for download after that. For everyone else, Samsung recommends installing the SmartThings app to replace the older application, though it doesn’t seem compatible with all its older smart TVs.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-04-07 at 20:58
Old 2020-04-08, 02:23   #281
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3·3,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Another perfectly functional "smart" TV is rendered useless by the maker. Gotta keep those idiots customers buying the latest encumbered junk awesomeness.

https://www.engadget.com/samsung-kil...103148010.html
You're still using THAT old thing?! It was designed to die 5 years ago.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-08, 03:02   #282
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

10101101000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
You're still using THAT old thing?! It was designed to die 5 years ago.
Oh, yes, you are right. I should be thanking the maker for being so generous and allowing me to use it for this long.

Old 2020-04-09, 21:21   #283
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·53·71 Posts

Speaking of Internet of Shit, I hope those following this thread saw my link to a Nature article about a literal 'fecal recognition system' yesterday in the Pandemic thread in Lounge. It's in an academic publication, so presumably one or more Doctoral fecestheses will result from the research - imagine such a proud new PhD presenting a printed copy of same to the parents: "Mom, Dad, my reasearch is crap."
Old 2020-05-25, 12:25   #284
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25×173 Posts
Default If you don't want to be on the list just tell us. It's easy as 1, 2, phi, e, pi, rho, tau.

Doordash and Pizza Arbitrage

In the comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
Danny Sullivan May 18

I work on the Google Search team. We understand the concern about unauthorized order links. That's why we remove any order links from Google business profiles if a business reports there's no authorized relationship. They can do that following the instructions in our help page about order links here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/9503613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody that gets it
SM May 18

Hi Danny, I operate the stop sex offenders network. We put any name we can find on our list of sex offenders. I see you're on our list. If you have any complaints you can file a complaint via form A9874B, but make sure to also have form 5465DF8 with you, you can find a more detailed FAQ on our website, we're always happy to help if there's been a mistake!
Old 2020-06-02, 07:17   #285
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25×173 Posts
Default Well of course. You didn't expect something different did you? Did you?

https://www.engadget.com/wink-monthl...234146666.html
Quote:

Many smart home device makers rely on subscriptions to keep a steady stream of money coming in, but Wink is learning how that strategy can easily go wrong. The company has announced plans to move to a $5 per month subscription on May 13th (yes, just one week from now), and it’s mandatory. Decline to sign up and you’ll lose access to devices in the app as well as all automations. “Long term costs and recent economic events” (read: COVID-19) prompted the move, according to Wink, and the company didn’t want to sell user data to offset the costs of running services for free.

If you think that both the short notice and the threat of a hard cutoff will anger customers... well, you’re correct. Reddit users and others are incensed. They’re being asked to pay $5 per month to keep using the devices they already have in their homes, and one week gives them very little time to either weigh the merits of a subscription or find alternatives. “Pay the ransom or they kill our smart homes,” one user said.

We’ve asked Wink for comment. However it responds, the decision highlights the risks of basing your smart home system around free services without some kind of core offline functionality. While that kind of system can be very alluring so long as it lasts, you’re also trusting that the company can keep those free services running indefinitely. If it can’t, your connected household might be rendered useless with little warning.
It's not your stuff. You only bought and paid for it. Stop trying to use it for free when the seller wants to make more money. It's their way or no other way.
Old 2020-06-15, 09:33   #286
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

15A016 Posts
Default An Internet of Trouble lies ahead as root certificates begin to expire en masse

https://www.theregister.com/2020/06/...icates_expire/
Quote:
Expiring root certificates will cause devices like smart TVs and refrigerators to fail in the next few years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A commenter that understands
Re: start using DANE and CA if you must

This doesn't change the situation that if a certificate, ticket [or] key is needed to connect to a central server the item is subject to the whims of the manufacturer in withdrawing support.

All this does is further highlight the utter stupidity of all this "SMART" crap that is being churned out in the name of progress.