mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2020-05-31, 22:01   #1
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts
Default Windows help...

So, I didn't quite know where to put this...

I'm wondering if there's someone out there who can help me with something Windows related...

I have an installer for a project I'm working on. The client runs on Windows 10, and does stuff. I was about to start Alpha testing with some friends and their families and employees. Everything was looking great -- installed and ran fine in my development environment.

However, I've discovered that when the package is downloaded from a website (https, of course) Windows throws many warnings telling the user that the package is probably malware, and that they shouldn't install it.

Until I pay the $ $ $ for my own Code Signing Cert, does anyone have such a cert they would be willing to sign my installer package with?

I wouldn't need (nor want) your key itself. Instead, I would provide the EXE to sign. And this would only be for one or two alpha packages. By then I'll have my own key.

I understand the reasoning behind this. But it's annoying that the entire development code-chain used is all Open Source, but I still can't deploy the code without forking out a GPU's worth of $ $ $ for a bit of math...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-01, 22:17   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23×241 Posts

If you downloaded the exe using a browser then the file will have an alternate stream that marks its source as external. Just delete the alternate stream.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-01, 22:26   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

903810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Just delete the alternate stream.
Not exactly "user friendly"...

The plan in to have a dozen or so alpha testers. I don't want them scared away by warnings.
Old 2020-06-01, 22:37   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Not exactly "user friendly"...

The plan in to have a dozen or so alpha testers. I don't want them scared away by warnings.
Delete the alternate stream before you run the exe. Then you won't see warnings. It is the alternate stream that causes Windows to show warnings.
Old 2020-06-01, 22:54   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

234E16 Posts

Quote:
Delete the alternate stream before you run the exe. Then you won't see warnings. It is the alternate stream that causes Windows to show warnings.
It's entirely possible I'm being profoundly stupid (or, at least, ignorant) here, but...

I produced my installer at the command line (using NSIS). Tested it in my development environment. No warnings.

SSH'ed it up to a server. Downloaded it by way of a browser (Chrome; HTTPS). At least three warnings, saying basically "This is likely malware; DON'T RUN THIS".

Is there anyway *I*, as the developer, can do something such that the *user* doesn't experience this? Advise welcomed.
Old 2020-06-01, 23:25   #6
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Out of my Body

34478 Posts

https://www.theregister.com/2020/02/...rome_blocking/

so https should be warning free

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2020-06-01 at 23:29
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-01, 23:57   #7
dleclair

Mar 2003

3·52 Posts

I've been though this. You're going to need an EV code signing certificate otherwise Windows will continue to present dire warnings to everyone who downloads your app. There's no way around it. At first glance they're expensive but you can get discounts. PM me for details if you want.
dleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-02, 03:01   #8
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23·241 Posts

Make it a zip file. Then the zip file gets the alternate stream identifying the Internet origin.

So now the user can extract the exe locally and run it without any warnings.

BTW: I love that MS is extorting everyone into paying for a cert.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2020-06-02 at 03:01
Old 2020-06-15, 22:41   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,519 Posts

Quote:
Make it a zip file. Then the zip file gets the alternate stream identifying the Internet origin. So now the user can extract the exe locally and run it without any warnings.
Thanks for this suggestion, and for the counsel given by dleclair via PM.

Quote:
BTW: I love that MS is extorting everyone into paying for a cert.
Yeah, it's frustrating how expensive a bit of math can be. Again, I understand the reasoning, but come on! How much does it really cost to do a background check, anyway?

Just to share, I had forgotten what a pain-in-the-ass string parsing is in C. What was trivial to do in the Perl prototype is convoluted (to be polite) to implement in C...