mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2019-03-05, 20:57   #133
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×409 Posts

It could be from any of a number of movies. Or true crime stories. Or terrorism-related news stories: "Meet our demands or the hostages die."

When Canada detained Meng Wanzhou on a US extradition request, the Chinese took a Canadian already tried, convicted, and sentenced to 15 years, retried him, and sentenced him to death. Now,

China accuses detained Canadians of stealing state secrets. If the offense is deemed a serious threat to State security, the penalty is death.
Quote:
Canada said Friday that it will allow court hearings for the U.S. extradition request for Meng to proceed.

David Mulroney, a former Canadian ambassador to China, said the new allegations against Kovrig and Spavor are a response to that action.

"Every step in the process will be matched by a step by China. The desire is to raise the raise the pressure to extent that we simply give in," Mulroney said.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-19, 20:50   #134
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×409 Posts

Andrew Anglin, publisher of the Daily Stormer, has had a rough month. In court documents that may be found here, the August 16, 2017 Complaint, Obeidallah v.Anglin et al, alleging
Quote:
false and defamatory statements in a news article published by Defendants about Plaintiff Dean Obeidallah. Mr. Obeidallah is a comedian, commentator, and host of a national daily radio show. With malice and reckless disregard, Defendants published false statements asserting that Mr. Obeidallah is a terrorist and fabricated evidence to support those false accusations
in which the Defendants defaulted, resulted in a June 13, 2019 order to pay real and punitive damages, to the tune of 4 million dollars.

But wait -- there's more! In court documents that may be found here, the

April 18, 2017 Complaint, Gersh v. Anglin that
Quote:
1. This case asserts claims for invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and violations of Montana’s Anti-Intimidation Act arising out of a coordinated, repulsive, threatening campaign of anti-Semitic harassment directed at Tanya Gersh, a Jewish real estate agent living in Whitefish, Montana.

2. This terror campaign, known as a "troll storm," was launched by Andrew Anglin, a well-known neo-Nazi operating out of Ohio.
[...]
resulted in a default July 15, 2019 recommendation from the magistrate to the district Judge that Anglin be ordered to pay real and punitive damages to the tune of 14 million dollars.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2019-07-19 at 20:52 Reason: rewording
Old 2020-01-02, 23:28   #135
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

63108 Posts

This has to do with a lawsuit against Alex Jones et al. The descriptors of the case are

261st District Court
Travis County

CAUSE NO. D-1-GN-18-001835

NEIL HESLIN, Plaintiff, vs. ALEX E. JONES, INFOWARS LLC, FREE SPEECH SYSTEMS, LLC, AND OWEN SHROYER, defendants

The judge is Scott Jenkins.

Jones has been thumbing his nose at the Court's orders for discovery. (Discovery is turning over evidence to the opposing side in a court case.)

He is finding this an increasingly expensive way to try to fight a lawsuit. Filing meritless appeals isn't working out too well for him, either.

I'm not sure whether his tactics have anything to do with it, but he keeps changing legal counsel.

OPINION
Quote:
Appellants Alex E. Jones; Infowars, LLC; Free Speech Systems, LLC; and Owen
Shroyer seek to appeal what they assert is a denial by operation of law of their motion to dismiss
the claims asserted against them by Appellee Neil Heslin. Because we determine there is no
order from which to appeal, we dismiss the appeal for want of jurisdiction.
The kicker came with the judgement rendered (my emphasis):
Quote:
Having reviewed the record, it appears that the Court lacks jurisdiction over this appeal.
Therefore, the Court dismisses the appeal for want of jurisdiction. Appellant shall pay all costs
relating to this appeal, both in this Court and in the court below.
So Defendants got stuck with all attorney's fees and court costs for filing a ludicrous appeal.

On October 18, Judge Scott Jenkins ordered Defendants Jones et al to pay $25,875 in legal fees "to be taxed as costs of court," after granting a motion to find Defendants in contempt for violating the court's previous order for discovery. Judge Jenkins also denied Defendant's motion to dismiss the suit.

On December 20, he ordered Defendants Jones et al to pay $65,825 for failure to comply with his October order for discovery. He denied Infowars' motion to dismiss the case and ordered Jones and the site to pay an additional $34,323.80, for a total of $100,148.80 in a single day.

And all this is just in court-imposed sanctions in a lawsuit that hasn't even gone to trial. And if Defendants continue their contemptuous behavior, there may not be a trial -- at least not to decide liability.

Judge Jenkins did not grant Plaintiff's motion for default judgement on December 20, but he wrote that he may later reconsider and grant the motion for default judgement, which would mean that Defendants would be deemed liable due to their failure to follow the law in conducting their defense. If that were to happen, a jury would be empaneled for the sole purpose of determining how much Defendants had to pay. Plaintiffs are seeking relief in excess of $1,000,000.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-01-02 at 23:30
Old 2020-05-20, 11:27   #136
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×409 Posts
Default And now a word from beyond the grave...

The woman behind 'Roe vs. Wade' didn't change her mind on abortion. She was paid
Quote:
When Norma McCorvey, the anonymous plaintiff in the landmark Roe vs. Wade case, came out against abortion in 1995, it stunned the world and represented a huge symbolic victory for abortion opponents: "Jane Roe" had gone to the other side. For the remainder of her life, McCorvey worked to overturn the law that bore her name.

But it was all a lie, McCorvey says in a documentary filmed in the months before her death in 2017, claiming she only did it because she was paid by antiabortion groups including Operation Rescue.

"I was the big fish. I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they'd put me out in front of the cameras and tell me what to say. That's what I'd say," she says in "AKA Jane Roe," which premieres Friday on FX. "It was all an act. I did it well too. I am a good actress."

In what she describes as a "deathbed confession," a visibly ailing McCorvey restates her support for reproductive rights in colorful terms: "If a young woman wants to have an abortion, that's no skin off my ass. That's why they call it choice."
Old 2020-05-27, 23:56   #137
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

232578 Posts

Gov Andy Beshear of Kentucky addresses the actions of demonstrators who hanged him in effigy. Starts just after 9 minutes.

kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-28, 01:27   #138
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

201516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Gov Andy Beshear of Kentucky addresses the actions of demonstrators who hanged him in effigy. Starts just after 9 minutes.
I watched the first 35 minutes of that. There are hard working folks like them (the state staff) all over. Those others are idiots.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-28, 11:30   #139
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

63108 Posts

Hanging in effigy is a fine old tradition, practiced in the British Colonies before the War of Independence. No doubt our modern COVID-19 crybabies imagine themselves to be modern-day avatars of the Sons of Liberty...

The Stamp Act Riots
Quote:
Andrew Oliver could have been excused if he didn’t feel very welcome in his hometown of Boston. After awaking on August 14, 1765, the wealthy 59-year-old merchant and provincial official learned that his effigy was hanging from a century-old elm tree in front of Deacon Elliot’s house. After dusk, angry Bostonians paraded Oliver’s likeness through the streets and destroyed the brick building he had recently built along the waterfront. In case Oliver still hadn’t received the hint, the mob beheaded his effigy in front of his finely appointed home before throwing stones through his windows, demolishing his carriage house and imbibing the contents of his wine cellar.