Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-05-17, 11:50   #12
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

CC716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
If there is money to be made then they (whoever "they" are) will do it.

So if you (the collective you) don't like it then don't pay for the crap they churn out. Just ignore it. Then it will soon die out from lack of funds.

So yes, audience approval does matter. They need people to pay for it.
In discussing an innermost-circle-of-hell abomination, "Just ignore it" is exactly the kind of advice I would expect from Dr. Evil. I commend you for graciously refraining from claiming to have originated the idea yourself

Back in the say, "Scheib job" was synonymous with truly crappy auto body painting. Earl Scheib founded his company in 1937, and it stayed in business until 2010, outliving its founder by 8 years. Despite its unsavory reputation, it garnered enough customers to remain profitable for decades.

The folks who think there is money to be made in resurrecting dead actors and actresses to shill for their toilet paper or whatever, will do it whether it turns out to make money for them or not. Even it doesn't, and even if the enterprise sends them into bankruptcy, the damage will have been done.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-17, 12:26   #13
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25×173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The folks who think there is money to be made in resurrecting dead actors and actresses to shill for their toilet paper or whatever, will do it whether it turns out to make money for them or not. Even it doesn't, and even if the enterprise sends them into bankruptcy, the damage will have been done.
I must have missed something. What "damage" is being done here?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-17, 14:24   #14
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

11·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
Does the audience approval matter?
Didn't "Star Wars" do this with Carrie F. and Peter Cushing ?
Nimoy's son is discussing bringing Spock back.
Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing: In Ep. IX, there is very short instance of a young Skywalker and Leia. That's the CGI part. In "Rogue One," they had a doppelganger playing Peter Cushings' character from Ep. IV. He was not very good.

Audience approval: Word-of-mouth travels rather fast. When people start to hear something is not worth watching, they stay away.

Adam Nimoy has more rights to reconstitute his father than anyone else.

All this visual recreation is fine. What about the voices? Doing those and having them sound authentic seems like it would be very difficult.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-17, 14:27   #15
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

214758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
All this visual recreation is fine. What about the voices? Doing those and having them sound authentic seems like it would be very difficult.
Not any more. With a high-end GPU this can now be done in real-time. Perfectly lip-synced with the avitar.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-17, 16:56   #16
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

11×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Not any more. With a high-end GPU this can now be done in real-time. Perfectly lip-synced with the avitar.
I am sure they can. However, to make Spock sound like Spock, his voice is required. All the tones, pitch, and patterns, would be needed. He had his own style of speaking, and so on.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-17, 17:04   #17
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

233D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
All the tones, pitch, and patterns, would be needed. He had his own style of speaking, and so on.
Yup. They feed in many samples to train an adversarial AI. Then they can have "Spock" say anything, convincingly.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote