Old 2018-04-16, 13:07   #210
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

132578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanNinja View Post
I am confident I will maintain interest. Right after I made my first post yesterday, I downloaded everything I needed, researched how to split the workload across computers, and started crunching on two of my three computers. My plan for this morning was to split it up to my third computer as well. I am no stranger to long tasks -- I have done a small amount of GIMPS crunching. While I have not done anything that takes around a year, I have done GIMPS tasks that take well over a month.

If you will not reserve S606 for me, that's fine -- I'll look into your suggestions, more GIMPS work, or other BOINC projects. However, I ask that you allow me to reserve it. I'll send you progress reports as often as you want as proof that I'm sticking with it. One if my flaws is being stubborn :)
Will you be using PRPNet to distribute the work across the various computers and cores?
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 13:18   #211
germanNinja

Apr 2018

168 Posts

No. I used srfile to split up the work by k, and again to combine multiple k's together in a sieve file. If one computer runs out of work, it is fairly simple for me to split the largest file again. The computer I bring to school has to go through the school's proxy which blocks PRPNET, at least for primegrid.
germanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 15:07   #212
pepi37

Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Will you be using PRPNet to distribute the work across the various computers and cores?
Rogue this idea was always on my mind, but reading , and setup PRPNet is definitely is not easy task , especially if you dont have knowledge for that kind of work. So I take piece or work and split in XLS table :) It is faster :)
pepi37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 15:47   #213
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
Rogue this idea was always on my mind, but reading , and setup PRPNet is definitely is not easy task , especially if you dont have knowledge for that kind of work. So I take piece or work and split in XLS table :) It is faster :)
What is difficult with it? Installing a database is the hardest part. PM me with questions.
Old 2018-04-16, 15:49   #214
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanNinja View Post
No. I used srfile to split up the work by k, and again to combine multiple k's together in a sieve file. If one computer runs out of work, it is fairly simple for me to split the largest file again. The computer I bring to school has to go through the school's proxy which blocks PRPNET, at least for primegrid.
It probably won't block if within the network, but there is only one way to find out.
Old 2020-02-27, 10:54   #215
unconnected

May 2009
Russia, Moscow

46128 Posts

BTW, what is the right options to test CRUS bases on PRPNet? I'd tried to use servertype=1 and servertype=3, in both cases search continues despite of fact that prime for specific k has been already found. I remember in early versions of PRPNet (4.x maybe) there was 'sierpinskiriesel=1' option that prevented such behavior. Any suggestions?
unconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-27, 14:00   #216
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10110101011112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconnected View Post
BTW, what is the right options to test CRUS bases on PRPNet? I'd tried to use servertype=1 and servertype=3, in both cases search continues despite of fact that prime for specific k has been already found. I remember in early versions of PRPNet (4.x maybe) there was 'sierpinskiriesel=1' option that prevented such behavior. Any suggestions?
servertype=1

If you have more k then clients, then you might also want:

onekperinstance=1

If you e-mail me your prpserver.log I can take a look at what is happening.
Old 2020-03-19, 04:16   #217
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×2,539 Posts

Can someone post the latest Windows version of srsieve2 here along with a README or other help file that shows how to use it ?

I would like to do some sieving on many k's for Riesel base 3. All are k > 25G.

Thank you.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2020-03-19 at 04:16
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-19, 11:54   #218
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

16258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Can someone post the latest Windows version of srsieve2 here along with a README or other help file that shows how to use it ?

I would like to do some sieving on many k's for Riesel base 3. All are k > 25G.

Thank you.
1. Download mtsieve here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mtsieve/files/ (left click the file and choose open or save when asked by the browser)

2. Unzip or open folder and copy srsieve2 to your working folder

3. open cmd prompt as administrator or directly from the working folder using shift+right click on mouse and choose "open commandwindow"

4. type following in the new commandwindow:

srsieve2 -P (max sieve value) -w 10000000 (can be excluded but I have found on my quad that I'll run faster if I set w(orksize) to 10M primes compared to 1M primes as default per thread) -W (number of threads you want srsieve2 to use, it makes no sence to not set it to the amount of available threads) -n (min n value) -N (Max n value) -s (name of sequence file)

5. Hit enter and srsieve2 should start processing work at once

This will get you going from scratch

In case of problems, throw me a PM and I'll try to help you

Take care and stay safe.

If resume is nescesarily at any point, I think this will work:

srsieve2 -p (min sieve value to start from - may not be nescessary if using all threads) -P (max sieve value) -w 10000000 (can be excluded but I have found on my quad that I'll run faster if I set w(orksize) to 10M primes compared to 1M primes as default per thread) -W (number of threads you want srsieve2 to use, it makes no sence to not set it to the amount of available threads) -n (min n value) -N (Max n value) -i (name of output file created in point 5 or file created by srsieve or srfile that needs further sieving)
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-19, 13:16   #219
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

132578 Posts

srsieve2 cannot read some formats output by srsieve/srfile. You will want output from those programs to be in "pfgw" format so that srsieve2 can read them.

Note that srsieve2 does not support Legendre tables yet. I should have some time to work on that in the near future.

Of course any suggestions for improvements are welcome.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2020-03-19 at 13:18
Old 2020-03-20, 06:42   #220
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

27AC16 Posts

Thank you Kenneth and Mark!
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote