Old 2018-02-25, 15:56   #419
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

23·3·7·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Yes, the cops were obviously nervous. I suppose having a guy raise a .45 pistol at you might have that effect. And the multiple shots were from multiple cops, independently making the same decision that this guy had to be taken out. .....
Two officers are mentioned. 16 rounds between them? Did it take until the last few to hit their intended target?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 18:25   #420
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

23·13·97 Posts

Quote:
Faith Consultant
‏ @jndevereux
20h20 hours ago

If owning a gun was an effective means of self-defense, your insurance rates would go down when you bought one. But they go up, because actuaries have proven that you’re far, far more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than someone attacking you.
658 replies 31,439 retweets 105,222 likes
Anyone from the US who can provide evidence which supports this claim?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 18:39   #421
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

32×193 Posts

From Esurance:

Quote:
Many home insurance companies (like Esurance) don't increase premiums for gun ownership. In fact, they may not even require homeowners to disclose whether they own a firearm or plan on owning one in the future. The only way coverage would increase is if you select the aforementioned insurance rider for your collection.

Remember, homeowners premiums are determined in part by evaluating the risk of insuring your property. That includes determining the replacement cost of the home and personal belongings, in addition to incurred expenses if you're held responsible for an accident or injury.

Other home insurance companies (that aren't Esurance) may feel that having a firearm in the home is too much of a risk. Rates may be adjusted accordingly, or your insurer could decide not to extend coverage. For this reason, it's good measure to shop around for homeowners insurance and ask if gun ownership will impact policy rates or insurability.
Second source: https://budgeting.thenest.com/owning...tes-32630.html

The quick view consensus seems to be that your insurance provider will decide whether to increase your rates based primarily on whether they feel like liability for damage is likely to be increased, not for the cost of the gun itself (unless it's a rare, more expensive one). Given the increased chance of gun violence (whether self-defense, intra-family violence, or what have you), I'd be stunned if most premiums didn't increase in some form.

Last fiddled with by wombatman on 2018-02-25 at 18:39
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 20:47   #422
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

7·1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
Given the increased chance of gun violence (whether self-defense, intra-family violence, or what have you), I'd be stunned if most premiums didn't increase in some form.
Yeah.

Statistically, the chance of dying because of a gunshot wound increases if one carries a gun, or has them in their home. Interestingly, if one is "carrying" but is not ready to shoot an assailant without hesitation they are likely to die because the assailant grabs their gun, and then shoots them.

Secondly, it is well known in the physical security fields that it is almost impossible to protect an individual if the attackers are willing to trade their lives for the target's.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-26, 15:11   #423
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

72×67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Two officers are mentioned. 16 rounds between them? Did it take until the last few to hit their intended target?
I should read the stuff I link to more thoroughly before posting. The article I gave the link to refers to a New York Daily News article, Victims of police gunfight outside Empire State Building feel trauma as five-year anniversary of shooting nears. Pretty damning stuff.

Quote:
Five of the victims filed a joint Manhattan Supreme Court lawsuit against the city and the officers four years ago, charging the cops ignored the NYPD patrol guide and their tactical training.
[snip]

Quote:
Five years later, the NYPD has done little to change its tactics when confronting armed combatants at populated locations, experts said.

“Better training could minimize injuries to bystanders, but the changes to training would need to be systemic and the NYPD has never exhibited any meaningful inclination to inaugurate fundamental changes,” said Daniel Modell, a retired NYPD lieutenant who used to work in the department’s firearms and tactics section. “In fact, except around the periphery, firearms training for law enforcement hasn’t changed in over a century.’

On average, about two bystanders are hit by police gunfire a year, according to a review of NYPD firearm discharge reports between 2012 and 2015. The 2016 report has yet to be published.

Between 2013 and 2015, six bystanders were wounded by police gunfire. Two additional bystanders were killed — including, in one case, the victim of a violent assault police were trying to stop in 2014, records show.

A year after the Empire State building turned into the O.K. Corral, NYPD cops opened fire on a mentally ill man in Times Square when he pretended to point a gun at them — but the officers instead struck a pair of innocent bystanders.

The NYPD did not immediately return a request for comment on the Empire State Building shooting or subsequent changes in training.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2018-02-26 at 15:12 Reason: Had to edit out photo caption and credit
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-03, 19:14   #424
schickel

"Frank <^>"
Dec 2004
CDP Janesville

2·1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I should read the stuff I link to more thoroughly before posting. The article I gave the link to refers to a New York Daily News article, Victims of police gunfight outside Empire State Building feel trauma as five-year anniversary of shooting nears. Pretty damning stuff.
Wow, so people who spend their lives training for carrying a weapon don't always hit what they aim at? Who'da thunk it? Well at least the teachers that carry CWs will be better than that; if not at least they'll be able to four foot putt on the gold course later, amiright?

Strangely enough there was an active shooter incident on the same day as the Parkland shooting that I had not heard about until just today. Down in Amarillo, TX, there was a gunman who entered a chruch and was holding the attendees at gun-point. Luckily it ended well when the police arrived and shot the gunman......oh, wait a minute, it looks like what actually happened is that people in the church wrestled the gunman to the ground, someone grabbed the gun from him and was holding it when the police entered. When ordered to drop the gun he tried to place it gently on the ground rather than throw it down; since he didn't comply "fast enough", he was shot twice by the police.

Looking at the accompanying photo, it's lucky he's still around to tell the story. Unfortunately it looks like he might have to fight with the city about having the resulting medical bills covered. Though I guess it's his own fault that he didn't have comprehensive enough insurance.
schickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-03, 23:28   #425
JM Montolio A

Feb 2018

11000002 Posts
Post Guns are pretty. But you can make anything good with it.

At Europe, nordic countries are full of hunting guns.
And very few criminal actions.
Can be because nordic forest is full of game.
Can be because nordic society is one step ahead.

JM
JM Montolio A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-04, 03:02   #426
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

63238 Posts

Here's a story I heard a while back about the Parkland shooting. It appears that the building's construction may have saved many lives.

Hurricane windows saved lives during Parkland shooting
Quote:
If it hadn't been for hurricane-proof windows, more students could be dead. Windows meant to protect a building from Mother Nature saved students from a sniper-style killer.

Investigators believe Nikolas Cruz went up to the third floor of the freshman building attempting to create a sniper's nest. Investigators say Cruz shot 16 rounds into a window in hopes of shooting down onto students fleeing the building in the courtyard.

That hurricane window, however, would not break. According to CBS News, investigators believe Cruz attempted to reload his gun but it got jammed.
If Our Hero had learned to reload his weapon properly, his mission would have been much more successful. Also, if he had done more research, he would have discovered how sturdy the windows were. This illustrates the need for proper planning in the use of firearms. I'm sure the NRA would agree!
Old 2018-03-08, 03:35   #427
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23×241 Posts

Clearly having more guns would have prevented this from happening

http://time.com/5187570/boy-shoots-sister-ohio/
Quote:
A prosecutor says an 8-year-old Ohio boy loaded a rifle, repeatedly shot his 4-year-old sister at home and then informed their mother, who left work to check the girl’s injuries, cleaned up a bloody bed cover and then returned to work, leaving the children alone again.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-08, 13:16   #428
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

72·67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Clearly having more guns would have prevented this from happening

http://time.com/5187570/boy-shoots-sister-ohio/
Quote:
A prosecutor says an 8-year-old Ohio boy loaded a rifle, repeatedly shot his 4-year-old sister at home and then informed their mother, who left work to check the girl’s injuries, cleaned up a bloody bed cover and then returned to work, leaving the children alone again.
Reminds me of an old Charles Addams cartoon. There's a lady at the counter in a gun store. She's handling one of their pistols. She's asking the clerk, "But why do I need a license? It's only for use around the house."
Old 2018-03-19, 14:55   #429
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

15A716 Posts

Clearly having more guns would have prevented this from happening also

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43455550
Quote:
A 13-year-old girl in Mississippi has died after allegedly being shot by her nine-year-old brother over a video game, police say.

They said the boy grabbed a gun on Saturday afternoon after his sister would not give up the controller.

He allegedly shot her from behind, and the bullet entered her brain.
At least now he won't have to share the controller with her. So it is all good, right?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote