mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-04-26, 14:03   #1
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

838410 Posts
Default Paging files

Hi just wondering how much my PC might speed up if I use paging files

room for paging files on :

a external harddrive the size of the one in my pc( 232 GB(228 free))

a usb drive(7.45 GB(almost 7.45 GB free))

an ipod(7.33GB (5.68 GB free))

my harddrive inside the PC(232 GB(201 GB free))

ram = 4 GB (DDR2 ?)

cpu = intel pentium D 2.8 GHz

I was thinking of using it for pari etc. (but if I get prime95 or something quick to do test I might reconsider) can anyone tell me how much room things take up and how fast i could help if I could run it on all of them ?
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 14:05   #2
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

203008 Posts
Default

oh and can anyone point me towards a free registry error corrector etc tried a run with one you see on tv but it won't fix them for free think it found over 400 errors etc.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 14:36   #3
CADavis
 
CADavis's Avatar
 
Jul 2005
Des Moines, Iowa, USA

2528 Posts
Default

www.lmgtfy.com/?q=page+file+optimize+performance
CADavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 14:41   #4
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

so basically take all data off one of them and put one there? I don't understand how to use the paging file on a different partition on the direct harddrive.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2010-04-26 at 14:41
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 19:24   #5
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

805010 Posts
Default

Page files = HDD access = slow
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 19:33   #6
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

I figured that Uncwilly just double checking. I suck with computer stuff even though I have done programming.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 20:35   #7
Jens K Andersen
 
Jens K Andersen's Avatar
 
Feb 2006
Denmark

111001102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
oh and can anyone point me towards a free registry error corrector etc tried a run with one you see on tv but it won't fix them for free think it found over 400 errors etc.
Read some information not written by registry cleaners and their marketers, for example at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner, before going further. I wouldn't personally expose a working computer to a registry cleaner no matter how many alleged errors the computer had.
Jens K Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 20:50   #8
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

should of saw that coming even I knew enough in .net to (though I never intend to) make a virus that could hide behind some other programming.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 13:23   #9
joblack
 
joblack's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
n00bville

10110101012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
Hi just wondering how much my PC might speed up if I use paging files

room for paging files on :

a external harddrive the size of the one in my pc( 232 GB(228 free))

a usb drive(7.45 GB(almost 7.45 GB free))

an ipod(7.33GB (5.68 GB free))

my harddrive inside the PC(232 GB(201 GB free))

ram = 4 GB (DDR2 ?)

cpu = intel pentium D 2.8 GHz

I was thinking of using it for pari etc. (but if I get prime95 or something quick to do test I might reconsider) can anyone tell me how much room things take up and how fast i could help if I could run it on all of them ?
The best method against too much paging is having enough main memory.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 13:27   #10
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The best method against too much paging is having enough main memory.
I have 4GB but if I want to use my codes etc. in pari I usually go allocatemem(932249567) then I'm surprised anything works if it's real busy.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Posting log files or other text files Xyzzy Forum Feedback 3 2018-12-30 19:37
Help using .ini files only in v24 petrw1 PrimeNet 1 2008-10-15 03:24
Windows XP BSOD Prime95 Blend Test - Paging Problem??? john6205 Software 18 2006-11-20 17:21
The Status Files Axel Fox PrimeNet 3 2004-07-20 02:27
Paging whoever is P-1 trial-factoring 3.05M - 3.13M GP2 Data 0 2003-11-04 08:43

All times are UTC. The time now is 16:39.

Fri Jun 5 16:39:37 UTC 2020 up 72 days, 14:12, 0 users, load averages: 1.24, 1.44, 1.41

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.