mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2011-09-13, 22:51   #1
dabaichi

Sep 2011

22×23 Posts
Default How to limit prime95 to use only one Core?

Now, if I run on Prime 95, two workers start to run. But I only want one core to do the calculation. So I have to manually stop one worker. Is there any way to do it automatically, that only one worker runs when the software starts and gets assignments?
dabaichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 00:34   #2
Jwb52z

Sep 2002

811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaichi View Post
Now, if I run on Prime 95, two workers start to run. But I only want one core to do the calculation. So I have to manually stop one worker. Is there any way to do it automatically, that only one worker runs when the software starts and gets assignments?
Go to the test menu and the "Worker Windows" option. In that box tell it 1 worker window and 1 CPU. I think you have to unreserve the exponent you don't want since it is already running.
Jwb52z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 02:34   #3
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts

Getting it to run just one worker might be a bit complicated when it first starts after installing...but as soon as you have started it, or any time thereafter, just follow jwb's directions. Consider being friendly and unreserving manually the exponent(s) your worker won't do, on your "assignments" page when you log into mersenne.org; otherwise the problem will take care of itself in 90 days.

Just curious why you are doing this? Are you running a laptop with thermal issues, or are you concerned about interactive performance? In the latter case, reading undoc.txt and setting MaxCPU=95 (for 95% CPU utilization) has been very effective at resolving priority inversion problems for me -- particularly downloads not quite completing under Opera web browser.

Also, if you are running P-1 or ECM, you will want to pay attention to how much memory you give it (under options) and what time of day it can use more memory. What you see available as physical memory under "task manager" in windows is a good guide.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 15:43   #4
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

11·13·17 Posts

You can also simply move the assignment to the first core in worktodo.txt.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 00:01   #5
dabaichi

Sep 2011

22×23 Posts

Thank you all!
dabaichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 04:30   #6
Jwb52z

Sep 2002

811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
Getting it to run just one worker might be a bit complicated when it first starts after installing...but as soon as you have started it, or any time thereafter, just follow jwb's directions. Consider being friendly and unreserving manually the exponent(s) your worker won't do, on your "assignments" page when you log into mersenne.org; otherwise the problem will take care of itself in 90 days.

Just curious why you are doing this? Are you running a laptop with thermal issues, or are you concerned about interactive performance? In the latter case, reading undoc.txt and setting MaxCPU=95 (for 95% CPU utilization) has been very effective at resolving priority inversion problems for me -- particularly downloads not quite completing under Opera web browser.

Also, if you are running P-1 or ECM, you will want to pay attention to how much memory you give it (under options) and what time of day it can use more memory. What you see available as physical memory under "task manager" in windows is a good guide.
I didn't have any problems doing what I described immediately after installing Prime95 on the 8th of September.
Old 2011-09-16, 12:43   #7
Christenson

Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb52z View Post
I didn't have any problems doing what I described immediately after installing Prime95 on the 8th of September.
Remember, I said "just follow jwb's directions"...I had no doubt even then they worked fine.

The problem was that you installed P95, it started, and THEN you set it up to do it the way you wanted...not you installed P95, told it what you wanted (or told it not to start until you said "go", and then proceeded to set things up, and then said "go"), and then it started.

Call me a control freak in that respect....computers are supposed to do what I want, exactly, not what P95 intended!

Last fiddled with by Christenson on 2011-09-16 at 12:47
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 02:16   #8
Jwb52z

Sep 2002

811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
Remember, I said "just follow jwb's directions"...I had no doubt even then they worked fine.

The problem was that you installed P95, it started, and THEN you set it up to do it the way you wanted...not you installed P95, told it what you wanted (or told it not to start until you said "go", and then proceeded to set things up, and then said "go"), and then it started.

Call me a control freak in that respect....computers are supposed to do what I want, exactly, not what P95 intended!
I was surprised that it didn't have some kind of default other than me telling the account to "do what makes sense" before it did anything, but it let me tell it how many workers and CPUs before it started. I didn't know it would do that either at first. :)