Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2003-10-14, 22:12   #1
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

5·47 Posts
Default broken 1.6A

Known bad box ... what to do?

So, a feature was added to our stats system ... bad tests category. At some point last fall, some doublechecks egan needing a third test. This went by me while I did about four months of 33M. Having seen the problem, some corrections were made and 10 dc's used to test have failed to match.

Can it be trusted to trial factor? I suppose I could test with low bit known factors and a few in the SSE2 range. Box might work at 1.6 (stock) but I'll never trust it again, besides that's too slow for me. Trial factoring would be a short term solution - replacement is inevitable.
PageFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-15, 21:44   #2
battlemaxx

Nov 2002

43 Posts

Bad box...cut it loose now...
battlemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-15, 22:56   #3
outlnder

Aug 2002

31810 Posts

After my 1.6A continued to give errors after going back to stock speeds with the slowest memory settings, I sold it on Agora for $35.
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-15, 23:15   #4
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

EB16 Posts

I know of your problems, they couldn't be resolved. It is starting to look that way with this box too.

I'm usually very thorough in my research. Last year I solved a problem that baffled a mill, and the community, for forty years. I nearly pulled my hair out but in the end I persevered and found what went wrong.

The latest insanity is a drift in iteration times. I did fix the AM radio interference - that was due to the asynchronous ram / fsb. Never an error flag, never a burp in torture. vcore is stock, so it's not a case of NSDS - rather, a gradual drift in the ability to produce correct results. No other incidents were observed with this box - it runs for a long time, only going down when mains power does - zero crashes since May last year.

I have a feeling its hammer time. If I can be bothered, I could put it in a new boart. The new boart will have a 2.4C so I doubt I can be bothered.
Old 2003-10-15, 23:18   #5
PageFault

Aug 2002
Dawn of the Dead

23510 Posts

Just out of interest, did that, or any other suspect cpu, ever go in a new boart? I'm loathe to think a cpu can croak but the boart is another thing - never a cheapie for me again.

I recall checking your stats and you generated many error flags - that difference bothers me - zero flags and zero matching dc's

Quote:
Originally posted by outlnder
After my 1.6A continued to give errors after going back to stock speeds with the slowest memory settings, I sold it on Agora for $35.
Old 2003-10-16, 01:40   #6
outlnder

Aug 2002

2·3·53 Posts

If you look at outlnder02 or outlnder52, you will see a lot of zero errors but incorrect results. These 2 are the same machine, just named differently.

As to the boart question, yes I put the 1.6 in a different boart and it still produced errors. I think somerthing on the chip got fried with the overclocking.

outlnder02 was on a cheapo ECS boart. I hate to admit it, but Xyzzy was right about the Intel chipsets. I just wish they didn't cost so much.
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote