Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

5·1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I only have a desktop land line phone. Mobile phone not required.
If you have any windows, you can be spied upon. Even normal construction with standard framing can be penetrated without the need to tap the windows.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 03:09   #13
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3·13·151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
If you have any windows, you can be spied upon. Even normal construction with standard framing can be penetrated without the need to tap the windows.
Sure, but that requires line-of-sight.

Internet connected, and cell tower connected, devices can be tracked from the other side of the planet.

The number of potential watchers for the two cases is very different. One requires very deliberate physical positioning to achieve; the other can be done from anywhere..
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 11:10   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,733 Posts

Quote:
Sure, but that requires line-of-sight.

Internet connected, and cell tower connected, devices can be tracked from the other side of the planet.

The number of potential watchers for the two cases is very different. One requires very deliberate physical positioning to achieve; the other can be done from anywhere..
If I were the prying kind, and thank the Lord I'm not, Sir, I'd take it as a challenge to find your lair, pour my derision on everything you do and expose every weakness, however carefully hidden.

With apologies to Anon and to Roger Waters.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 11:18   #15
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3·13·151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
... pour my derision on everything you do and expose every weakness, however carefully hidden.
You would be amongst the good company of my minions if you did that.
Old 2019-07-14, 06:22   #16
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

I dream for the day when everybody spies on me and they show clips of my life on big wall TVs in the city and supermarkets.... I'd be a celebrity then, hehe.... But it would be a boring material, they will see me eating, sleeping, burping, farting, arguing with family members, peeing and shitting and occasionally masturbating in the bathroom...

I remember a story, maybe I told it here sometime in the past, but I am getting older and my memory is getting shorter...

Sometimes during the end of the last century I was leading a small team of guys taking care of a "computing office" (that is the name communists give to what you actually call "information system department", or IT, or MIS, in a company) in a shoes factory in my hometown. No joke. They paid very well and I left a university job for it. At the time they still had a "room sized" mainframe computer, remnant from the communist era, with terminals in all the buildings, but the x86 PCs were taking over. Our mainly job was to compute salaries for about 5000 people working there (which were mostly paid by operation, according with their daily work, a hell of a headache), pulling wires (aten by rats) from the cabinets and walls, etc, but we also did interesting stuff, like programs to optimize the surface arrangement for cutting the leather (a lot of math! try arranging different form of shoes' leather on the leather coming out from the roll, and you see! And then, do that in a 8-bit Z80), which constituted a "big secret" at the time, we even held some patents for such a job.

Once I found a guy hacking into our systems. I was fresh from the uni, and having a lot of dreams in my head, and hacking other people's computers was something I could do very well, and I would not refrain doing it, if the situation required it, hehe. So, I cut the guy's access and insulated him as much as I could, and took the situation to the managing director (who was also owning over 50% of that business at the time).

He didn't believe me. His reaction was something like "who the fuck do you think you are? NASA? who would be interested in hacking a shoes factory?".

Later on I found the guy, it was not a competitor, neither the Russian KGB, but a high-school son of somebody in the management, he used to come to his parent's office to play computer games, and he decided it would be much fun to play games with us. He got some ears pulled most probably, at least in the metaphorical sense (I hope, in the physical sense too, but I am not so sure about that).

But I learned an important lesson at that time, and now I am asking you (general you) in turn: who the fuck do you think you are? NASA? Who would be interested in hacking you?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-07-14 at 06:50 Reason: spacing, grammar, (lot of) typos
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 07:05   #17
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3·13·151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
... now I am asking you (general you) in turn: who the fuck do you think you are? NASA? Who would be interested in hacking you?
Everybody is interested in hacking you (the collective you). Yes, really.

Even the seemingly most mundane and boring person still has valuable data that leeches marketing droids can use. And they will not hesitate to sell to someone else, anyone else.

Don't fool yourself into thinking "I am boring so therefore quite safe". Everyone has weak points. Things they don't want revealed. Things they don't want to lose. Things they want to protect.

One example: Do you (the collective you) have online banking? Then you are a target. Even if you (the collective you) say you have no money, your account can be still used for fraud by accepting illegal payments and doing transfers etc. And now you are deemed a criminal. Enjoy being Buck's plaything for the next five years.
Old 2019-07-14, 07:37   #18
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

22×59 Posts

Letting data companies obtain your locations, emails, etc. for ad targeting and data mining is one thing, but letting someone else steal your banking, identity information or access to your camera/microphone is another thing.

Google probably knows more about us than how much we know ourselves (general speaking), that is okay (mostly because we let them). But we should definitely prevent our more sensitive information from the hands of hackers or e-criminals, or let them have control of our computer cameras/microphones.

But I do agree, at least for me, I am just some boring person, highly doubt anyone (or entity) high enough would be interested in hacking my devices. And if they really wanted to they probably can. Don't think any individual would stand a chance against big government entities like the NSA when they really want to hack your device.

Perks of being in the 21st century.
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 08:21   #19
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3×13×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheuk View Post
But I do agree, at least for me, I am just some boring person, highly doubt anyone (or entity) high enough would be interested in hacking my devices.
It is done in bulk. Unless you are some super-high-profile person, then there isn't anyone sifting through details to pick their next target. It is all done automagically, by those new fangled computer thingies.

It might even the one of those "free" apps you installed. It might be all of those "free" apps you installed. It might also be all those paid apps you installed. It will also be the OS.
Old 2019-07-14, 10:09   #20
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

8,963 Posts

Quote:
It will also be the OS.
Wrong, it IS the OS, haha. Man, for someone obsessed with these things, you are quite optimistic, placing that in the future. M$ and their competitors are sucking data from you using the OS's for ages. Word and Excel store data about the users who opened the files, even if you only viewed the file (no editing was done), and you distribute these data without your knowledge, when you share those files, etc. There are everywhere idiots "out to get you". We never doubted that. It is just that we do not give much of a ship, we trust our abilities to protect ourselves when it come to "important" things (like the mentioned, bank account, or masturbating in the bathroom ) and we also have a reasonable level of trust in the system, and trust in society, and in evolution, in general. Of course there are weeds in any crop field, and there are suicidal guys (on long term, all "bad guys" are "suicidal", from the evolution point of view, think about, they believe themselves cleverer that the other people, and just do things ending up in them being caught, killed, marginalized, Darwin-awarded, etc., etc.) everywhere, and the wolves will eat the fur of the fox that can't take care of her own fur (Romanian proverb). But from here to, for example, "not owning a mobile because the bad guys can track me from the other side of the world", it is a long way. Who on the other side of the world (beside of people from the mersenneforum , who physically, in fact, all of you are on the other side of the world) gives a ship or what I am doing?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-07-14 at 10:14
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 10:22   #21
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

3×13×151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
... who physically, in fact, all of you are on the other side of the world) gives a ship or what I am doing?
Probably no one I guess. But that isn't the point. It is about what you have (and can lose), and what you are worth to others as a source of income by giving your viewing time to adverts or providing a bank account to be exploited, or whatever.
Old 2019-07-14, 11:58   #22
M344587487

"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

22·52·7 Posts

Quote:
Letting data companies obtain your locations, emails, etc. for ad targeting and data mining is one thing,
A horribly insidious thing that is more of a threat to the average person than phishing.

Quote:
Google probably knows more about us than how much we know ourselves (general speaking), that is okay (mostly because we let them).

That is not okay. That a large chunk of those that had the nouse to think about it still thinks that it's okay shows how not okay it really is.

Quote:
But we should definitely prevent our more sensitive information from the hands of hackers or e-criminals, or let them have control of our computer cameras/microphones.
Good luck with that when you're not the one in control of your sensitive information.

Quote:
But I do agree, at least for me, I am just some boring person, highly doubt anyone (or entity) high enough would be interested in hacking my devices. And if they really wanted to they probably can. Don't think any individual would stand a chance against big government entities like the NSA when they really want to hack your device.

Perks of being in the 21st century.
It's a fallacy to think about super spy nonsense when it comes to privacy, it frames the discussion wrong from the get go. Privacy is incredibly important from a personal perspective and from a collective. Even anonymised telemetry is damaging, it's not for our benefit and IMO should be resisted as much as is reasonable.
M344587487 is online now   Reply With Quote