Old 2011-01-14, 20:17   #1
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

10110011101002 Posts
Default Android

Anyone have an Android phone? Recently got a LG GT540 and wondered if anyone had any recommended apps. I am expecially interested in if someone has an app designed for viewing forums. Viewing them in the browser is of but there are all sorts of fiddly buttons to click on a touchscreen.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 01:26   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

I can't help you as far as apps go (don't have one myself), but one thing you may want to try is installing Linux on it. I've heard that it is possible; I once found some full instructions on how to do it but I can't find the link (Google may be helpful). Some of these latest Android phones have pretty powerful processors (in the vicinity of 1 GHz, which is faster than a few old P3's I have sitting around)--with Linux installed, you could probably crunch on them pretty easily. You should be able to compile Phrot on it (since it can run, albeit not blazingly quickly, on pretty much any architecture under *nix); then you could use it (possibly with PRPnet, which should also be able to compile) to do PRP tests.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 10:30   #3
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

574810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
I can't help you as far as apps go (don't have one myself), but one thing you may want to try is installing Linux on it. I've heard that it is possible; I once found some full instructions on how to do it but I can't find the link (Google may be helpful). Some of these latest Android phones have pretty powerful processors (in the vicinity of 1 GHz, which is faster than a few old P3's I have sitting around)--with Linux installed, you could probably crunch on them pretty easily. You should be able to compile Phrot on it (since it can run, albeit not blazingly quickly, on pretty much any architecture under *nix); then you could use it (possibly with PRPnet, which should also be able to compile) to do PRP tests.
I'd rather not try putting another os on my phone because I have already stopped one working by trying to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1. The second phone(warrenty replacement) came as 2.1. I will upgrade to 2.2 when it comes out for my phone but even that makes me very nervous.
Old 2011-01-15, 10:31   #4
smh

"Sander"
Oct 2002

118910 Posts

Even without cpu intensive tasks the batteries of smartphones drain quite fast. Doing some number crunching will probably drain your battery in a couple of hours.
smh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 10:48   #5
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22·3·479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh View Post
Even without cpu intensive tasks the batteries of smartphones drain quite fast. Doing some number crunching will probably drain your battery in a couple of hours.
I was about to add battery time into my post. I already run out some days if I am on it lots.
Old 2011-01-15, 13:49   #6
davar55

May 2004
New York City

10000011001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Anyone have an Android phone? Recently got a LG GT540 and wondered if anyone had any recommended apps. I am expecially interested in if someone has an app designed for viewing forums. Viewing them in the browser is of but there are all sorts of fiddly buttons to click on a touchscreen.
This OP is about hardware, isn't it?
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 19:47   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

22×3×479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
This OP is about hardware, isn't it?
Not really. I was wondering if anyone had found anything good on the android market. I keep on doing lots of hit and miss searching but it would be nice to hear about something that other people would recommend.
Old 2011-01-19, 18:21   #8
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

72510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Got an Android a few days ago. There are a lot of good Apps (I mostly use the free ones). Try Latitude from Google where you can get and give location for best friends. Barcoo is fun to compare prices in the retail shop (is it the best price, how is it rated, is there dioxin in these eggs?).

You might search for the 'best android apps' in google. It will show you some interesting Apps. Good luck.

Btw. you might add me in Google Latitude (johannes.black@gmail.com) ;) ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote