mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-05-26, 14:09   #1
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26·113 Posts
Default Peter Montgomery (IMPORTANT)

Hello, ALL

I just received a message from Arjen that Peter Montgomery
had been seriously hurt in an accident. Apparently this happened
some time ago since he was in the hospital for an extended period.

Does anyone know about this?

Bob
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 14:32   #2
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Hello, ALL

I just received a message from Arjen that Peter Montgomery
had been seriously hurt in an accident. Apparently this happened
some time ago since he was in the hospital for an extended period.

Does anyone know about this?

Bob
I received a message from Arjen that Peter suffered a fall in
his home and that it took several days for him to be found.

He was apparently unable to talk for months.

It is unclear from Arjen's description whether Peter had a stroke,
but it sure sounds that way.

Bob
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 15:40   #3
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
I received a message from Arjen that Peter suffered a fall in
his home and that it took several days for him to be found.

He was apparently unable to talk for months.

It is unclear from Arjen's description whether Peter had a stroke,
but it sure sounds that way.

Bob
Peter is now living in Thailand:

Peter Montgomery
c/o Richard Montgomery
MBE 2 #49
205/12 South Pattaya 2nd Rd
Nongprue, Banglamung
Chonburi, 20150 Thailand
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 15:52   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

7·1,447 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Hello, ALL

I just received a message from Arjen that Peter Montgomery
had been seriously hurt in an accident. Apparently this happened
some time ago since he was in the hospital for an extended period.

Does anyone know about this?

Bob
I heard a little about this a while ago from Joppe Bos. Joppe was working with Peter at MSR when the accident happened (though Joppe was out of town at the time).

I don't know much more about the situation.

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2014-05-26 at 15:52
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 18:40   #5
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

723210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I heard a little about this a while ago from Joppe Bos. Joppe was working with Peter at MSR when the accident happened (though Joppe was out of town at the time).

I don't know much more about the situation.

Paul
I doubt anyone else does either.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 22:05   #6
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2·59·83 Posts
Default

Very sorry to hear this - is Richard his brother?

Might be time to pull out the old letter paper - Bob, Paul, any word from your contacts as to the state of Peter's mental faculties?
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 22:34   #7
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

26·113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Very sorry to hear this - is Richard his brother?

Might be time to pull out the old letter paper - Bob, Paul, any word from your contacts as to the state of Peter's mental faculties?
Yes, Richard is his brother.

Believe me, I hold Peter in the HIGHEST regard. If I had any
additional information, I would post it. Perhaps Joppe Bos
knows more. He was the one who found Peter after he fell.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 23:25   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

2×59×83 Posts
Default

@Bob:

As do I. I know you and he cowrote several papers - in my case he was a great help and mentor back when I was first coding up an FFT-mul/IBDWT in the late 90s; we also exchanged numerous e-mails on the topic of the hybrid float/GF(M(p)^2) transform I have discussed elsewhere here on this forum. I hoped to eventually have opportunity to write some optimized code for that and maybe jointly write something up on it - alas, CPU trends in the interim have tipped the balance ever more in the float-math's favor.

We also shared a room at the Asilomar conference one year circa 1999 (+-1 if the WNTC take place in Asilomar in even years rather than odd).

He was always extremely generous with his time and insights.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 18:43   #9
jasonp
Tribal Bullet
 
jasonp's Avatar
 
Oct 2004

DA116 Posts
Default

I was forwarded some email that Joppe sent to the CARAMEL team at this time last year. At that point Peter was recovering very slowly and could talk again but still had occasional illucid moments. It's unclear from his account whether Peter had a stroke.
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peter Montgomery's Thesis mickfrancis Computer Science & Computational Number Theory 3 2015-06-25 14:32
Range for k>300 that Peter Benson has searched gd_barnes No Prime Left Behind 42 2009-01-20 17:01
Montgomery powering T.Rex Math 10 2006-04-18 06:57
VIA C7 Montgomery Multiplier? akruppa Hardware 1 2005-08-04 10:25
Montgomery Multiplication dave_dm Math 2 2004-12-24 11:00

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:02.

Thu Oct 29 00:02:03 UTC 2020 up 48 days, 21:13, 1 user, load averages: 1.63, 2.07, 1.90

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.