mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2007-08-14, 16:49   #1
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Lightbulb Indian mathematicians discovered America first.

The Univ. Of Manchester put a forth a research paper by Two Indians on the faculty stating that The Kerarla school in 1350 knew of infinite series, a bastion of Calculus long before Newton.

With the advent of knowledgeable European Jesuit missionaries who visited South India in around 1550 and who had learnt the difficult language Malayalam picked up this knowledge and transmitted it to the West. This is a tall claim but they have researched the original papers and have arrived at this conclusion.

During my childhood I met and was taught by these 'fathers' and found they were very well versed in all sciences. After all it took them 13 years of study before they were ordained. To be called a jesuit in those days was equivalent to having a B.A/B.Sc. in the sciences with all the three vows, Obedience, poverty and chastity, a far cry from what they are today.

I personally knew Fr. Jung Blut who studied the Bhil dialect and wrote the grammar to it and published his book on it.

BTW: Kerala is not the same State, Tamil Nadu, where Ramanujan hailed from but neighbours I would say Between the same latitudes.

I have visited Trivandrum (now with a lengthy name) the capital of the state many times and besides a beautiful beach there are some temples built in the early days which are architectural marvels. Keralalites have always had a flair for knowledge and Kerala has the highest literacy rates in India.

Well the next time I chance to visit Kerala (highly unlikely!) I will include a note book and ball pen along with my beach gear and take down some mathematical short cuts from the guys who know.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/....htm?id=121685

Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 19:11   #2
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×5,813 Posts

Not surprising, coming from the folks who also discovered quantum field theory over 500 years before western physicists did.

But America was still discovered by the Chinese.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 19:33   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

1064810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Nope. The Egyptians discovered America. Have you not read American Gods?

Paul

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2007-08-14 at 19:33 Reason: fix tag
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 22:19   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

949310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
There is physical evidence that links the Chinese to the West Coast of the USA prior to the Spanish domination. There have been found Chinese anchors that appear to be pre-Columbian by a few years.

The Norse discovery is well accepted now and predates the Chinese.

There is also a claim that an Irish monk predated them.

And Thor Heyerdal showed that it could have been done before.

Etc.

However, it appear that Cristobal Colon's "discovery" is the one of two that stuck.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 13:05   #5
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

7·137 Posts

Ridiculous.

Just Ridiculous.

America was discovered by Siberians. All you have to do to prove it is compare native Americans blood types with native Siberians.

Seriously, there is ample evidence of a trading network that extended across the pacific ocean from Australia to the South American west coast to the North American west coast, back to Asia, then perhaps even to Africa. One very simple proof of this is the common Sweetpotato. The origin is unquestionably from the approximate area of Peru in South America. Yet the plant was grown in Australia for the last several hundred perhaps thousands of years. The native word for Sweetpotato in Australia is the same as the native Mocha word in Peru.

Also to be considered is the tribe of Dolichocephalic people who lived on the California coastline. The traits for Dolichocephaly could only have come from Asia.

Also of interest is some carved images in Central America that highly resemble Africans. They are dissimilar to other carvings from the same time period.

Anybody else finished pontificating?

Last fiddled with by Fusion_power on 2007-08-15 at 13:08
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 16:53   #6
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

1162610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
America was discovered by Siberians. All you have to do to prove it is compare native Americans blood types with native Siberians.
...and Siberians are basically North Chinese - see, I was right all along, even whilst being facetious.*

Quote:
Anybody else finished pontificating?
I now cede the papal staff and miter saw to the next pontoonicator among the primates around here, or something.

====

* [Look, mum, I actually said "whilst" - afraid I'm suffering from a touch of the anglophilia today, I am.]

Gerbil1: Changed "ma" to "mum".
Gerbil2: Yeah!

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2007-08-15 at 16:54
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote