mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-09-03, 18:07   #1585
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

11101001001002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Thanks for that information, gd_barnes, I certainly agree that converts and closet cases can be quite odious.
The judge just threw her in jail for contempt, apparently until she either resigns, complies with the law,
or gets impeached.

Meanwhile, the retarded religious right is screaming that her (and their) religious rights have been taken
away....

What do you think would happen if it were a deeply religious clerk refusing to issue gun licences?
You can bet that the RRR would not take the same view......
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 20:50   #1586
chappy
 
chappy's Avatar
 
"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13·89 Posts
Default

A friend of mine created this for Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Profile pic.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	13031  
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 21:37   #1587
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

11101001001002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
The judge just threw her in jail for contempt, apparently until she either resigns, complies with the law,
or gets impeached.

Meanwhile, the retarded religious right is screaming that her (and their) religious rights have been taken
away....

What do you think would happen if it were a deeply religious clerk refusing to issue gun licences?
You can bet that the RRR would not take the same view......
Would anyone like to weigh in? I am particularly interest in opinions regarding
what "religious rights" have been taken away. What do these people think these
rights are? Do they truly believe that 'religious rights' means the unconditional
right to do anything in accord with religious beliefs? If not, what "rights" are
being denied? Do they believe that these "rights" include the right to violate the
rights of others?
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 00:26   #1588
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

32·19·47 Posts
Default

We're trying to figure out why a county clerk gets paid $80,000 a year.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 01:50   #1589
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We're trying to figure out why a county clerk gets paid $80,000 a year.

Or why she was allowed to practice nepotism. (She hired her son, who also refuses to
give licenses)
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 03:56   #1590
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Would anyone like to weigh in? I am particularly interest in opinions regarding
what "religious rights" have been taken away. What do these people think these
rights are? Do they truly believe that 'religious rights' means the unconditional
right to do anything in accord with religious beliefs? If not, what "rights" are
being denied? Do they believe that these "rights" include the right to violate the
rights of others?
My Dad used to like saying, "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose." I think that answers all those who feel that their 'rights' allow them to trample the Rights of others.

Finally, I think it is worth revisiting Eric Schwartz's take on religion-driven intrusions on the rights of others. May not be work safe depending on your place of work. Family Friendliness depends on your family.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-05, 14:06   #1591
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
My Dad used to like saying, "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose." I think that answers all those who feel that their 'rights' allow them to trample the Rights of others.

Finally, I think it is worth revisiting Eric Schwartz's take on religion-driven intrusions on the rights of others. May not be work safe depending on your place of work. Family Friendliness depends on your family.
Meanwhile, the Republican presidential candidates have jumped on the support bandwagon.

Mike (huckster) Huckabee is visiting her in jail. He claims that she has been jailed for her
religious beliefs! (A clear lie) Others say the same thing.

The candidates are claiming that she is a political prisoner.

People in Kentucky want to change the laws so that people in a similar position to hers
are ALLOWED to violate secular law because of their religious beliefs. Good luck with that....

It does however, make good sound bites to the morons who share those views.....
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-05, 14:50   #1592
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

32·19·47 Posts
Default

No matter what happens, we are sure a book and film deal are in the works. This lady has it a bit rough now but in the end she will be set for life.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-07, 13:51   #1593
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

32×19×47 Posts
Default

http://imgur.com/gallery/vvN1gDd
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-07, 14:01   #1594
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

29·211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
People in Kentucky want to change the laws so that people in a similar position to hers are ALLOWED to violate secular law because of their religious beliefs.
So who's religion is the "correct" and/or "proper" religion anyway?

How about once some religious followers are able to prove that their religion is "the one", then, and only then, we allow their beliefs and practices to override any and all local/country/international laws as needed.

I am not specifically asking R.D. Silverman here. I only quoted it as an introduction into the topic.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-07, 14:36   #1595
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

11101001001002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
So who's religion is the "correct" and/or "proper" religion anyway?

How about once some religious followers are able to prove that their religion is "the one", then, and only then, we allow their beliefs and practices to override any and all local/country/international laws as needed.

I am not specifically asking R.D. Silverman here. I only quoted it as an introduction into the topic.
Even for a given religion how does one handle cafeteria style? (i.e. pick and choose which rules to obey
and which to ignore)
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Patient Rights R.D. Silverman Soap Box 25 2013-04-02 08:41
Marriage and Civil Partnerships: what is the ideal situation? Brian-E Soap Box 53 2013-02-19 16:31
Gay Marriage: weekly alternating viewpoints Brian-E Soap Box 46 2008-11-09 22:21

All times are UTC. The time now is 07:54.

Fri Apr 16 07:54:25 UTC 2021 up 8 days, 2:35, 0 users, load averages: 1.67, 1.53, 1.51

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.