mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > NFSNET Discussion

Old 2004-06-25, 18:04   #1
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1D2416 Posts
Default Machines

Hi,

225 machines doing sieving for NFSNET is actually a very small number
when compared with the (approximately) 200,000 associated with GIMPS.

Let's start a campaign to get more help. Unlike the linear algebra phase,
sieving can use all the help it can get....

Bob
Old 2004-06-26, 09:41   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

22×2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Silverman
Hi,

225 machines doing sieving for NFSNET is actually a very small number
when compared with the (approximately) 200,000 associated with GIMPS.

Let's start a campaign to get more help. Unlike the linear algebra phase,
sieving can use all the help it can get....

Bob
As you note, sieiving is one of the easier portions of the entire NFS process. It may require the most cpu cycles but it's relatively easy to perform. Indeed, once the basic number-theoretical code is written and working relatively reliably, the mathematical process as a whole is relatively easy to perform.

Some other phases are much more difficult. The linear algebra is sometimes a bottleneck, but the real reason at present why NFSNET can not expand its operations greatly is lack of human resources: for code development, project administration, web site maintenance, documentation writing and doubtless more that I've not mentioned.

At the moment Richard Wackerbarth is shouldering a large fraction of the load. Too large a fraction. I've been trying to help where I can but a combination of legal constraints, developments at work and personal reasons outside work means that I've not been able to do as much as I would like or as much as I should.

Do you want to help NFSNET in one or more of these areas?

Does any other reader of this forum want to assist?

I would very much like to see thousands of machine sieving, but without back-office support it's not going to be possible.

Paul
Old 2004-06-27, 18:35   #3
junky

Jan 2004

7×19 Posts

hi guys,
i know it was supposed to be done a couple of months ago, but we were in rush at my job (and it was a new one, so i had to reach my goals).
But the French version of the Manuel is almost done. If any french speaker would like to read that version (and report me any mistakes), it would be really appreciated.

Plus, i've started a small table for all projects that NFSnet has completed/sieving. I think PHP combined with MySQL would be a really nice language for the new version of the website.

And Bob, ya can connect to my box to see what's going on with the test ya've made with the offline version. If ya wanna make some others tests, feel free to email me.

Thanks to all for any contribution.
Old 2004-06-28, 08:22   #4
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

111000102 Posts

Hello,

I did (and do) the german translation and have started to work on the database part of a new stats system. I also help out sometimes to test new features/methods mostly for Richard and try to do some inofficial public relations for NFSNET here in germany ;) That is my positive input.

In addition to my full-time job and personal responsibilities i often only manage to spend some hours per week on NFSNET. I and some others certainly expected more but so far i failed to provide more help. And that (failing) is my negative input.

If someone could proofread junkys french translations, i will include them in the tree.

Lars
Old 2004-06-28, 13:54   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

17·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauCeti
Hello,

If someone could proofread junkys french translations, i will include them in the tree.

Lars
Does anybody need an Italian translation?

If so just PM me the pages to translate.

Luigi
Old 2004-06-28, 15:00   #6
junky

Jan 2004

7·19 Posts

sure, the more languages we have, the more volonteers will join.

Are ya interested to do some of the current site into italian ? (like FAQ, and stuff like that)?

Thanks.
Old 2004-06-28, 15:08   #7
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

2·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
Does anybody need an Italian translation?
If so just PM me the pages to translate.
Luigi
Thanks a lot for the offer Luigi. Basically we need to translate the content on the web-pages (home, join, faq...) and the User Manual.

If you like, you can start with the UserManual (all files are in the subdirectory "English" in your client installation). I could of course also send you the web-pages but i suggest you start with the Manual because i am *err* supposed *uhmm* to disentangle content from layout on the webpages first.

If you have questions or comments, you can reach me at lars.fricke@web.de. If you include 'NFSNET' in the subject, your mail should not fall victim to the imperfect spam-filtes my ISP has deployed.

Regards,

Lars
Old 2004-06-29, 10:38   #8
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

113138 Posts

Quote:
If you like, you can start with the UserManual (all files are in the subdirectory "English" in your client installation).

Lars
I can

I will send you the translation (in HTML style) as I finish it.

Luigi
Old 2004-06-29, 12:48   #9
TauCeti

Mar 2003
Braunschweig, Germany

2×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
I can
I will send you the translation (in HTML style) as I finish it.
Luigi
Please use the same filenames as in the english original but append an "_it" for lovely italy :)

Many thanks,

Lars
Old 2004-07-01, 14:56   #10
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

10010110010112 Posts

Quote:
Please use the same filenames as in the english original but append an "_it" for lovely italy :)

Many thanks,

Lars
Here they are

Luigi
Attached Files
File Type: zip nfsnet_it.zip (31.0 KB, 164 views)
Old 2004-07-01, 17:35   #11
junky

Jan 2004

7×19 Posts

wooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ET_ ya're so FAST, ya did it in like 1-2 day.
i'll have to start the translation of the FAQ.
Im like tauceti, i dont have so much time to spent, i do the much i can.