mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2004-11-04, 05:03   #1
georgekh

Oct 2004

2·33 Posts
Exclamation Prime95 on a Cluster???

hey guys. i've been recently interested on how this can actually get programmed to run one number over a cluster. any ideas are welcome i just want to know if anyone else has thought of this.

my idea is to "cut" up a number into different sections and then send those sections over the cluster, then when results are done, then a compiler on the main node will compile the results into a single file and then send it in for reporting.

any comments or ideas are welcome.
georgekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 07:35   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

3×5×17×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekh
hey guys. i've been recently interested on how this can actually get programmed to run one number over a cluster. any ideas are welcome i just want to know if anyone else has thought of this.

my idea is to "cut" up a number into different sections and then send those sections over the cluster, then when results are done, then a compiler on the main node will compile the results into a single file and then send it in for reporting.

any comments or ideas are welcome.
The LLtest is a strictly sequential algorithm, and it's not actually possible to divide it into different tasks.

You can still use a cluster running a copy of the program on each CPU.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 08:48   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2C7B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_
The LLtest is a strictly sequential algorithm, and it's not actually possible to divide it into different tasks.

You can still use a cluster running a copy of the program on each CPU.

Luigi
Well, strictly speaking (and one should always speak strictly, especially to young children ) it's possible to divide it up. It's just not sensible to do so, as splitting the task into several parts will yield lower overall progress than running several tasks simultaneously.

ET_ is quite correct that each iteration must be runs in sequence. However, it is possible to parallelize the computation comprising each iteration.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 10:48   #4
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

3×5×17×19 Posts

You are right! I should have used the word "convenient" instead of "possible".

Sorry for the (only) partial explaination

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 22:15   #5
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

14518 Posts

i have an idea. frist you need a solid network then you need the clinet and server.
server gets number of prime net and procedes to cut numbers up into packets of 10 pooblems were it will then send to each clint then it will do a bit torrent it will get hte blocks of 10 back from comp and send a new one if needed send 100 to not bog down networks so much.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 23:29   #6
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

12768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
i have an idea. frist you need a solid network then you need the clinet and server.
server gets number of prime net and procedes to cut numbers up into packets of 10 pooblems were it will then send to each clint then it will do a bit torrent it will get hte blocks of 10 back from comp and send a new one if needed send 100 to not bog down networks so much.
The LL test is sequential. You need the result from the last iteration to run the next one. That's why distributed clusters for Prime95 are impractical.
PrimeCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 23:36   #7
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

it would be very good for factoring htough
Old 2004-11-05, 00:03   #8
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
it would be very good for factoring htough
I believe that's also sequential. But even if it isn't, it still wouldn't have a very high yield. In fact, it could slow things down, since one node might find a factor while other nodes continue working on the exponent pointlessly.
Old 2004-11-05, 00:16   #9
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

i siad do bittorrent
remember were the packs belong in sequencial order then what they do is get ordered by the server when there returned. so ur really sendign out packs of 100 illiterations to be done i am not shure though if its sequentional.
but u could make a mighty find dubble checker.
Old 2004-11-05, 00:35   #10
PrimeCruncher

Sep 2003
Borg HQ, Delta Quadrant

2·33·13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
i siad do bittorrent
remember were the packs belong in sequencial order then what they do is get ordered by the server when there returned. so ur really sendign out packs of 100 illiterations to be done i am not shure though if its sequentional.
but u could make a mighty find dubble checker.
BitTorrent to send small parts of exponent tests would still be impractical. You'll spend extra time pointlessly shuttling data around, which Prime95 does its best to minimize.
Old 2004-11-05, 03:14   #11
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

bit torrent like system