Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies

Old 2021-10-03, 11:21   #1
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
🌺🙏🌺

23×3×17 Posts
Default Exotic flowers

I have an unusual hobby. I grow exotic flowers at home.

And in particular, I collect especially beautiful and rare Gloxinia (Sinningia speciosa) varieties.
Here is part of my collection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9glox.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	836.3 KB
ID:	25809

Which flower do you like best?

Here are some scans from old books about these delightful life forms.

Name:	51729_1200.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	25810 Click image for larger version

Name:	114034_1200.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	25811 Click image for larger version

Name:	147464_1200.jpg
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	25812

But among my plants there are several others no less amazing. If you want, I can tell you about them too.
greenskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-03, 14:11   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×11×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
I have an unusual hobby. I grow exotic flowers at home

Which flower do you like best?
The ones I like least are those of sundry species of bamboo. I lost my Fargesia nitida when it flowered.

My Stapelia grandiflora is the most recent acquistion but I don't have an image to hand (it's on SWMBO's phone) so you have to make do with the Wikipedia image.

Out in the garden I have a couple of different species of Dracaena in flower and other succulents, including these Aloe arborescens and Agave attenuata shown here flowering in January 2020.

Incidentally, if the A. attenuata photo was taken today the flower stalks would still be there, though brown, and there would be a volcano erupting in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A_arborescens.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	25819   Click image for larger version

Name:	A_attenuata.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	25820  

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-10-03 at 14:13
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-03, 14:28   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

22×3×11×83 Posts

Quote:
Which flower do you like best?.
Despite not liking bamboo flowers, I grow a number of grasses, rushes, reeds, and similar plants for their flowers here in the UK.

Stipa gigantea is spectacular, as are Miscanthus sinensis varieties. The Cortardera selloana outgrew its spot and had to go. Typha latifolia lives in a small swamp, well lined to prevent it escaping because it is a rampant spreader. Pennisetum alopecuroides is pretty but not too hardy and doesn't set seed here, but it is a serious invasive pest in La Palma. Too many other species to list them all now ...
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-03, 15:39   #4
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
🌺🙏🌺

40810 Posts

I also grow salmon-colored brugmansia at home. The other name of the plant is Angel’s Trumpet.
It is an incredibly beautiful plant with huge flowers that exude a hypnotically pleasant aroma.
If heaven exists, then I am sure that this is how the angels in heaven smell :)

But brugmansia is quite poisonous. It contains high concentration of scopolamine. And it is advisable to work with it with gloves.

Name:	IMG_0610_800.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	25821 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611_800.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	25822

Name:	IMG_0515_800.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	25823 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520_800.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	25824

Native Americans used it in their sacred ceremonies to predict the future.
In the modern world, scopolamine has been used in truth serum to induce people to reveal secrets. But I don't know all the details.

This is a drawing of the same variety as mine, made by a Japanese woman artist Mayumi Ezure:

Name:	Ezure_800.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	25825
Old 2021-10-03, 15:58   #5
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
🌺🙏🌺

23·3·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Despite not liking bamboo flowers, I grow a number of grasses, rushes, reeds, and similar plants for their flowers here in the UK...
Please choose the Gloxinia you like the most.
And I'll tell you which one is my favorite :)
Old 2021-10-03, 16:31   #6
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×32×139 Posts

Quote:
I also grow salmon-colored brugmansia at home. The other name of the plant is Angel’s Trumpet.
It is an incredibly beautiful plant with huge flowers that exude a hypnotically pleasant aroma.
If heaven exists, then I am sure that this is how the angels in heaven smell :)

But brugmansia is quite poisonous. It contains high concentration of scopolamine. And it is advisable to work with it with gloves.
<snip>
Native Americans used it in their sacred ceremonies to predict the future.
In the modern world, scopolamine has been used in truth serum to induce people to reveal secrets. But I don't know all the details.
<snip>
Many years ago, I was house sitting for someone with a DIY greenhouse made by modifying a garage which had been made a garage by modifying a stable. The greenhouse had, shall we say, good ventilation. One of the plants in it was a brugmansia, AKA a "Datura tree."

Unfortunately, while I was house sitting, there was a severe cold snap. The temperature hit 15 below zero Fahrenheit (around -26 C) and, despite my best efforts to protect the plants, the brugmansia died. (All the other plants survived, though.) I offered to replace it but my offer was refused.

[Apparently plants in the genus Brugmansia used to be classified in the genus Datura, but were reclassified. The principal difference seems to be that Datura blossoms are erect, but Brugmansia blossoms are "pendulous" (hang down).]

Plants in both genera are often called "angel's trumpet," though jimsonweed (Datura stramonium) is also called "devil's trumpet."

I grow flowers, but mainly stick to native species or standard ornamentals. This year I did grow some "moonflower vines" (Ipomoea alba). They have large white trumpt-shaped flowers that open in the evening, are strongly fragrant, and only last a single night. They easily filled the lattice I had provided for them to climb on, and weren't about to stop there. So I added long pieces of twine to give them something else to climb on. They overran those, too. The ends of the vines are hanging down. But they've pretty much stopped growing and, being tropical, the plants will die when it gets cold. But there are plenty of ripening seed pods.

I was a bit confused at first because I knew of another "moonflower" which is a somewhat bushy annual or tender perennial (Datura innoxia) which is commonly grown as an ornamental in some regions, and has toxicity similar to most plants in Brugmansia or Datura. There is yet another species, "sacred datura" (Datura wrightii) which is also called "moonflower" and has been used in the ceremonies of aboriginal Americans.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-10-03 at 16:32 Reason: xignif topsy
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-03, 17:28   #7
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
🌺🙏🌺

23×3×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Many years ago...
Is it your real story?

Quote:
But there are plenty of ripening seed pods.
Don't think about eating them!
You can catch a bad trip :)

Last fiddled with by greenskull on 2021-10-03 at 17:38
Old 2021-10-03, 17:58   #8
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
🌺🙏🌺

23×3×17 Posts

Unlike brugmansia and ipomoea, gloxinia is not at all poisonous.

The main parts of these plants are potato-like tubers that are hidden underground.

Name:	IMG_0159_800.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	25826 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174_800.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	25827

From October to February, tubers sleep in a chill (14..16 ℃).
And at the end of January or February, the tubers release new bushes and bloom from April to August.
I really love these ugly tubers that are capable of producing such incredible beauty.
Old 2021-10-03, 18:22   #9
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
🌺🙏🌺

6308 Posts

Of course you all know who Xōchipilli is.
This is the deity worshiped by the ancient Aztecs.
His name translates as the prince of flowers.

In the mid-19th century, a 16th-century Aztec statue of Xochipilli was unearthed on the side of the volcano Popocatépetl near Tlalmanalco. The statue is of a single figure seated upon a temple-like base.

Name:	xochipilli0.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	25828

Both the statue and the base upon which it sits are covered in carvings of sacred and psychoactive organisms including
- mushrooms (Psilocybe aztecorum)
- tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum)
- Ololiúqui (Turbina corymbosa), it is a close relative of Ipomoea alba
- sinicuichi (Heimia salicifolia)
- possibly cacahuaxochitl (Quararibea funebris), it is kind of cacao
- and one unidentified flower, presumably brugmansia

Name:	xochipilli1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	25829 Click image for larger version

Name:	xochipilli2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	25830 Click image for larger version

Name:	xochipilli3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	25831 Click image for larger version

Name:	xochipilli4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	25832
Old 2021-10-04, 02:05   #10
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10011100011002 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Many years ago...
Is it your real story?
True story.
Quote:
But there are plenty of ripening seed pods.
Quote:
Don't think about eating them!
You can catch a bad trip :)
I've heard since decades ago that morning glory seeds (and Ipomea alba is in the morning glory family) can be hallucinogenic and are slightly toxic. I hadn't planned to eat them, though. These will be for planting!

Plants in the genera Datura and Brugmansia, though are quite toxic. Anyone eating their seeds might catch a bad trip indeed - to the hospital or to the morgue.

It seems the rest of the plant Ipomea alba is not seriously toxic. Someone else who was growing them had trouble with rabbits and deer eating them. And while rabbits and deer are not known for their darting intelligence, they're smart enough to figure out in pretty short order that a toxic plant isn't good to eat, and to leave it alone - with one exception which I have observed: Rabbits will snip off leaves and stems from plants they can't or don't want to eat - nice clean 45 degree cuts - and then just leave the severed parts lying on the ground.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-04, 09:38   #11
greenskull
Xebeche

Apr 2019
🌺🙏🌺

23×3×17 Posts

Plants are silent life forms. They don't wag their tails, bark or meow. And if you do something wrong and they don't like it, then they also silently die.

Working with them is interesting primarily because it teaches you to subtly feel an almost imperceptible reaction. And on the basis of this, to adjust the conditions.
As a reward for making the right decisions, you receive bouquets of flowers and sometimes seeds.

For example, some time ago I studied the process of winter drying of the soil clod of my cacti. It was very exciting. Now I understand some of the features better and this allows me to get good results.