mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Lone Mersenne Hunters

Old 2003-05-29, 16:38   #1
ThomRuley

May 2003

23×31 Posts
Default How do you guys do this?

Hello, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how LMHers look for new primes. Is there some kind of code you use in Prime95? Do you generate a list of prime numbers in the range you wish to test and enter those manually? After the factoring is done, do you also do LL tests on those numbers or do you send them to someone else to test? I know I have a lot of questions, but any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas
ThomRuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-29, 18:17   #2
smh

"Sander"
Oct 2002

29·41 Posts
Default Re: How do you guys do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomRuley
Hello, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how LMHers look for new primes.
They don't. LMHers are trying to factor numbers so a LL test won't have to be run.

Quote:
Is there some kind of code you use in Prime95? Do you generate a list of prime numbers in the range you wish to test and enter those manually?
Just the normal factoring code in prime95. But connection with the primenet server is turned off, and a FactorOverride=n line in prime.ini

You'll have to create a worktodo.ini yourself. You can do this using decomp.zip and nofactor.zip

Make a reservation on this forum to avoid duplicating work

Quote:
After the factoring is done, do you also do LL tests on those numbers or do you send them to someone else to test?
Normally factoring is done only 1 or 2 bits deeper then it's currentely done, but more factoring is needed before a LL should be done. After finishing a range, or every few weeks you can send the results to George Woltman, and let other LMHers know that you finished your range.

For a nice overview on the progress made by LMHers, see http://home.planet.nl/~tha/mersenne/index.html
smh is offline   Reply With Quote