Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2013-09-28, 21:44   #1
MeneerWitte

Sep 2013

116 Posts
Default Prime95 translation help

Kindly I ask your attention.

Well,

I wanted to use Prime95 and found out that it is only in English.

I asked for permission to translate it and I got it.

Emaill:

Hello Meneer,

Thank you for the translation offer. Unfortunately, not all of the text that needs to be translated is in a single file.

Should you personally need any help, I'm sure someone at mersenneforum.org can answer questions posed in the language of your choice.

Regards,
George Woltman

So, what is being needed?

Well,

A programmer or someone how can extract/copy the English files and put the translated files into the Prime95 package.

Translators.

I will do Dutch, English has being done and ...?

Well,

Who likes to help?

Many thanks in advance.

Hopefully I let you known enough and that you will find the answers you seek.

Good luck and have fun doing it.

Best Regards,

Meneer Witte

You can contact me at:
<<email available by PM>>

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2013-09-28 at 21:47 Reason: (email removed. You don't want the spam: this forum is indexed by google, anyone will be able to obtain your email)
MeneerWitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:17   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

2·3·5·7·23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeneerWitte View Post

Kindly I ask your attention.

Well,

I wanted to use Prime95 and found out that it is only in English.

I asked for permission to translate it and I got it.

Emaill:

Hello Meneer,

Thank you for the translation offer. Unfortunately, not all of the text that needs to be translated is in a single file.

Should you personally need any help, I'm sure someone at mersenneforum.org can answer questions posed in the language of your choice.

Regards,
George Woltman

So, what is being needed?

Well,

A programmer or someone how can extract/copy the English files and put the translated files into the Prime95 package.

Translators.

I will do Dutch, English has being done and ...?

Well,

Who likes to help?

Many thanks in advance.

Hopefully I let you known enough and that you will find the answers you seek.

Good luck and have fun doing it.

Best Regards,

Meneer Witte

You can contact me at:
<<email available by PM>>
Hi Meneer,

I already did some translations into Italian (especially the configuration steps) and put them on my website. If you are planning a localization of the package, keep in mind that the source code has not, AFAIK, been thought for it, and there is no easy way to extract localization strings without tampering the code, though I hope I will proved wrong...

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 10:48   #3
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×3×5×109 Posts
Default I'm a born cynic

Hello Sir,

To add to what ET_ writes, it's also worth noting that even if you can get hold of the text fragments and put them into the software effectively it is still a very difficult task to make translations which fit the context perfectly. If you are experienced with text translation, you will know that to do it properly you often need to completely paraphrase the sentences, otherwise they sound stilted and strange if not completely incomprehensible. To do it with the short texts involved in software packages is a very tricky problem.

There was a similar effort started last year to produce translations for the GPU to 72 server run by Chris Halsall. As one of several people involved in translating those texts into Dutch, I can say that the results are sadly not very gratifying.

From the email you reproduce, by the way, I'm not sure that George Woltman is really encouraging your initiative. He can correct me if I'm wrong there.

Don't get me wrong: I do think it's a noble idea of yours, and many people certainly appreciate software packages in their own language. But it's a very difficult task, and if not done well it's wasted effort.

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2013-09-29 at 10:59
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote