mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-13, 17:31   #1
MrHappy
 
MrHappy's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Paisley Park & Neverland

5·37 Posts
Default May I change the worktype for a reservation?

Sometimes I'd like to do some work on exponents that is not the worktype I reserved them for. May I change the worktype in worktodo or does that temper in bad ways with primenet?

For example I'd like to reserve some doublechecks around 27M - 28M, change worktodo from DoubleCheck=HEXNUMBER,27XXXXXX,67,1 to Factor=HEXNUMBER,27XXXXXX,67,71, report progress after the work is done and release it back to the DC pool without doing the doublecheck. Or do P-1 in DC ranges, or something else...
Short question: may I change the worktype to whatever I like?

Someone please move the thread...it's not about GPU computing...sorry!

Last fiddled with by MrHappy on 2011-09-13 at 17:41 Reason: posted in the wrong subforum
MrHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 17:41   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2·3·19·67 Posts
Default

I don't think that will cause many problems.

You may have to manually unreserve the exponent when you are done with it. For example, if you reserve a doublecheck and change it to a TF, the server will not release the assignment when you report your TF result.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 18:23   #3
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

35·41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
You may have to manually unreserve the exponent when you are done with it. For example, if you reserve a doublecheck and change it to a TF, the server will not release the assignment when you report your TF result.
If I may ask... If he doesn't unreserve the exponent, how long will it take for the server to automatically unresearve it?

Or is this a manual process?
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 19:50   #4
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

100100100012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I don't think that will cause many problems.

You may have to manually unreserve the exponent when you are done with it. For example, if you reserve a doublecheck and change it to a TF, the server will not release the assignment when you report your TF result.
I do this all the time. Specifically I reserve Test assignments and change them to Pfactor assignments. The server does release them when I report results, though whether this is true for all such manipulated assignments, or just Pfactors, I don't know.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 04:08   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

231058 Posts
Default

That would be quite reasonable to kill a LL or DC assignment if a factor is found, even if that is found by someone else. It would be futile to LL or DC exponents with factors already known. The server can do that next time you communicate with it. However, how the server behave for different other types, like P-1, ECM, etc (where the user could also want to keep the assignments, to extend the factor list of a number, if he likes), I have no idea.

@Mr. P-1
Does the server release them even when you report "no factor found"?
(in the other case it should be clear that the answer is yes)
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 16:04   #6
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
@Mr. P-1
Does the server release them even when you report "no factor found"?
Yes.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 17:21   #7
KingKurly
 
KingKurly's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

33·7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
Yes.
I picked up a few LL-D assignments from PrimeNet with the intention of trial factoring them a few extra bits, now that mfakto is officially released. When reporting "No factor found" I kept the assignments; they were not unassigned.

Is that contrary to your experience, or am I talking about something different (again)?
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 02:49   #8
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKurly View Post
I picked up a few LL-D assignments from PrimeNet with the intention of trial factoring them a few extra bits, now that mfakto is officially released. When reporting "No factor found" I kept the assignments; they were not unassigned.

Is that contrary to your experience, or am I talking about something different (again)?
That's contrary to my experience. I am however using mprime to do P-1 tests, so we are not doing exactly the same thing.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 04:02   #9
Christenson
 
Christenson's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Monticello

34038 Posts
Default

The server is now programmed to recognize the difference between mfakto results and P-1 results. There's also the manual reporting route being used by KingKurly, versus the probable automatic route being used by Mr P-1.....
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 12:25   #10
Mr. P-1
 
Mr. P-1's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
The server is now programmed to recognize the difference between mfakto results and P-1 results. There's also the manual reporting route being used by KingKurly, versus the probable automatic route being used by Mr P-1.....
Correct, I do usually use the automatic reporting route. I have on occasion reported manually, but do not recall if I then had to unreserve manually too.
Mr. P-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 15:51   #11
KingKurly
 
KingKurly's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Annapolis, MD, USA

BD16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-1 View Post
Correct, I do usually use the automatic reporting route. I have on occasion reported manually, but do not recall if I then had to unreserve manually too.
Ah, then we were talking about different things. Sorry about the confusion.
KingKurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing worktype Caffreys Information & Answers 2 2010-09-02 05:21
How can I change worktype? Andriy Information & Answers 1 2009-06-20 12:39
LLR reservation hhh Prime Cullen Prime 6 2007-09-17 04:27
P-1 reservation hhh Prime Cullen Prime 1 2007-05-16 20:12
15k reservation gribozavr 15k Search 3 2005-03-11 14:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:25.


Tue Oct 26 18:25:56 UTC 2021 up 95 days, 12:54, 0 users, load averages: 2.31, 2.51, 2.35

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.