mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-28, 20:20   #12
flouran
 
flouran's Avatar
 
Dec 2008

72·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
It was "expressing what his work has meant to you".
Which most likely involves praising him. I doubt many/any people will write to Knuth, "F*** you, Donald. You've done jackshit for our community". Or something derogatory (perhaps not as extreme as that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
But AFAIK Knuth doesn't suffer from the sort of emotional impairment that seems to afflict some of our participants.
I wouldn't consider it emotional impairment. He's done a lot of work, and I bet he knows that he has contributed immensely.
Besides, cheesehead, there is no need to attempt to insult me. Apparently, you didn't read the "I don't mean this out of disrespect" statement in my post.

But hey, I myself would love to Donald Knuth too, but only if I found a mistake in some of his works or I wanted some advice on something. And sure, maybe in my message I would include what his work meant to me.

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-07-28 at 20:25
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 21:03   #13
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
Besides, cheesehead, there is no need to attempt to insult me.
Of course not. That's why I didn't attempt to insult you.

I haven't seen any evidence that you're one of the emotionally-impaired participants in this forum, if that's what you think I was implying. My intended point (obviously badly-expressed!!) was that (in my opinion) Knuth would be pleased to receive notes such as I suggested.

I'm certainly regretting starting this thread, which I meant only as a nice suggestion.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-07-28 at 21:06
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 23:28   #14
flouran
 
flouran's Avatar
 
Dec 2008

72×17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
I'm certainly regretting starting this thread, which I meant only as a nice suggestion.
The idea of writing to Donald Knuth is not bad at all. It's just that as a community, we should write something more useful than just telling him what his work means to us.
If you don't mind me saying, I think the objective of this thread should be shifted to: what should we write to Knuth about something he would find interesting (other than simply praising him. We can praise him in our letter(s), but that shouldn't be the main and/or only subject of our letter(s)).

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-07-28 at 23:30
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 09:26   #15
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

3×1,609 Posts
Default

We could define one letter, and insert our feelings/findings/questions in line. And finally put our names at the end of the message.

I noticed he used some research I did under the plume name of "Giulio Cesare", with some friends, in the field of alphametics, and is going to publish it on his fifth volume. It would be great to thank him.

Not to mention the fact that I learnt a lot about number theory from pointers and links to his works found in the Mersenneforum. I'm sure he would enjoy knowing about our use of his ideas.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 13:53   #16
flouran
 
flouran's Avatar
 
Dec 2008

15018 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
We could define one letter, and insert our feelings/findings/questions in line. And finally put our names at the end of the message.

I noticed he used some research I did under the plume name of "Giulio Cesare", with some friends, in the field of alphametics, and is going to publish it on his fifth volume. It would be great to thank him.

Not to mention the fact that I learnt a lot about number theory from pointers and links to his works found in the Mersenneforum. I'm sure he would enjoy knowing about our use of his ideas.

Luigi
That's a good start!

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-07-29 at 13:53
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 15:11   #17
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
we should write something more useful than just telling him what his work means to us.
I have some personal connections to specific items mentioned in his books. Had he not written the books, I might never have discovered the personal links.

Quote:
If you don't mind me saying, I think the objective of this thread should be shifted to: what should we write to Knuth about something he would find interesting (other than simply praising him. We can praise him in our letter(s), but that shouldn't be the main and/or only subject of our letter(s)).
... but it's you, not me, that has ever suggested "praising" him!

At no time have I ever suggested "praising" Mr. Knuth. That was your idea and yours alone. Why do you claim that I proposed it? Why do you pretend that "praising" was not your idea? Why won't you take responsibility for being the one to introduce the idea to this thread?

So, yes, I do mind your saying that the objective of the thread should be shifted from your idea (but pretending, against my explicit objections, that it was my idea) to something closer to what was actually my idea in the first place! Please stop it. An apology for lying would also be nice.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-07-29 at 15:26
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 15:14   #18
flouran
 
flouran's Avatar
 
Dec 2008

72·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
So, yes, I do mind your saying that the objective of the thread should be shifted from your idea to something closer to what was my idea in the first place!
Why not incorporate both our ideas together?
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 15:30   #19
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
Why not incorporate both our ideas together?
Where's the apology for lying about whose idea "praising" was?

Are you still pretending that "praising" was my idea, and that your idea was something else, but by combining them you can avoid admitting that?

Why not incorporate truth into your suggestions?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-07-29 at 15:31
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 15:38   #20
flouran
 
flouran's Avatar
 
Dec 2008

72·17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Where's the apology for lying about whose idea "praising" was?
At the time, I didn't feel any need for an apology. We're all grown-ups here, not 5-year-olds. I guess I am not as pedantic as you when it comes to phrasing. Nonetheless, since you want the apology, I am sorry if I mis-commented about what you said (and I mean that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Are you still pretending that "praising" was my idea, and that your idea was something else, but by combining them you can avoid admitting that?
I am not trying to avoid anything, cheesehead. I only meant to incorporate the ideas as a friendly gesture.
Jeez, some people really go out of their way to be insulted, where none was intended.
I think I agree with _HRB_ on the spinal chord label for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Why not incorporate truth into your suggestions?
Again, I agree with _HRB_ on the spinal chord label for you.

Anyways, I'm not going to argue with you cheesehead. Arguing with you is just like the conflict between Israel and Palestine - seemingly never-ending and pointless, as is evidenced from the Is there a God? thread.

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-07-29 at 16:36
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 03:19   #21
flouran
 
flouran's Avatar
 
Dec 2008

72×17 Posts
Default :lol:

Hilarious! One of my friends showed me this:
http://www.terminally-incoherent.com...ust-like-yoda/
This is not meant to be an insult to Dr. Knuth, just a joke I thought I would post here about him (since I didn't think it needed to be on a separate thread).
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
intermediate file write error TaliaW Software 14 2019-03-15 17:56
Donald Trump and the antichrist jasong jasong 13 2016-03-25 07:11
Knuth's GCD Lemma Dougy Math 5 2014-04-08 20:50
Knuth-Schroeppel analysis akruppa Factoring 8 2010-01-08 17:01
Hmmm... write failure? nomadicus Software 1 2006-03-22 20:43

All times are UTC. The time now is 05:35.


Fri Oct 22 05:35:11 UTC 2021 up 91 days, 4 mins, 1 user, load averages: 1.47, 1.45, 1.34

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.