mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-25, 10:06   #1
Brian-E
 
Brian-E's Avatar
 
"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×3×5×109 Posts
Default Please identify!

Xyzzy has posted this astonishing photgraph. It looks to me like a stretch of water the two sides of which are linked partly by bridge and partly by tunnel. That would mean that one end of the tunnel reaches open air in the river or sea! Is that indeed what it shows and where is this amazing piece of engineering? Can Xyzzy or anyone else please identify it??

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2008-07-25 at 10:08 Reason: punctuation
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 11:30   #2
Wacky
 
Wacky's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

100010000012 Posts
Default

I'm not certain, but it looks like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel connecting Norfolk, VA with the eastern shore (Cape Charles, VA)

Last fiddled with by Wacky on 2008-07-25 at 12:16 Reason: Not Maryland
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 11:38   #3
markr
 
markr's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Feb 2003
Sydney

10758 Posts
Default

My first guess was the Oresund Bridge, but I'd say it's part of either the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel or the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel - I'm not sure of the difference/boundary between them. There's also a page on Snopes.com.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 11:58   #4
cheesehead
 
cheesehead's Avatar
 
"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Xyzzy has posted this astonishing photgraph. It looks to me like a stretch of water the two sides of which are linked partly by bridge and partly by tunnel.
I first agreed with the ID as Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, but only because I was not aware of two other similar structures in Virginia which markr mentioned. I defer to snopes.com: the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT).

http://www.snopes.com/photos/archite...idgetunnel.asp

Google Maps shows it from directly above at http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.95...5458&t=k&hl=en

The famous battle of American Civil War ironclads Monitor (Union) and Merrimac (Confederacy) took place about a mile from the MMMBT site.

(Compare overheads of the similar Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) at http://terraserver-usa.com/usgsentry...t+News%7cva%7c and a larger-scale aerial showing both the HRBT and MMMBT at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N...th_rotated.jpg.)

Quote:
That would mean that one end of the tunnel reaches open air in the river or sea!
Sort of, but maybe not the way you mean -- The far end of the tunnel emerges/enters in a structure, near top slightly right of center in photo, that is basically a mirror-image of the one you can see clearly at middle-right of the photo, except much closer to its shore than the one at middle-right is from its shore. Viewed from the other side of the water, the top structure would look similar to what you see at middle-right of the photo, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr View Post
it's part of either the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel or the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel - I'm not sure of the difference/boundary between them.
Both cross the Hampton Roads body of water, several miles east-west of each other, as shown at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N...th_rotated.jpg.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2008-07-25 at 12:39 Reason: Snopes has it: Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 12:16   #5
Wacky
 
Wacky's Avatar
 
Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

32×112 Posts
Default

It is definitely the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel.

This 4.6 mile span crosses the James River connecting Newport News and Suffolk, VA.

The Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel is much older and connects Hampton to Norfolk.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is much longer (23 miles) across the mouth of the Bay.
Wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 13:39   #6
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Xyzzy has posted this astonishing photgraph. It looks to me like a stretch of water the two sides of which are linked partly by bridge and partly by tunnel. That would mean that one end of the tunnel reaches open air in the river or sea! Is that indeed what it shows and where is this amazing piece of engineering? Can Xyzzy or anyone else please identify it??
It is the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel. I have driven over it more than
once.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 15:11   #7
R. Gerbicz
 
R. Gerbicz's Avatar
 
"Robert Gerbicz"
Oct 2005
Hungary

5D616 Posts
Default

http://www.snopes.com/photos/archite...nnel.asp#photo
R. Gerbicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 01:09   #8
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

2×7×227 Posts
Default

Pictures of the real Oresund Bridge (├śresundsbroen):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...und_bridge.JPG

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10069

http://www.godtfoto.dk/data/521/DSC_...sundsbroen.jpg
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 03:10   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101├Ś103 Posts

2×3×1,669 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
It is the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel. I have driven over it more than once.
I have done an out and back on the CBBT. I thought that the tunnel segments were longer.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 09:27   #10
davieddy
 
davieddy's Avatar
 
"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
Xyzzy has posted this astonishing photgraph. It looks to me like a stretch of water the two sides of which are linked partly by bridge and partly by tunnel. That would mean that one end of the tunnel reaches open air in the river or sea! Is that indeed what it shows and where is this amazing piece of engineering? Can Xyzzy or anyone else please identify it??
There is not much mystery about how a tunnel interfaces with
a bridge in the middle of the sea: they build a rectangular island.
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 21:40   #11
Brian-E
 
Brian-E's Avatar
 
"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

1100110001102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
There is not much mystery about how a tunnel interfaces with
a bridge in the middle of the sea: they build a rectangular island.
Well, that was already clear to me (though is there any particular reason why you say "rectangular"? Does it need to be?). However I still consider it a feat of engineering. It would be easier, I guess, if the water at that point is particularly shallow. Now I think about it, probably that is indeed the case - there are likely to be shallow areas in wide rivers and sea inlets everywhere, and presumably one such area will have been selected on which to build the artificial island.

The question about which bridge/tunnel combination it is does not quite seem to have total consensus here, but the proponents of the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel seem to have produced the best supporting evidence.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easily identify composites using multiplication Nightgamer360 Miscellaneous Math 9 2007-07-09 17:38

All times are UTC. The time now is 07:48.


Sun Oct 24 07:48:00 UTC 2021 up 93 days, 2:16, 0 users, load averages: 1.29, 1.09, 1.07

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.