mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2013-03-06, 01:46   #2223
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

22·3·797 Posts

What is your card's brand? You may want to start from their website; usually they use the clocking tools to lure you to register your product (which is not necessarily a bad idea). An older version of the tool may be on the CD/DVD that was included with the card...
EVGA Precision is here,
MSI Afterburner ,
Gigabyte is somewhere in there...
I am sure that Zotac, and others have similar web pages.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 19:40   #2224
TheJudger

"Oliver"
Mar 2005
Germany

11·101 Posts
Default Wanted: help with Makefile

Hello,

since I screwed up the Windows makefile in mfaktc 0.20 (you can use for compiling mfaktc on Windows but when you change some code and recompile it won't work as expected because of some missing dependencies) I would like to merge the three Makefiles into one (if possible and feasible). For all three Makefiles (Linux, Windows and Windows 32bit) the rules are the same, what changes are the compiler and compiler options as well as the name of the object files.

The second question: is it easily possible to build mfaktc in subdirectories of src/ (where to place the object files)?

I'm dreaming of
  • make linux (build mfaktc in src/build.linux)
  • make win32 (build mfaktc in src/build.win32)
  • make win64 (build mfaktc in src/build.win64)
  • make wagstaff linux (build mfaktc for wagstaff numbers in src/build.wagstaff.linux (add -DWAGSTAFF to CFLAGS))
  • make wagstaff win32 (build mfaktc for wagstaff numbers in src/build.wagstaff.win32 (add -DWAGSTAFF to CFLAGS))
  • make wagstaff win64 (build mfaktc for wagstaff numbers in src/build.wagstaff.win64 (add -DWAGSTAFF to CFLAGS))
Of course stuff like make clean needs to be adjusted, too.

Oliver
TheJudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 20:09   #2225
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

233418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudger View Post
For all three Makefiles (Linux, Windows and Windows 32bit) the rules are the same, what changes are the compiler and compiler options as well as the name of the object files.
I'm afraid I'm WAY too busy at the moment to do anything but offer a suggestion...

The GNU build system (AKA Autotools) might help you achieve what you want.

YMMV. I never compile under Windows....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 06:42   #2226
Rodrigo

Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

93410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
What is your card's brand? You may want to start from their website; usually they use the clocking tools to lure you to register your product (which is not necessarily a bad idea). An older version of the tool may be on the CD/DVD that was included with the card...
EVGA Precision is here,
MSI Afterburner ,
Gigabyte is somewhere in there...
I am sure that Zotac, and others have similar web pages.
Thanks, Batalov. This one is a Zotac card, so I'll go in there and see what they have.

Or maybe I'll check out the included CD and actually use it for something!

Rodrigo
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 14:50   #2227
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

Btw, is there a particular reason for disallowing composite exponents?
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 15:41   #2228
TheJudger

"Oliver"
Mar 2005
Germany

111110 Posts

Hi Alex,

I didn't spent time on composite exponents, do the same rules apply for them?
At least for even exponents there are factors which are +/- 3 mod 8, they are excluded in mfaktc because for prime exponents all factors are +/- 1 mod 8.

Oliver
TheJudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 16:10   #2229
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

I guess we can limit ourselves to primitive divisors; divisors of algebraic factors may or may not be found but we can leave those for the user to figure out. For a primitive divisor p of 2^n-1, we have n|p-1, like for prime exponents (where every divisor > 1 is primitive).

As you note, the +-1 (mod 8) thing may not work when n is even. You could still do some tricks with the quadratic character of 2, like for p==1 (mod 4) when 2||n in which case 2 must be a QR for 2^n=1 to hold so we can actually restrict ourselves to p==1 (mod 8), i.e., no need to test p==5 (mod 8), but I think that can also be left alone for a start.

Of course you don't need to sieve by small primes q|n, since p=kn+1 is never divisible by q - if you don't skip those, the sieve init will probably try an impossible mod inverse.

To get something that can be used at all, I think it's enough to allow composite expoents, allow +-3 (mod 8) factors when the exponent is even, and not sieve primes that divide the exponent.
Old 2013-03-10, 02:12   #2230
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

2×17×103 Posts

For what it's worth, the mfaktc performance chart now includes data (from a single benchmark, so interpret loosely) for the GTX Titan. Short story: about the same mfaktc performance as a GTX 570.
http://www.mersenne.ca/mfaktc.php
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 02:35   #2231
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa View Post
Btw, is there a particular reason for disallowing composite exponents?
Considering that mfaktc was designed to eliminate Mersenne prime candidates, it's probably a bit pointless to make it TF known composite numbers.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 03:56   #2232
Redarm

Apr 2012
Berlin Germany

3×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
Short story: about the same mfaktc performance as a GTX 570.

without boost 1.0/2.0 this is correct

with boost, it's not
Redarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 11:57   #2233
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Considering that mfaktc was designed to eliminate Mersenne prime candidates, it's probably a bit pointless to make it TF known composite numbers.
Correct, this is of no value to GIMPS as a prime search project. Some people, including me, sometimes do look for factors of large 2^n-1 numbers, and it would be awesome to be able to use GPUs for the job. If factoring composite exponents is permitted, I think it should be done with minimal developer effort, even if that neglects some relatively easy optimizations that could be done, precisely because factoring such numbers is not the main purpose of mfakc.

Last fiddled with by akruppa on 2013-03-10 at 11:58 Reason: dupe word