Default Bible quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
I'd say Probably> 2^ 45Million
But every time I say something like this,
RDSilverman says it is nonsense:
it's either 0 or 1

David
It would be better to shoot oneself repeatedly in non-lethal areas than to make posting decisions based on Mr. Silverman's opinions.

Let us be as slippery as serpents and as innocent as doves.(Maybe not a good quote to put here, but a really cool one, as Bible quotes go.)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 14:25   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

5×2,179 Posts
Default Bible quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Let us be as slippery as serpents and as innocent as doves.(Maybe not a good quote to put here, but a really cool one, as Bible quotes go.)
Just a correction. It is:
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
Matthew 10:16
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 16:44   #3
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

205210 Posts
Exclamation serpents and doves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

In my version 'wise as serpents and innocent as doves'
OR
as Lady Macbeth tells her husband 'Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it'

Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 17:58   #4
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts

Quote:
I think I may have been very mildly manic when I wrote that, not because it isn't a good quote, but because it doesn't seem to make contextual sense.

Then again, it could've simply been ADD.
Old 2007-07-03, 18:18   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

5·2,351 Posts

Quote:
Matthew may have been a quality writer, but he evidently sucked as a naturalist. Too much time hunched over his books and not enough in the great outdoors, probably.

Serpents aren't wise, but they are well-adapted to their environment and occasionally quite poisonous. Beyond that, they're really quite stupid as animal intelligence goes. Virtually the entirety of their behavioral repertoire is purely instinctive, not learned. (Kinda like most birds in that respect.)

Doves may look cute and harmless, but are as predatory and aggressive when it comes to finding food and mates as other birds. In other words, not necessarily harmless, but (like the sheep, and even a properly prepared snake) quite tasty.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 20:18   #6
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Matthew may have been a quality writer, but he evidently sucked as a naturalist. Too much time hunched over his books and not enough in the great outdoors, probably.

Serpents aren't wise, but they are well-adapted to their environment and occasionally quite poisonous. Beyond that, they're really quite stupid as animal intelligence goes. Virtually the entirety of their behavioral repertoire is purely instinctive, not learned. (Kinda like most birds in that respect.)

Doves may look cute and harmless, but are as predatory and aggressive when it comes to finding food and mates as other birds. In other words, not necessarily harmless, but (like the sheep, and even a properly prepared snake) quite tasty.
You have just touched on why it is important to understand alliteration and context when reading the Bible. For instance, the verse in the Bible that says homosexuals don't go to heaven could easily be a taken out of context cultural reference.(The reason I mention that verse is because the issue of homosexuality is the one that tears me up inside the most. I'm not a homosexual, but I definitely have sympathy for them)
Old 2007-07-04, 16:58   #7
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Post Snakes,doves and sheep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post

Well Ernst I would not comment on his physical attributes. The fact is that he was recording the message of his Master which the world follows even today.

And as today is Independence day in the U.S. (or is it the 5th?) we must remember that the men who drafted the Declaration were God fearing men who believed in freedom liberty and fraternity and followed the message recorded by this evangelist amongst the big four.

Regards serpents maybe he meant they were wise enough to keep out of trouble.

In my personal experience I found snakes always avoided me especially if I stood still. Remember snakes cant hear and depend on the vibrations from their tongues. Hence the phrase 'deaf as an adder' Any motion alerts them and they become defensive.

Millions die of snake bite in India but its not the snakes fault. They are stepped upon by the walkers in 99% of the cases.

The wisdom of snakes stems from the Biblical story in the Garden of Eden when Satan an archangel with beauty in form and intelligence was cursed and was transformed into a serpent. He was expected to retain his intelligence if not his form.

The symbol of the medical profession is the dual snakes wrapped around a staff. I cant recall the name of it right now. The snake was always on the headress of the Pharoahs and their queens as royalty.

Have you ever seen a cobra in the wild? Man! they are majestic creatures and swift as ever esp. when they raise there torso shoulder level with hoods opened up.

As for doves they are docile except when feeding and mating. That's why the innocent image is portrayed of them. They are also the symbol of Truth.

You seem to be a gourmet Ernst but I have never tasted a cooked snake and would never even order for one. Maybe if I'm marooned on a snake infested Island yes for survival.

Well lamb is tasty but the escalopes served particularly in Australia tend to have the obnoxious smell of raw meat. In New York they could be delicious but I preferred a fish dish any day. I would also say that I would prefer a roasted dove to any cooked sheep. But strictly no cooked snake!

Mally
Old 2007-07-04, 17:08   #8
BlisteringSheep

Oct 2006
On a Suzuki Boulevard C90

111101102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode View Post

The symbol of the medical profession is the dual snakes wrapped around a staff. I cant recall the name of it right now. Mally
There actually two different symbols, used by different groups. The staff with two snakes is The Caduceus of Mercury. The staff with a single snake is The Staff of Asclepius.
http://drblayney.com/Asclepius.html
BlisteringSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 17:26   #9
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Thumbs up 3 symbols.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisteringSheep View Post
There actually two different symbols, used by different groups. The staff with two snakes is The Caduceus of Mercury. The staff with a single snake is The Staff of Asclepius.
http://drblayney.com/Asclepius.html

Thank you BS for giving me the valuable link and its important enough to be stored in my Favourites.

I liked the naked Graces in the very first illustration. But as Nero would have said 'they are too thin in the hips'

The 3 rd symbol was the one commanded to Moses to erect a bronze snake to cure snake bitten people.

Mally
Old 2007-07-04, 19:35   #10
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

217116 Posts

Quote:
The staff with two snakes is The Caduceus of Mercury.
A long time ago, in a previous life, we were awarded one of the attached badges. We always thought it was a particularly snazzy looking badge. The one pictured is not our actual badge. We can't seem to scare up ours so we assume the trolls have taken it. (Unlike the badge pictured below, our badge has a polished silver finish, which, we suspect, makes it irresistible.)

It is interesting what people will do for a silly badge or a piece of ribbon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmb.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1829  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 19:42   #11
BlisteringSheep

Oct 2006
On a Suzuki Boulevard C90

2·3·41 Posts

To spare the google servers: linky1 and linky2.
BlisteringSheep is offline   Reply With Quote