mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2009-04-18, 00:54   #1
flouran

Dec 2008

72×17 Posts
Default Poulet numbers with 3 distinct prime factors

I know that in 2004 Galway conjectured a formula for the Poulet number counting function with 2 distinct prime factors. I was wondering if there are any conjectures for the Poulet number (not necessarily Carmichael numbers) counting function with 3 distinct prime factors or how Galway's formula could be extended for 3 distinct prime factors?
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 03:57   #2
flouran

Dec 2008

34116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
I know that in 2004 Galway conjectured a formula for the Poulet number counting function with 2 distinct prime factors. I was wondering if there are any conjectures for the Poulet number (not necessarily Carmichael numbers) counting function with 3 distinct prime factors or how Galway's formula could be extended for 3 distinct prime factors?
For pseudoprimes with 3 distinct prime factors, I conjecture \frac{40000{x^{1/3}}}{\log^3 x}. or not
Old 2009-04-18, 14:18   #3
flouran

Dec 2008

72×17 Posts

Quote:
For pseudoprimes with 3 distinct prime factors, I conjecture \frac{40000{x^{1/3}}}{\log^3 x}
Just now I was looking at a paper of Erdos, and he states the pseudoprimes with k distinct factors are bounded by {c_1}{\log x} < P_k(x) < {c_2}{\frac{x}{(\log^k x)}}
Although these bounds are weak (and were improved by Pomerance), the upper-bound looks a lot like my formula, eh? Note the trivial fact that:
{\frac{x^{\frac{1}{k}}}{(\log^k x)}} < {\frac{x}{(\log^k x)}}.
Old 2009-04-19, 00:56   #4
flouran

Dec 2008

72×17 Posts

So does anyone have any ideas at all? It's fine if they are not good, all I just want are some responses at least (especially the experts)! C'mon guys, it's like a freaking ghost town on this thread!
Old 2009-04-19, 04:07   #5
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11110000011002 Posts

Quote:
all I just want are some responses at least (especially the experts)! C'mon guys, it's like a freaking ghost town on this thread!
Perhaps you need some hobby to occupy your time while waiting s-o-o l-o-o-o-n-g for responses here, especially on a weekend.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 04:23   #6
flouran

Dec 2008

72×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Perhaps you need some hobby to occupy your time while waiting s-o-o l-o-o-o-n-g for responses here, especially on a weekend.
Well, I am at my computer right now and I just finished listening to "Megadeth - Kill the King". Now, I'm listening to "Metallica - Master of Puppets" (one of the epic thrash metal songs!).
If only I had friends to hang out with on a Saturday night....

Anyways, cheesehead, do you have any ideas at all (since you were the first one who responded )?

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-04-19 at 04:26 Reason: I wanted to include my music preferences
Old 2009-04-19, 05:21   #7
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Anyways, cheesehead, do you have any ideas at all (since you were the first one who responded )?
I'm not qualified to comment knowledgeably on this thread's mathematical topic.

As for ideas about hobbies and/or friends: List your interests, then consider how meeting with other people would fit in.

Two quick examples (not claimed to be representative!):

Stamp collecting -- There are conventions and shows. Friend-making potential would lie in conversations one struck up before, during and after the main event.

Thrash metal songs -- I'm not especially familiar with this genre, but I suspect that all song genres would have in common (more or less ...) that (a) folks could get together to sing [hmm... a thrash metal choir ], (b) a small group could form a band to play the music for others to sing [but that's who you're listening to: small groups Megadeth and Metallica!], or (c) folks could get together to attend a performance. Friend-making potential would mainly lie in conversations one struck up before and after the main event.

There -- now extend the list!
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:16   #8
flouran

Dec 2008

15018 Posts

Quote:
I'm not qualified to comment knowledgeably on this thread's mathematical topic.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Quote:
As for ideas about hobbies and/or friends: List your interests, then consider how meeting with other people would fit in.
There -- now extend the list!
Thanks for the advice cheesehead.
Just kidding.

Anyways, so back on topic, anyone at all have any clues? At all? Even the slightest clue?

Last fiddled with by flouran on 2009-04-19 at 08:16
Old 2009-04-19, 10:57   #9
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

142768 Posts

I know that 3*5*7 = 105. Three prime factors right there. Hope that helps.

So, remind me again, what is this thread about anyway?
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 15:12   #10
flouran

Dec 2008

83310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I know that 3*5*7 = 105. Three prime factors right there. Hope that helps.
105 is not a base-2 pseudoprime (it needs to be for it to be at all relevant to this thread).
Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
So, remind me again, what is this thread about anyway?
This thread is about what the formula is which counts the number of base-pseudoprimes with 3 prime factors.
Old 2009-04-29, 03:57   #11
flouran

Dec 2008

83310 Posts

Quote:
Just now I was looking at a paper of Erdos, and he states the pseudoprimes with k distinct factors are bounded by {c_1}{\log x} < P_k(x) < {c_2}{\frac{x}{(\log^k x)}}
That article does not give the proof of the second inequality in (1). Does anyone know where this proof may be (I can't seem to find it anywhere online)?