chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
...article on the Great Leaver turning on everyone who isn't a dead-ender.
Please forgive me for this, but...

This is a bit like watching an amateur Go player doing a "liberty race" to the wall during their first game...

Three-dimensional chess? I don't think so.
Old 2020-12-23, 00:41   #640
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

23×7×167 Posts

Dominion Voting Systems Employee Sues Trump Campaign And Allies, Alleging Defamation
Quote:
A top employee of Dominion Voting Systems, who has gone into hiding after becoming the subject of conspiracy theories on the right since the election, is suing the Trump campaign, a number of campaign surrogates and pro-Trump media outlets for defamation.

Eric Coomer, director of product strategy and security for the Denver-based company, has been baselessly accused of using his position to mastermind a high-tech plot to steal the election for President-elect Joe Biden, whose victory has been certified in the states by officials of both parties with no evidence of widespread fraud or irregularities.

Coomer's suit, filed in Colorado state district court in Denver on Tuesday, accuses those responsible for spreading the falsehoods of intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy.
Old 2020-12-23, 14:02   #641
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·13·83 Posts

From the Indian Express: Explained: A US Senator blocked a Bill that would give Hong Kongers refugee status. What this means
Quote:
The legislation would have also allowed Hong Kong residents already residing in the US to remain in the country if they feared political persecution and harassment by government authorities in Hong Kong.

The passage of a bill that would have given Hong Kong citizens special refugee status in the US was blocked on Friday following objections from Republican Senator Ted Cruz. The bill, called the Hong Kong People's Freedom and Choice Act, would have allowed Hong Kong citizens to reside and work in the US as part of a federal programme reserved for individuals from war-torn countries or those who are seeking refuge from natural disaster or other difficult circumstances.
<snip>
In an attempt to justify the last-minute blocking of the legislation, Cruz had said that Democrats were using this bill "to advance their long-standing goals on changing (US) immigration laws". Cruz had also claimed that China would be using this legislation to exploit US immigration laws and to recruit spies working in the interest of China.
<snip>
While Cruz's stance on immigration is known, this particular bill had been sponsored by both Democrats and Republicans and had moved through consensus in the US House of Representatives, so his objections may have been unexpected. China and Hong Kong are a few issues that lawmakers from both political parties in Washington find themselves agreeing upon and observers have noticed increasing bipartisan unity on these specific issues.

This bill was among the several moves that Washington D.C. was making against what it perceived as Beijing's increasing control and violation of human rights, particularly in the case of Hong Kong. Cruz himself has called for more pressure on Beijing and had expressed solidarity with pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong in the past.

With Cruz's objection, the passage of the bill is now unlikely in the US Senate. Lawmakers will also be going on break for the winter and work will resume in January next year. This bill would have to be reintroduced and the process will have to be repeated.
The term "through consensus" is also called "by unanimous consent." This is a time-saving device to pass non-controversial bills. This bill had already passed the House by unanimous consent. But it only takes an objection from one member to prevent passage by unanimous consent. And with this bill, Ted Cruz was the one.

On May 3, 2016, the day he lost the Indiana primary, Ted Cruz went on an impassioned rant against Donald Trump, a "rush transcript" of which may be found here. (BTW, I recommend it. In the light of what has happened since - especially Ted Cruz becoming a disgustingly servile cult adherent - it is fascinating reading.) In particular, he said:
Quote:
Listen, my father is [sic] has been my hero my whole life. My dad was imprisoned and tortured in Cuba. And when he came to America, he had nothing. He had $100 in his underwear. He washed dishes making 50 cents an hour. You know, he is exactly the kind of person Donald Trump looks down on.
I can see it now: "Sorry, Dad, but we have to send you back. You might be one of Castro's spies..."
Old 2020-12-24, 14:30   #642
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×13×83 Posts

Woman charged in threats against Michigan election official
Quote:
DETROIT (AP) — A woman angry with a Detroit-area election official sent photos of a dead body and threatened her family, a day after a clamorous meeting at which Republican board members initially refused to certify local results in favor of Joe Biden, authorities said Wednesday.

Katelyn Jones, 23, was charged with making a threat of violence. She sent a series of disturbing messages by phone and on social media that referred to Monica Palmer of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers as a terrorist and racist, the FBI said in a court filing.

Jones has ties to Olivet, Michigan, according to her driver's license, but the FBI said she sent the threats from Epping, New Hampshire, where she was staying with her mother, and she was arrested there.
This threat is a federal case because it came from another State.

I find it curious that it was obviously in response to the initial refusal to certify, but came the next day, after Monica Palmer changed her vote.
Old 2020-12-24, 16:44   #643
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×13×83 Posts
Default Sue the bastards!

This lawsuit filed on December 22 in Denver is a doozy.
Quote:
ERIC COOMER, Ph.D., Plaintiff
vs.

DONALD J. TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT, INC., SIDNEY POWELL, SIDNEY POWELL, P.C., RUDOLPH GIULIANI, JOSEPH OLTMANN, FEC UNITED, SHUFFLING MADNESS MEDIA, INC. dba CONSERVATIVE DAILY, JAMES HOFT, TGP COMMUNICATIONS LLC dba THE GATEWAY PUNDIT, MICHELLE MALKIN, ERIC METAXAS, CHANEL RION, HERRING NETWORKS, INC. dba ONE AMERICA NEWS NETWORK, and NEWSMAX MEDIA, INC., Defendants
<snip>
Plaintiff Dr. Eric Coomer is the Director of Product Strategy and Security for Dominion.
<snip>
CAUSES OF ACTION
Defamation Against All Defendants
Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress Against All Defendants
Civil Conspiracy Against All Defendants
Preliminary and Permanent Injunction
<snip>
PRAYER FOR RELIEF
For these reasons, Plaintiff respectfully requests that Defendants be cited to appear and answer, and that the Court enter judgment against Defendants, including, but not limited to:
  • Preliminary and permanent injunctive relief enjoining Defendants Oltmann, FEC United, Conservative Daily, and their officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys from threatening or encouraging acts of violence, intimidation, or coercion against Dr. Coomer and further ordering these Defendants to remove any publication of threats, intimidation, or coercion made against Dr. Coomer;
  • Permanent injunctive relief requiring Defendants and their officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys to remove any and all defamatory publications made about Dr. Coomer;
  • Actual and special damages against Defendants in an amount to be proven at trial;
  • Leave to amend this Complaint and allege exemplary damages in an amount to be proven at trial after the exchange of initial disclosures pursuant to Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure and Plaintiff establishes prima facie proof of triable issues pursuant to C.R.S. § 13-21-102.
  • Attorney’s fees and costs;
  • Prejudgment and post-judgment interest; and
  • Such other and further relief, both general and special, to which Plaintiff may be justly entitled to receive.
Old 2020-12-28, 17:49   #644
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

1,871 Posts

Quote:
This lawsuit filed on December 22 in Denver is a doozy.
I looked at all 52 pages of this. I am not much with legalese. It reads like a civil suit applying only to Colorado. What the desired outcome of this is meant to be seems "muddy" to me. I suppose I was hoping for something with a lot more teeth and claws.
Old 2020-12-28, 19:40   #645
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·13·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I looked at all 52 pages of this. I am not much with legalese. It reads like a civil suit applying only to Colorado.
Assuming the case is allowed to proceed, yes, it will be tried in Colorado. But look at the list of Defendants in my post again. That's the Trump Campaign, two of its lawyers (one now "former"), and a bunch of columnists and media outlets. Then look at the items in the "Prayer for Relief," collected in my post. There may be additional teeth and claws to come. That's what the "Leave to Amend"" is about. "Exemplary damages" are also known as "punitive damages." Those are to punish egregiously bad actors for truly malicious conduct, conceivably bankrupting them.

BTW The "special damages" already alleged are "non-economic" damages - emotional harm, "pain and suffering." They can also be large amounts.
Old 2020-12-29, 16:35   #646
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

1,871 Posts

Quote:
Assuming the case is allowed to proceed, yes, it will be tried in Colorado. But look at the list of Defendants in my post again. That's the Trump Campaign, two of its lawyers (one now "former"), and a bunch of columnists and media outlets. Then look at the items in the "Prayer for Relief," collected in my post. There may be additional teeth and claws to come. That's what the "Leave to Amend"" is about. "Exemplary damages" are also known as "punitive damages." Those are to punish egregiously bad actors for truly malicious conduct, conceivably bankrupting them.

BTW The "special damages" already alleged are "non-economic" damages - emotional harm, "pain and suffering." They can also be large amounts.
The "Trump Campaign" and not the big orange turd himself. This is what I was afraid of. I suspect many people are looking for something "criminal" at the federal level in the first few months of next year. Me, anything that would prevent him from being eligible to run again in '24.
Old 2020-12-29, 20:39   #647
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
The "Trump Campaign" and not the big orange turd himself. This is what I was afraid of. I suspect many people are looking for something "criminal" at the federal level in the first few months of next year. Me, anything that would prevent him from being eligible to run again in '24.
The Lame-Duck-in-Chief is being sued, for defamation. The Plaintiff is a woman who claims he raped her in the 1990's. The statute of limitations on the criminal charge has long since expired, and also for a lawsuit for the alleged rape. She chose to make the accusation publicly after all these years, but she had no legal recourse.

But lucky for her, the Narcissist-in-Chief couldn't help himself, and publicly called the woman a liar. Boom! She filed a defamation suit! And, she claimed she had a stained garment from the rape as evidence she is telling the truth, and wants a sample of Defendant's DNA for comparison.

Enter (then) AtToady General William "Jabba the Hutt" Barr, whose DOJ tried to substitute the gummint as defendant under the Federal Employee Tort Claims Act, which would have also made the taxpayers pay any damages. The Motion for Substitution of Defendant was denied. The denial is being appealed, but IMO at some point the lawsuit will proceed and the DNA sample legally compelled.
Old 2020-12-29, 23:52   #648
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22·2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Can you post a link to that? My quick searches came up void.
Sorry. I just saw this question. This was one remark in a comments thread. I really don't know what article it was attached to.
Old 2020-12-30, 01:47   #649
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Sorry. I just saw this question. This was one remark in a comments thread. I really don't know what article it was attached to.
The remark was obviously not serious:
Quote:
American sources tell me that Trump is planning to sue the US supreme court for upholding the US election results. Most likely he will send his case to the European Court of Justice. Success unlikely, however. If that fails, he will sue the American people for treason. Possibly in Moscow"s 3 municipal district court.
Be it said, however, that at this point the reality is scarcely more believable. This post to Rick Hasen's Election Law Blog describes and gives a link to Federal lawsuit, Gohmert v. Pence, which wants the Court to declare the Electoral Count Act unconstitutional, and grant VP Pence "exclusive authority" to decide which electors' votes to count; in particular, to replace Arizona's duly chosen electors with fake electors who would vote for the incumbent.

This post describes a Supreme Court filing, Trump v. Biden, which I stopped reading when I saw it claimed the dismissal of lawsuits by invoking the "doctrine of laches" was unconstitutional.
Closed Thread