Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-05-07, 13:12   #221
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·3·383 Posts

Flock of giant California condors trashes woman's home
Quote:
TEHACHAPI, Calif. (AP) - Giant California condors are rare - but not at Cinda Mickols' home.
<snip>
The birds have trashed the deck - ruining a spa cover, decorative flags and lawn ornaments. Plants have been knocked over, railings scratched and there's poop everywhere.
<snip>
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which runs a program to save the species from extinction, responded on Twitter. The agency noted that the house is in historic condor habitat, and suggested that Mickols try harmless hazing like shouting and clapping or spraying water.
<snip>
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-07, 13:39   #222
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

25C016 Posts

The California Condors in the wild have almost all been raised in captive breeding programs. When they are being raised, they are taught to fear people. From the moment they are born they don't see people normally. When they are older and the staff needs to do health checks etc. multiple people swarm the cage yelling and screaming at the birds before engulfing them in a tarp. While the breeding programs are being done at 2 zoos, the actual area where they are kept is isolated. The birds can't see people near them normally.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 11:47   #223
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

32×911 Posts

Here are some very messy birds.

We have the bird feeders set up so our cat can watch them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	birds.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	958.2 KB
ID:	25051  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-10, 12:03   #224
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22×3×383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Here are some very messy birds.
<snip>
Perhaps the birds are just cleaning up after the messy squirrels...
Old 2021-06-11, 01:58   #225
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

200078 Posts

Dunno why but there are absolutely no squirrels in or around our house.

Very weird!
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-12, 07:04   #226
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

9,547 Posts

Because no branches and no nuts around?

(to make it clear, this is about the story with two friends who wanted to smuggle a rare, expensive squirrel, they were traveling by train and when it was to cross the borderline, one of them put the squirrel in his pants; the custom officers passed, they looked a bit to the luggage, asked some questions, then they were gone; then in the next second, the guy with the squirrel in his pants pulls the squirrel and throws it out through the window; the other asks "are you idiot? just now after we passed the check, we could be rich!" then the first answered, "when it took my ass as a hollow in a tree I endured, when it took my dick as a branch I endured, but when it took my balls as nuts, I could not endure anymore!")

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-06-12 at 07:05
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-15, 13:30   #227
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·3·383 Posts

I have for some time been noticing that the leaves on my sedum have been getting nibbled. It's been mainly upper leaves, and only slight nibbling. Rabbits sometimes nibble the edges of leaves slightly if it's a new plant for them, but will stop if they don't like it and will chow down if they do. Thus, the persistence of the slight nibbling (as well as the location) contraindicated rabbits.

It also didn't match any kind of insect damage I am familiar with. I was puzzled.

Yesterday, the mystery was solved. I saw a House Finch land on my sedum. As I watched, it dipped its beak several times. After it flew away, I checked and, sure enough - there were nibbled leaves with the edges not dried out. The mystery nibbler is identified! I'm not sure why the bird is doing this. Perhaps it's nibbling at the fleshy leaves to get a bit of moisture.
Old 2021-06-15, 15:16   #228
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

31508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Yesterday, the mystery was solved. I saw a House Finch land on my sedum. As I watched, it dipped its beak several times. After it flew away, I checked and, sure enough - there were nibbled leaves with the edges not dried out. The mystery nibbler is identified! I'm not sure why the bird is doing this. Perhaps it's nibbling at the fleshy leaves to get a bit of moisture.
I have a few bolted kale plants that finches and other small birds enjoy taking nibbles from. The interwebs indicate that many species of sedum are edible, so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that your plants are serving as the local salad buffet.
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 13:11   #229
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

459610 Posts

Thousands of eggs abandoned after a drone scares off nesting birds
Quote:
By
Paulina Firozi
June 7, 2021 at 11:57 p.m. UTC

On a nesting island at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Southern California, thousands of elegant tern eggs dot the sands, abandoned. Now it appears the eggs will never hatch.

After a drone crashed on the reserve grounds on May 13, about 3,000 adult elegant terns were scared off, leaving about 1,500 to 2,000 eggs behind.

"It was devastating," Melissa Loebl, an environmental scientist who manages the reserve, told The Washington Post. "That's one of the largest losses we've had."

Drones, which California Fish and Wildlife officials say are prohibited on state reserves, can look like a "giant bird, a giant predator," to the elegant terns, said Michael H. Horn, a professor emeritus of biology at California State University at Fullerton.
<snip>
There's also been an increase in dogs roaming off-leash, which Loebl said can scare the birds. Loebl said dogs, horses and bicycles are all prohibited in the reserve because they can damage the wildlife.
<snip>
Roger Lederer, a professor emeritus of biological sciences for California State University at Chico, said birds "don't abandon their nests very easily."

In an email to The Post, he noted the recent disruptive activity reported at the reserve, including the off-leash dogs and cyclists, "so I suspect there has been continual stress put on the bird colony and the drone crash was the last straw."
<snip>