mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2003-02-25, 23:56   #1
GoLLiat

Feb 2003

7 Posts
Default I Have a serious problem with the Power Supply

Hi Everyone!

First of all my english is not really good, but i hope it will understandable.
I've built a new system over a week ago.Its a P4 2.80GHZ on a GA-8IHXP Mobo with 2 256 mb PC1066 Samsung ramm. I've planned a little overclocking, so i've got a Volcano7+ CPU Cooler, two additional case Cooler, and a 400 W power supply.In the first week the PC worked well, on the Stock speed.After it i've set the System bus speed to 148 Mhz, so i've got a 3108 MHZ CPU speed.(+Vcore voltage 0.150, and RIMM overvoltage enabled). After this the memtest86 didn't find any problem, then the CPU Stability Test find no problem (the Cpu temp 50-55 C, system temp 30-35 C, under the heat up Tests,wich is looks normal to me)
After all i've started the prime95, but it Stopped itself after a few second with FATAL ERROR...
(its 4.XXXXX the expected is less then 4..etc..)
Then i've pushed a bit up the VCore Voltage(+0.175) then the Prime95 is started to run with no problem.!But! after 4 minutes from the program start, my PC has Shut Down itself, beacuse the Power Supply Died. Thx to my "luck", i've had an backlog Power Supply but only a 300w. I've changed the PS, and Set the system parameters to default (stock) speed, voltage, etc. The PC has worked well about an hour, then i've tried the Prime 95 again, after 4 minute the SAME thing happened! My second PS burnd, in the same way as the first one. :( In one day, two PS, and both is under prime95... i know its weird, but before that , it was a great PC without any problem.I've ordered a new PS wich is 550 W. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.
So, anyone have any idea about this? Please help before i'll burn my new PS.
Thx
GoLLiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-26, 00:17   #2
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

805410 Posts

Are you plugging in the 2x2 connector? That feeds the CPU directly...

If so, I'd try a different motherboard...

Are you sure the power supply fried? It could be set to shut down in the BIOS when it reaches a certain temp...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-26, 00:44   #3
GoLLiat

Feb 2003

1112 Posts

Yes, i'm sure. both PS is fried. The BIOS is set to shut down when it reaches a certain temp, and the 2X2 has plugged in.
I think, if the Mobo wrong, it haven't run for over a week without problem....
Old 2003-02-26, 03:54   #4
xtreme2k

Aug 2002

2·3·29 Posts

For once. Grab a QUALITY power supply. A well known branded one is what I recommend. These ones I usually use. Antec, Enermax, Sparkle (FSP).

Not all 400w or 300w or whatever watt PSU are made equal. 400w brandless is nothing like a 400w well know branded. Yes they do cost more but then so does your RDRAM system :) They are a GOOD investment and last a long time. Its worth paying more for.

I recommend something along the line of a 400-450w well know branded PSU for the system you have.

After solving the PSU dying issue. I recommend you to try updating the BIOS. Early bioses with samsung pc1066 are known to have problems. Also checking the CPU temp at which prime fails. Make sure all your cards are plugged in CORRECTLY and there are no shorting of the motherboard.
xtreme2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-27, 17:16   #5
sjhanson

Dec 2002

2·7 Posts

I am feeling some of your pain, except the other way. I also have a GA-8IHXP and am having problems. I am having problems in the TT and am never able to run more 4hrs, sometimes it will only run for 28 min. I even went and got an Antec 430 Truepower PS. I have to underclock my FSB to 130 to get my machine stable.
sjhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-01, 03:58   #6
DSheets

Aug 2002

2·5 Posts

I've got the same motherboard but with Kingston PC1066 with an Antec TruePower 450 running at stock and never had a problem.

Dan 8)
DSheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-01, 07:03   #7
outlnder

Aug 2002

2·3·53 Posts

GoLLiat, you don't state your location, so I will assume you are in the USA.

Is it possible the voltage selector on the PSU was incorrect?

I have blown 5 PSUs in my DC career and none have done what you describe. Most have just given a scent of smoke and died, one actually gave me small flames.
outlnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-01, 15:54   #8
arjanscholl

Dec 2002

1102 Posts
Default Re: I Have a serious problem with the Power Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLLiat
Hi Everyone!

First of all my english is not really good, but i hope it will understandable.
I've built a new system over a week ago.Its a P4 2.80GHZ on a GA-8IHXP Mobo with 2 256 mb PC1066 Samsung ramm. I've planned a little overclocking, so i've got a Volcano7+ CPU Cooler, two additional case Cooler, and a 400 W power supply.In the first week the PC worked well, on the Stock speed.After it i've set the System bus speed to 148 Mhz, so i've got a 3108 MHZ CPU speed.(+Vcore voltage 0.150, and RIMM overvoltage enabled). After this the memtest86 didn't find any problem, then the CPU Stability Test find no problem (the Cpu temp 50-55 C, system temp 30-35 C, under the heat up Tests,wich is looks normal to me)
After all i've started the prime95, but it Stopped itself after a few second with FATAL ERROR...
(its 4.XXXXX the expected is less then 4..etc..)
Then i've pushed a bit up the VCore Voltage(+0.175) then the Prime95 is started to run with no problem.!But! after 4 minutes from the program start, my PC has Shut Down itself, beacuse the Power Supply Died. Thx to my "luck", i've had an backlog Power Supply but only a 300w. I've changed the PS, and Set the system parameters to default (stock) speed, voltage, etc. The PC has worked well about an hour, then i've tried the Prime 95 again, after 4 minute the SAME thing happened! My second PS burnd, in the same way as the first one. :( In one day, two PS, and both is under prime95... i know its weird, but before that , it was a great PC without any problem.I've ordered a new PS wich is 550 W. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.
So, anyone have any idea about this? Please help before i'll burn my new PS.
Thx
I recognize your problem, because i had the same thing two days ago. :D Prime was giving illegal sumouts because of my overclock, so i increased the voltage....it didn't even boot XP completely before my PS died out. My system is an AMD 2700+ (2167MHz) and i think i was trying to get to 2300MHz. Now i have an brandless 400Watt PS (the old one was a brandless 300Watt). But xtreme2k is right, i should have bought antec or another quality brand instead, this one is giving very bad voltages.
arjanscholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-04, 04:11   #9
GoLLiat

Feb 2003

716 Posts

Well, my new PSU is on the way, it will be here tomorrow, or Wednesday (i hope) its a ANTEC True550 PSU.
The first thing i going to do, is Run the prime95, to see what's going to happen. I'll really hope, arjanscholl , and xtreme2k was right, and this is gonna solve the problem. If it's not, then i'll got a third "trophy", and rethink this whole overclock thing :-)
I really thank you all, the ideas, and advices, and i'll write again, when my new PSU is here.
Old 2003-03-04, 04:23   #10
GoLLiat

Feb 2003

7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlnder
GoLLiat, you don't state your location, so I will assume you are in the USA.

Is it possible the voltage selector on the PSU was incorrect?

I have blown 5 PSUs in my DC career and none have done what you describe. Most have just given a scent of smoke and died, one actually gave me small flames.

Yes, the PSU voltage was correct in both case.
Old 2003-03-05, 14:37   #11
sjhanson

Dec 2002

2·7 Posts

You didn't mention what Video Card you were using. Its says on the box for the GA-8IHXP that if you put in an AGPx2 card, you will damage your board. Maybe its your MOBO that is killing your PS.
sjhanson is offline   Reply With Quote