mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-12-12, 16:01   #1
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

3·1,109 Posts
Default Radeon RX 5500

If and when somebody gets a Radeon RX 5500, I desperately need at least one benchmark for the RX 5x00 series:
https://www.mersenne.ca/mfaktc.php#benchmark
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 08:56   #2
M344587487
 
M344587487's Avatar
 
"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

2×5×79 Posts
Default

That might be a while coming as the 5500/XT is priced way too high at launch, it has the heat and power characteristics of a competing nvidia card but unfortunately and bafflingly a way worse price.


There's also the OpenCL issue, Navi is still unsupported in ROCm and it's likely an issue across the board ( https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues/887 ). I think as Navi is a gaming architecture AMD are letting OpenCL support stagnate.



I will get a 5700/XT or possibly a big Navi 5800/5900 at some point in 2020 (if OpenCL issues get resolved) if that's any consolation.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 15:48   #3
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

3×1,109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
I will get a 5700/XT or possibly a big Navi 5800/5900 at some point in 2020 (if OpenCL issues get resolved) if that's any consolation.
Yes, I really need some kind of benchmark for Navi for mfakto because the performance chart is really a big unknown at this point. Any RX 5x00 benchmark will be most welcome.
James Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 02:17   #4
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

175668 Posts
Default

FWIW, our W5500 works with OpenCL.

https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...postcount=2271

We have a BIOS dump that might be used to flash (or brick) a regular 5500. We don't know if sharing BIOS files is okay or not. If it is okay let us know and we will attach it in this thread.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 06:38   #5
Rodrigo
 
Rodrigo's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

11101001102 Posts
Default

Looking to replace an aging Radeon HD 7770, last week I ordered an ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT. This afternoon, I put the new GPU in the computer, but Windows repeatedly failed to recognize it and I had to revert to the 7770 while researching the issue.

Here are some specs:

Here are some of the steps I took during installation/troubleshooting;
  • Removed and reseated the GPU in the PCIe x16 slot until it clicked into place
  • Verified that all 8 required pins (6+2) were fully inserted
  • Verified that the GPU was operating by feeling the fan air current on my hand (even accidentally touching the slow-moving fan at one point) while the PC was running

And yet, the 5500 just would not show up in Device Manager. Even though the video cable was plugged into the card's HDMI port (DVI-D at the monitor end), all I could get was standard VGA output. There was no question of installing AMD drivers since Windows would not acknowledge the card's presence. (Several attempts at manual installation of the downloaded driver failed.)

Removing the 5500 and reinstalling the 7770 put everything back the way it was in the morning, so we know that the PCIe slot is working properly.

So the question is, what have I missed that led to Windows's inability to see this card?

Last fiddled with by Rodrigo on 2021-02-01 at 06:40 Reason: added hyperlink
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 09:07   #6
dcheuk
 
dcheuk's Avatar
 
Jan 2019
Tallahassee, FL

257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Looking to replace an aging Radeon HD 7770, last week I ordered an ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT. This afternoon, I put the new GPU in the computer, but Windows repeatedly failed to recognize it and I had to revert to the 7770 while researching the issue.

Here are some specs:

Here are some of the steps I took during installation/troubleshooting;
  • Removed and reseated the GPU in the PCIe x16 slot until it clicked into place
  • Verified that all 8 required pins (6+2) were fully inserted
  • Verified that the GPU was operating by feeling the fan air current on my hand (even accidentally touching the slow-moving fan at one point) while the PC was running

And yet, the 5500 just would not show up in Device Manager. Even though the video cable was plugged into the card's HDMI port (DVI-D at the monitor end), all I could get was standard VGA output. There was no question of installing AMD drivers since Windows would not acknowledge the card's presence. (Several attempts at manual installation of the downloaded driver failed.)

Removing the 5500 and reinstalling the 7770 put everything back the way it was in the morning, so we know that the PCIe slot is working properly.

So the question is, what have I missed that led to Windows's inability to see this card?
Does GPU-Z recognize the card?

I think rx5000 series are not supported on windows vista, but only on win 7+. Maybe try booting on a live linux drive and see if it is recognized?
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 14:07   #7
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

32×13×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
There was no question of installing AMD drivers since Windows would not acknowledge the card's presence. (Several attempts at manual installation of the downloaded driver failed.)...
So the question is, what have I missed that led to Windows's inability to see this card?
RX5x00 requires Win7 or 10, Vista or earlier are not supported. Windows 7 is a sufficient OS version. But the failure to complete a download/install of driver is similar to what I hit with RX550 on a Core 2 Duo system. The driver or install program may require a cpu instruction set newer than what's present. Or more free disk space than is available. In my case it was not a disk space issue, so I concluded cpu too old, wasting my time trying, and put the card elsewhere. Old gpus work on old OS & old cpu (Quadro 2000 or Quadro 4000 on Core2 on Vista). No info to share on Linux support for new gpus on old cpus. Might be able to use WSL for an experiment if the cpu will support that. Good luck.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-02-01 at 14:11
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 15:45   #8
Rodrigo
 
Rodrigo's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2×467 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheuk View Post
Does GPU-Z recognize the card?

I think rx5000 series are not supported on windows vista, but only on win 7+. Maybe try booting on a live linux drive and see if it is recognized?
That's what's puzzling about it, this is on a Windows 7 and not a Vista system. According to everything I've seen, including the specs on the box, it should work on Windows 7.

I can try putting it back in to see if GPU-Z will find the card, but it's not looking very likely since Windows itself couldn't find it.
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 15:51   #9
Rodrigo
 
Rodrigo's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

2·467 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
RX5x00 requires Win7 or 10, Vista or earlier are not supported. Windows 7 is a sufficient OS version. But the failure to complete a download/install of driver is similar to what I hit with RX550 on a Core 2 Duo system. The driver or install program may require a cpu instruction set newer than what's present. Or more free disk space than is available. In my case it was not a disk space issue, so I concluded cpu too old, wasting my time trying, and put the card elsewhere. Old gpus work on old OS & old cpu (Quadro 2000 or Quadro 4000 on Core2 on Vista). No info to share on Linux support for new gpus on old cpus. Might be able to use WSL for an experiment if the cpu will support that. Good luck.
I was wondering if there may be some hardware incompatibility related to the CPU or the PCI version.

The GPU fan did spin up and I did get (VGA) video, so it's not like it was completely dead in the PC. But "scan for new hardware" in Device Manager did nothing, as if there were nothing new to scan for.

FWIW, the CPU is an Intel Core i7-3770.
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 15:57   #10
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

2·29·101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
I was wondering if there may be some hardware incompatibility related to the CPU or the PCI version.

The GPU fan did spin up and I did get (VGA) video, so it's not like it was completely dead in the PC. But "scan for new hardware" in Device Manager did nothing, as if there were nothing new to scan for.

FWIW, the CPU is an Intel Core i7-3770.
VGA from the graphics card or the motherboard? As far as I can tell it doesn't have VGA. Sometimes something needs to be connected at boot. It looks like that is HDMI or DisplayPort in this case.
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-01, 16:06   #11
Rodrigo
 
Rodrigo's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Pennsylvania

16468 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
VGA from the graphics card or the motherboard? As far as I can tell it doesn't have VGA. Sometimes something needs to be connected at boot. It looks like that is HDMI or DisplayPort in this case.
The PC was connected to the monitor via an HDMI-to-DVI-D cable (HDMI at the GPU, DVI-D at the monitor).

The graphics card has four ports, including one HDMI and three DP. I could try one of the DisplayPorts, although that would require ordering a new video cable or adapter.
Rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 ET_ GPU Computing 1 2019-07-04 11:02
Radeon Pro Vega II Duo (look at this monster) M344587487 GPU Computing 10 2019-06-18 14:00
What's the best project to run on a Radeon RX 480? jasong GPU Computing 0 2016-11-09 04:32
Radeon Pro Duo 0PolarBearsHere GPU Computing 0 2016-03-15 01:32
AMD Radeon R9 295X2 firejuggler GPU Computing 33 2014-09-03 21:42

All times are UTC. The time now is 20:23.

Tue Apr 20 20:23:11 UTC 2021 up 12 days, 15:04, 1 user, load averages: 4.47, 3.73, 3.39

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.