mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2018-07-07, 22:40   #3235
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3×7×167 Posts

If you could communicate to your pets, or even wild animals, a simple fact or facts, what would you tell them?

I think the most obvious thing would be to teach animals how to cross roads. It'd be awesome if we could put up signs to tell them how to get across safely.

I also have a little dog that likes to come in and lie on my bed. I'd teach him two things. The first thing is that he's allowed to be near my pillow, it's the licking of the pillow that makes me unhappy with him. And the second thing would be that cat poop shouldn't be considered a food item and he needs to stop eating it.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 22:58   #3236
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts

This garbage is happening in the United States of America. These cops are horrible.
(for the record, stoning is Old Testament, it's been sin since Jesus first sent the Holy Spirit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOL_ommK3qg
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 23:57   #3237
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·5,813 Posts

Jasong, please keep the religion in the Soap Box. Your ongoing attempt to inject your beliefs into seemingly every single thread in which you post are starining the patience of the mods. To put it in terms you should appreciate: banishment is also a 'biblical' punishment.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 01:04   #3238
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Jasong, please keep the religion in the Soap Box. Your ongoing attempt to inject your beliefs into seemingly every single thread in which you post are starining the patience of the mods. To put it in terms you should appreciate: banishment is also a 'biblical' punishment.
Nothing worse than "starined" mods. I feel a bit starined, myself, by the biblical drumbeat. I can appreciate the anthropological background to this highly derivative collection of legends common in the region, in the times leading up to the beginning of the Common Era. There were a few messianic figures, some of whom even were claimed to have Virgin Birth in their resumes.

I am really into creation mythologies from many places. Check out the Popol Vuh, Maya Creation Myth. (See PDF) Some of it is stirring, some of it amusing. It is certainly colorful. But don't think that I am going to take up propitiating the Nine Lords of the Underworld, or other deities in these stories. These legendary exploits represent a part of the minds of the people who dreamed them up. That is where "supernatural" events take place.

The world is replete with such tales. I read them to better understand humanity, and, I hope, myself. I don't plan on taking up a belief system based on them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PopolVuh.pdf (1,022.1 KB, 43 views)

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2018-07-11 at 01:09
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-12, 21:23   #3239
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·5,813 Posts

In other news that 'starins' belief:

Florida man with no arms charged with stabbing man with scissors | Reuters
Old 2018-07-13, 13:07   #3240
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10001100010102 Posts

Quote:
In other news that 'starins' belief:

Florida man with no arms charged with stabbing man with scissors | Reuters
Even more incredibly, it's not an isolated incident. According to this Miami New Times article,
Quote:
Court records show Crenshaw has repeatedly clashed with police and has been charged with violent crimes in the past. He's been charged at least four times since 2010 with battery on police, firefighters, and city code inspectors. In 2011, he was caught on-camera trashing a hotel lobby.
Most recently, he was convicted of felony battery on a police officer in 2014 and sentenced to 180 days in jail.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 00:59   #3241
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·5,813 Posts

Legal question: In the latest incident Crenshaw clearly used the scissors as a weapon. But how could a prosecutor reasonably charge him with an armed felony?

[Quickly ducks out back door of the theater, as the rotting produce begins its descent.]

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2018-07-14 at 00:59
Old 2018-07-14, 01:43   #3242
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Quote:
Legal question: In the latest incident Crenshaw clearly used the scissors as a weapon. But how could a prosecutor reasonably charge him with an armed felony?

[Quickly ducks out back door of the theater, as the rotting produce begins its descent.]
Anything used to penetrate someone's body is a de facto weapon. I carry around screwdrivers of various sizes at work. The larger ones could stand in for a rapier in terms of reaching vital organs. Any of them would produce an ugly and very painful wound wherever inserted, even if the site was not immediately lethal.
EDIT: Consider the effects of having a long #3 Phillips screwdriver jammed into one's buttock or thigh muscles.
EDIT2: Of course, puncturing the femoral artery would probably produce all of the above, plus rapid bleed out.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2018-07-14 at 01:51
Old 2018-07-14, 02:55   #3243
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

954410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Anything used to penetrate someone's body is a de facto weapon.
Does that include my penis?

Quote:
Consider the effects of having a long #3 Phillips screwdriver jammed into one's buttock or thigh muscles.
As a Canadian I prefer a Robertson. Less likely to strip....

(Sorry. I know you're being serious, but I just couldn't hold myself back from the obvious joke.)
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 03:05   #3244
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Does that include my penis?

As a Canadian I prefer a Robertson. Less likely to strip....

(Sorry. I know you're being serious, but I just couldn't hold myself back from the obvious joke.)
I am amused by your rejoinder. Without Googling, I don't know what 'Robertson' is, though I suspect that it might be what we call 'star' at work.This is only process of elimination. For us Yanks, male hex tools are called Allen wrench, or hex key.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2018-07-14 at 03:06 Reason: 't'
Old 2018-07-14, 03:24   #3245
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×5,813 Posts

Quote:
Anything used to penetrate someone's body is a de facto weapon...
My [] remark was intended as a tip-off, but you still missed it. Here's a hint in spoiler form:

'armed felony'