mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2007-03-11, 02:15   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default Prime95 on Playstation Portable

Right now, I'm preparing to put sr5sieve(or sr2sieve) on my PSP.

The vast majority of the effort has to do with preparing the computer(windows XP) to compile PSP source code in general. Preparing the computer takes about 20 minutes of actual work, but 48-72 hours of the computer "doing it's thing." It remains to be seen how cpu intensive it is.

Because of what I've seen so far, I'm interested what open source programs in general can do on a psp. If anybody is good at compiling, or simply has a PSP that they want to put cool programs on, I'm on irc as "jasong". You can attempt to contact me anytime after 4pm February 12th(monday) UTC time.

Okay, got a little sidetracked there. My reason for posting this thread is I was wanting to know if there's anything special I need to know to compile Prime95, other than possibly typing ./configure, make, make install, and crossing my fingers. I know some of those commands are sometimes unnecessary, but I'm of the opinion that if they're unnecessary, I'm assuming(erroneously?) that entering them, as a matter of habit, is a good idea, simply to avoid frustration from assuming that they're NOT necessary, and being wrong.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 03:50   #2
rgiltrap

Apr 2006
Down Under

89 Posts

I believe Prime95 has lots of assembler code in it specifically for x86 style processors as such I do not believe it will compile on a non-x86 processor.
rgiltrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 12:02   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiltrap View Post
I believe Prime95 has lots of assembler code in it specifically for x86 style processors as such I do not believe it will compile on a non-x86 processor.
Maybe I should've said mprime. :) Would there be any problems with compiling mprime?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 13:12   #4
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

Hi Jason.

Unfortunately mprime uses the IDENTICAL assembly code that prime95 does, just linked in. The C code around it is for menus and to set up the data and call the fast part. Sorry it would be a mammoth task to rewrite the core code, and not worth it because of the very slow speed on PSP (due to lack of cache etc) where you would also have to re-optimise it for that architecture.

However there are some other trial FACTORING programs written entirely in C that might usefully be compiled for the PSP, even if they would run slowly. There may also be limits on the size of the floating point registers (if any).

I have to add that in order to run arbitrary binaries you are likely to have re-flashed your firmware or be using a very old one? I think that voids your warranty and means you can't get Sony's latest features on the PSP.

I think your earlier idea of getting a PS3 to compile with/run on is preferrable since it would not void the console as a games machine, and also Sony officially sanction running linux on it, and also the machine has more processing power (although maybe not enough for stunning performance).

If I were you I'd think about one of the nextgen gpus that are programmable and try that. The nvidia ones out later this year are claimed that they will support full 64 bit floating point math, which is what all of us here want ;-)

Last fiddled with by Peter Nelson on 2007-03-11 at 13:13
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 07:15   #5
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Maybe I should've said mprime.
Mlucas?