mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2002-08-16, 09:25   #1
xtreme2k

Aug 2002

2×3×29 Posts
Default A few questions :)

I am current running Prime95 however, not an expert at it. Currently thinking of changing my team to TPR.

- Can you change team in the middle of a LL test? I dont think so but just asking :)

- Does double-checking get credited as a real LL test or do they scale the hours down?

- How many errors/warns during a LL test that will render the result unacceptable?
xtreme2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 10:17   #2
bayanne

"Tony Gott"
Aug 2002
Yell, Shetland, UK

13516 Posts

Yes, you can change whenever you want.

[Edited and removed]

You get credited for no matter how many hours you are crunching. The measuring units are P90 cpu years which are based on how long your computer was crunching, weighted for the speed of your computer against how long a Pentium 90 would crunch the exponent in. Thus it does not matter whether you are working on a DC or an LL.

One error is enough to throw the result. It just depends on what sort of error you are receiving.
bayanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 13:18   #3
whilden

Aug 2002

29 Posts

-xtreme2k-

Not sure on changing the team name in the middle of an LL, I thought for sure you would get error messages with something said to the fact that "the exponent does not belong to you", I will defer to george on this one and bayanne.

To join any team you will need to visit their site and ask the team captain for password etc, it is my understanding that this forum will keep recruiting talk to a minimium. TeamPrimeRib members in particular should not bring up our team, this forum is just away for us to give something back to the Gimps community.

I think in the next couple of years "Teams" will become a bigger part of GIMPS just like in other DC projects. IMO this will lead to an even greater success for this project.
whilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 13:29   #4
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

166518 Posts

I thought I'd mention that even though TPR "hosts" this site, our members are under strict instructions to not recruit either overtly in the forums or covertly in private messaging...

This BBS is our way of giving back to the community and is not to be used as a recruiting tool... If anyone abuses this, please notify me immediately...

Now you will see many TPR members posting here, but that is because they are very excited about GIMPS and are very involved... Right now the number of TPR members is disproportionate only because the announcement in the mailing list was posted in their forum...

I can always add "TPR" to the banned word thing... If you all feel this is a good idea just let me know...

Possibly, in the future, we may have team specific forums, if that is what you all want... I plan to make very few changes at first... Once we are all more comfortable with this BBS then we can begin making alterations...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 14:01   #5
xtreme2k

Aug 2002

2×3×29 Posts

To be honest I really dont know what the hell is the problem. Currently I am not a member of any teams other than Priming under my own name. All I said was that I might change to TPR. Up to now I see NOBODY trying to recruit in here. I seriously think you guys are too sensitive about something that MIGHT happen.

Anyway thanks for the answers. I will wait till the LL is done (33M though) before I make any changes.
xtreme2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 14:13   #6
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3×2,531 Posts

There isn't a problem... I was addressing that message to the other members and not to you specifically... It is just my intent that this particular issue be addressed right from the start... George even mentioned this issue in his official announcement...

Quote:
P.S. Don't be fooled by the "www.teamprimerib.com" in the URL. The forums are for all GIMPS members and will not be used as promotional tool for this particular GIMPS team.
Anyways, I hope you have fun, and please accept my apology if I have offended you...
Old 2002-08-16, 14:58   #7
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

166518 Posts

Note that bayanne voluntarily edited his message above... If I ever have to edit a message, I will identify myself next to the edit...

I personally want to avoid having to do that kind of work, because I feel that the best moderators are the ones who are never seen... Also, I am quite lazy...

During the first few days here, we will somehow come up with a set of informal rules to guide us... All suggestions are, of course, appreciated...
Old 2002-08-16, 15:17   #8
Complex33

Aug 2002
Texas

9B16 Posts

I was wondering whether there might be the addition of production plots to the primenet site that are current. In no way do I want to add to the work load of anyone involved in the project as they already are quite responsive and deeply involved. I was just curious to see the relative CPU power over the life of the project, its doubling time, etc.

Complex
Complex33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 15:25   #9
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1DA916 Posts

Are you are talking about this page?

http://mersenne.org/ips/stats.html

I'd like to see some updated numbers, also...

I really like how RC5 does theirs...

http://n0cgi.distributed.net/statistics/
Old 2002-08-16, 21:51   #10
Digital Concepts

Aug 2002

2×33 Posts

xtreme2k

I am positive that you can join a team in the middle of an exponent - it'd be rather hard to time it otherwise!

If you've never been part of a team, joining a team the first time works as you would hope - <food channel's naked chef> easy peasy </chef>; current work and past work get added to the new team's totals.

When you are already a member of a team, that gets a little trickier...

Let's say you've already grouped several machines, all belonging to yourself, into your own team; but now want to move them to another team. Use the client and modify all machines with the new team information. Now, your work in progress (and that of the future) belongs to the new team. The problem is, the past work done for a team, is not magically transferred via primenet. If you want all your history to be transferred, you need to send George an email with the specifics asking for a manual transfer.

If you noticed, in this transaction, ALL history from the old team got transferred to the new team. Any references between the work done by the old team is lost.

So now let's say you and your machines want to move again...

You can change team info and begin new production for the newest team. But past production stays behind. Why? Because only full team transfers are done. Moving your past credit would constitute a partial transfer which is considered too messy to deal with.

Hope this helped.
Digital Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-08-16, 22:04   #11
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3×2,531 Posts

Sometimes, you can do it here, too...

http://www.mersenne.org/ips/manualtests.html#accounts

But every time I have tried to get somebody switched, Brad had to get involved...

It is worth a try, though...