Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2017-05-02, 01:05   #1
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·5·17·67 Posts
Default Establishment Media Witch

Seems like its high time to start a thread covering the biggest spreaders of pernicious propaganda and fake news bar none, our beloved Establishment Media, also often referred to as the MSM (mainstream media) and for the print-based ones, as various "papers of record".

o Marines Return to Helmand Province for a Job They Thought Was Done | NYT — The greatest part of this headline is that it could have been written 15 years ago and still be true. Brought to you by the paper that has arguably done more than any other in service of the Permanent Global War Project.

o http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/04...ists.html#more
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 03:26   #2
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26C516 Posts
Default Hearst: "You give me the pictures and I'll give you the war."

You are right. People close to me seem to have bought in. I am discouraged at how complete the subscription to propaganda has become.

Don't confuse us with facts. Wars, properly presented and edited, keep eyes on the screen.
https://www.democraticunderground.co...esg_id=1982285
Quote:
The parallels are endless. We were hoodwinked into this by a lucky lingering fire in a coal bunker on the Maine that heated up a bulkhead next to a magazine. Why else was the ship was raised and towed to deep water many years later?
Slightly different version-
http://www.iancfriedman.com/?p=29
Quote:
Whatever its true cause, Hearst determined that the sinking of the Maine was the result of Spanish treachery and his paper vigorously published stories that helped create and foster the American sentiment reflected in the popular phrase, “Remember the Maine, to Hell with Spain!” Within three months, the United States was at war with Spain in what became known as the Spanish-American War. Though it was only one of the factors–and an often overemphasized factor–that led the U.S. into war with Spain, the effect of Hearst’s newspaper on shaping American support for war was enormously significant. It also signified the growing influence of mass media, which had never before proven to be as immediate and far-reaching.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-05-02 at 03:27
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 04:02   #3
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

52×397 Posts
Default Intel Vets Voice Doubts on Syrian Crisis

This is just another example of what I was writing, and quoting about, above.
https://consortiumnews.com/2017/04/2...syrian-crisis/
Quote:
Two dozen former U.S. intelligence professionals are urging the American people to demand clear evidence that the Syrian government was behind the April 4 chemical incident before President Trump dives deeper into another war.

AN OPEN MEMORANDUM FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE
From: Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)
Subject: Mattis ‘No Doubt’ Stance on Alleged Syrian CW Smacks of Politicized Intelligence
Donald Trump’s new Secretary of Defense, retired Marine General James “Mad Dog” Mattis, during a recent trip to Israel, commented on the issue of Syria’s retention and use of chemical weapons in violation of its obligations to dispose of the totality of its declared chemical weapons capability in accordance with the provisions of both the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) and relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions.
Quote:
The danger of this rush toward an intelligence decision by Director Pompeo and National Security Advisor McMaster is that once the President and his top national security advisors have endorsed an intelligence-based conclusion, and authorized military action based upon that conclusion, it becomes virtually impossible for that conclusion to change. Intelligence assessments from that point forward will embrace facts that sustain this conclusion, and reject those that don’t; it is the definition of politicized intelligence, even if those involved disagree.
A similar “no doubt” moment had occurred nearly 15 years ago when, in August 2002, Vice President Cheney delivered a speech before the Veterans of Foreign Wars. “There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction,” Cheney declared. “There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies and against us.” The message Cheney was sending to the Intelligence Community was clear: Saddam Hussein had WMD; there was no need to answer that question anymore.
Old 2017-05-02, 13:42   #4
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1100111110012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Seems like its high time to start a thread covering the biggest spreaders of pernicious propaganda and fake news bar none, our beloved Establishment Media, also often referred to as the MSM (mainstream media) and for the print-based ones, as various "papers of record".
As to the determination that the Maine was sunk by a coal fire, an article in Smithsonian entitled Remember The Maine says this was the result of an official US Navy investigation:
Quote:
In 1976, Adm. Hyman Rickover of the U.S. Navy mounted yet another investigation into the cause of the Maine disaster. His team of experts found that the ship's demise was self-inflicted--likely the result of a coal bunker fire.
Another oft-told tale of the march toward war with Spain is the following, repeated here by a 1947 article in TIME magazine:
Quote:
When Hearst Artist Frederic Remington, cabled from Cuba in 1897 that "there will be no war," William Randolph Hearst cabled back: "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war."
However, according to a plethora of sites, such as this one, this incident almost certainly never happened.

A post by ewmayer to Your Next Supreme Commander about the recent alleged CW attack in Syria here (#447 to the thread) included the following quotation:
Quote:
"A pair of veteran leaders on the left, former Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean and Center for American Progress President Neera Tanden, called on Hawaiians to vote Rep. Tulsi Gabbard out of office after the Democrat questioned whether Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was responsible for last week’s chemical attack."
This brought to mind something I'd heard about a war in the Nineteenth Century. A description from Smithsonian Magazine may be found in an article entitled Why Abraham Lincoln Was Revered in Mexico:
Quote:
Early on in Lincoln’s political career, as a freshman Whig congressman from Illinois, he condemned the 1846 U.S. invasion of Mexico, bucking the prevailing patriotic tide and accusing President James K. Polk of promoting a falsehood to justify war. After a skirmish of troops in an area of what is now south Texas, but was then disputed territory, Polk declared that "American blood has been shed on American soil” and that therefore “a state of war” existed with Mexico. “Show me the spot where American blood was shed,” Lincoln famously challenged, introducing the first of eight “Spot resolutions” questioning the constitutionality of the war. Lincoln’s stand proved unpopular with his constitutents—he became known as “Spotty Lincoln”—and he did not seek re-election.
Note: the mipsplepping "constitutents" is as it appears in the article; I copy-pasted the quotation.

There is sometimes a tendency to discount present-day criticisms of past actions, as judging yesterday by today's standards. However, according to many references, such as The Grant gang anti-home page, Ulysses Grant, who was there at the time, saw the war as unjust.
Quote:
During the Mexican War (1846-48) he was quartermaster for his regiment. However, he did see some action, although how much is debated. At the battles of Molino del Rey under Zachary Taylor and Chapultepec under Winfield Scott, he earned brevet commissions as first lieutenant and captain, although his permanent rank was first lieutenant. Grant wrote years later: "I do not think there was ever a more wicked war....I thought so at the time...only I had not moral courage enough to resign."

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2017-05-02 at 14:11
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-04, 00:12   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

261768 Posts

NYT Cheers the Rise of Censorship Algorithms Robert Parry, Consortiumnews
Quote:
...the Times gives no thought to the potential downside of having a select group of mainstream journalistic entities feeding their judgment about what is true and what is not into some algorithms that would then scrub the Internet of contrary items.

Since the Times is a member of the Google-funded First Draft Coalition – along with other mainstream outlets such as The Washington Post and the pro-NATO propaganda site Bellingcat – this idea of eliminating information that counters what the group asserts is true may seem quite appealing to the Times and the other insiders. After all, it might seem cool to have some high-tech tool that silences your critics automatically?

But you don’t need a huge amount of imagination to see how this combination of mainstream groupthink and artificial intelligence could create an Orwellian future in which only one side of a story gets told and the other side simply disappears from view.

As much as the Times, the Post, Bellingcat and the others see themselves as the fount of all wisdom, the reality is that they have all made significant journalistic errors, sometimes contributing to horrific international crises.
IMO Parry is being far too kind with 'errors' in the last sentence. "Mistakes were made!", dontchaknow.
Old 2017-06-14, 07:22   #6
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·5·17·67 Posts

Lee Camp: How to Write Propaganda for the NY Times - As Demonstrated in an Article About Me | naked capitalism

Oh, and one of the comments to the above reminded me of this great eye-opening piece from last fall, before I started this thread:

An Obituary of The New York Times | Johannes Wahlström, Unz Review

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2017-06-14 at 07:29
Old 2017-06-19, 03:59   #7
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·5·17·67 Posts

How You Can Be Absolutely Certain That Mainstream Media Lies About Everything | Caitlin Johnstone, Medium
Old 2017-06-28, 05:27   #8
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

101001100112 Posts

I decided to put some batteries in an old AM/FM radio I have here to see if it still worked. I turned it on and I heard Rush Limbaugh. He spent the better part of an hour blistering CNN.

If one is to believe what they hear, it seems the powers-that-be at CNN insist that Russia stay front-and-center. If one of their journalists drifts off-topic for more than a day, they get told very plainly to drop whatever they are working on, like a hot rock, and get back on Russia.

Of course, all of this is about supposed election tampering, interference, or whatever you want to call it. Apparently, some suggest this all began way before the election last November.

All this begs the question, did this tampering really take place, or is CNN on a vengeance quest about the outcome of the election last November?

storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-28, 06:18   #9
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

52×397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
https://counterpropa.com/7-jaw-dropp...fraud-lawsuit/
Link from the article, which describes a Class Action suit against the DNC and DW-S. A Reagan-appointed Judge is presiding. DNC lawyer argues that the Primary WAS run fairly and evenhandedly, but that the Party IS NOT REQUIRED to conduct a fair Primary. The suit involves allegations of fraud with regard to the solicitation of funds and the distribution of funds. The Judge seems very skeptical of the Defense's circular arguments, and delivers the stunning remark that "Democracy demands the truth so people can make intelligent decisions."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Judge-Twitter.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	16341  

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-06-28 at 06:22
Old 2017-06-29, 23:28   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

261768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I decided to put some batteries in an old AM/FM radio I have here to see if it still worked. I turned it on and I heard Rush Limbaugh. He spent the better part of an hour blistering CNN.

If one is to believe what they hear, it seems the powers-that-be at CNN insist that Russia stay front-and-center. If one of their journalists drifts off-topic for more than a day, they get told very plainly to drop whatever they are working on, like a hot rock, and get back on Russia.

Of course, all of this is about supposed election tampering, interference, or whatever you want to call it. Apparently, some suggest this all began way before the election last November.

All this begs the question, did this tampering really take place, or is CNN on a vengeance quest about the outcome of the election last November?

Perhaps this will help unconfuse you:

CNN Journalists Resign: Latest Example of Media Recklessness on the Russia Threat | Glenn Greenwald, The Intercept
Quote:
Several factors compound CNN’s embarrassment here. To begin with, CNN’s story was first debunked by an article in Sputnik News, which explained that the investment fund documented several “factual inaccuracies” in the report (including that the fund is not even part of the Russian bank, Vnesheconombank, that is under investigation), and by Breitbart, which cited numerous other factual inaccuracies.

And this episode follows an embarrassing correction CNN was forced to issue earlier this month when several of its highest-profile on-air personalities asserted — based on anonymous sources — that James Comey, in his congressional testimony, was going to deny Trump’s claim that the FBI director assured him he was not the target of any investigation.

When Comey confirmed Trump’s story, CNN was forced to correct its story. “An earlier version of this story said that Comey would dispute Trump’s interpretation of their conversations. But based on his prepared remarks, Comey outlines three conversations with the president in which he told Trump he was not personally under investigation,” said the network.

But CNN is hardly alone when it comes to embarrassing retractions regarding Russia. Over and over, major U.S. media outlets have published claims about the Russia Threat that turned out to be completely false — always in the direction of exaggerating the threat and/or inventing incriminating links between Moscow and the Trump circle. In virtually all cases, those stories involved evidence-free assertions from anonymous sources that these media outlets uncritically treated as fact, only for it to be revealed that they were entirely false.
Old 2017-06-30, 03:20   #11
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

52×397 Posts

Quote:
What is most notable about these episodes is that they all go in the same direction: hyping and exaggerating the threat posed by the Kremlin. All media outlets will make mistakes; that is to be expected. But when all of the “mistakes” are devoted to the same rhetorical theme, and when they all end up advancing the same narrative goal, it seems clear that they are not the byproduct of mere garden-variety journalistic mistakes
Any major media outlet, especially the news, is one of the Mouths of Sauron**, as far as I am concerned. I am terrified by the sort of Morgul Spells that are being cast. If you know what I mean. It seems to be a concerted rush to war, aided and abetted by the Ministry of Truth, in all its various manifestations.
**Visible mouthpieces for hidden power.
As long as this post is still edible, I'll throw in what I landed on at Consortiumnews.org
https://consortiumnews.com/2017/06/2...a-gate-canard/
Exclusive: A founding Russia-gate myth is that all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies agreed that Russia hacked into and distributed Democratic emails, a falsehood that The New York Times has belatedly retracted, reports Robert Parry.

Quote:
The New York Times has finally admitted that one of the favorite Russia-gate canards – that all 17 U.S. intelligence agencies concurred on the assessment of Russian hacking of Democratic emails – is false.

On Thursday, the Times appended a correction to a June 25 article that had repeated the false claim, which has been used by Democrats and the mainstream media for months to brush aside any doubts about the foundation of the Russia-gate scandal and portray President Trump as delusional for doubting what all 17 intelligence agencies supposedly knew to be true.

In the Times’ White House Memo of June 25, correspondent Maggie Haberman mocked Trump for “still refus[ing] to acknowledge a basic fact agreed upon by 17 American intelligence agencies that he now oversees: Russia orchestrated the attacks, and did it to help get him elected.”

However, on Thursday, the Times – while leaving most of Haberman’s ridicule of Trump in place – noted in a correction that the relevant intelligence “assessment was made by four intelligence agencies — the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency. The assessment was not approved by all 17 organizations in the American intelligence community.”

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2017-06-30 at 03:37 Reason: Examples, quotation marks