mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2012-03-13, 09:02   #1
Unregistered

137378 Posts
Default Can I specify the range to search the Mersenne Prime?

Can I specify the range to search the Mersenne Prime?
Old 2012-03-13, 11:33   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Yes, at http://www.mersenne.org/manual_assignment/ (make sure you're logged in first to associate the reservation with your account) you can specify the exponent range you'd like to reserve.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2012-03-13 at 11:36
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 13:51   #3
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Yes, at http://www.mersenne.org/manual_assignment/ (make sure you're logged in first to associate the reservation with your account) you can specify the exponent range you'd like to reserve.
Range?

A novice user should not reserve more than one number.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 14:04   #4
rajula

"Tapio Rajala"
Feb 2010
Finland

32×5×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Range?

It was only a bad choice of words: One can specify the range from where the exponent(s) are reserved.

Although by reserving one number you are also reserving a range consisting of one number, so...

In any case, the meaning of Mini-Geeks reply was evident once you follow the link (as the OP will obviously do).
rajula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 14:50   #5
Unregistered

23·34·7 Posts

Quote:
Range?

It will take a long time for testing a Mersenne Number being prime or not?
Old 2012-03-13, 17:05   #6
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

838410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
from what I've heard here and there,it depends on the size of the exponent, if it's a LL, DC LL, TF, or P-1, the machine it's done on, and it also depends on what you call a long time.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2012-03-13 at 17:07
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 17:18   #7
Unregistered

22·32·239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
from what I've heard here and there,it depends on the size of the exponent, if it's a LL, DC LL, TF, or P-1, the machine it's done on, and it also depends on what you call a long time.
Just only test the M47, how long the time it will take? One day , or a week?
Old 2012-03-13, 17:34   #8
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100001101111002 Posts

Quote:
Depending on the exponent you choose and the hardware you have, it could take between few minutes (to prove the number composite, if you are lucky) and few years. We could help you better if you say what computer you have and what software you intend to use. If you don't know the last, then ask.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 22:30   #9
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

Quote:
Range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
Speaking personally, I'm a 60 minute man
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 09:53   #10
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

63028 Posts

Quote:
Just only test the M47, how long the time it will take? One day , or a week?
As LaurV writes, it depends enormously on your hardware, plus whether a Lucas Lehmer test (determining primality or compositeness) is actually necessary because no factor is found. It also obviously depends on how much of the time your machine is running: not all of us leave our machines on when they are not being used.

But a ball-park for the current wave-front of first-time Lucas Lehmer tests (typical exponent just over 50 million) ranges from a week or two for top quality hardware running 24 hours a day, through to maybe 6 months for modest hardware running only when you are using your computer. It would take me 6 months to test a 50M exponent.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 11:15   #11
Unregistered

158D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
As LaurV writes, it depends enormously on your hardware, plus whether a Lucas Lehmer test (determining primality or compositeness) is actually necessary because no factor is found. It also obviously depends on how much of the time your machine is running: not all of us leave our machines on when they are not being used.

But a ball-park for the current wave-front of first-time Lucas Lehmer tests (typical exponent just over 50 million) ranges from a week or two for top quality hardware running 24 hours a day, through to maybe 6 months for modest hardware running only when you are using your computer. It would take me 6 months to test a 50M exponent.
Thank you , your answer (the second part) is what i want!