mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-06-09, 15:03   #1563
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

22×3×7×112 Posts

Not long recovered from a 5-hour ISP outage.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-09, 18:22   #1564
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

72·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Not long recovered from a 5-hour ISP outage.
Just to compare: properly run old-fashioned telephone exchanges maintained an availability of 99.999%

Presumably, if it weren't for virus restrictions, you could have gone to the university and connected directly to the backbone!
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-10, 08:43   #1565
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

1016410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Just to compare: properly run old-fashioned telephone exchanges maintained an availability of 99.999%

Presumably, if it weren't for virus restrictions, you could have gone to the university and connected directly to the backbone!
I don't think so. I don't have office space there any more. They might have been kind and let me in I suppose.

The SP had site-wide power problems and insufficient UPS. They had lost their phone system when I first tried to see what was happening.

It's happened to several places where I've worked in the past, including a couple where I was on the support team.
Old 2020-06-13, 17:37   #1566
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

584910 Posts

I am p***ed. The board of my homeowner's association has decided to force all homeowners to remove their gardens (if they have one). Of course I have one and have had it for 11 years. The association will start finding people $500 + $100 per day (starting in spring) if they don't get rid if their garden. The covenant has zero language on gardens, but does on landscaping, but that only applies to new construction.

The president of the association wants to use a lawyer (someone he knows) to harass homeowners into compliance as he figures that it will be cheaper for those homeowners to comply than to "lawyer up" and fight it.

When I told my wife about this, I have never in over 20 years seen her use the language that she was directing towards him.

What makes this worse is that I suspect my next door neighbor (who moved in two years ago) and is on the board, initiated this.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-14, 01:40   #1567
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·7·709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Except the one you currently own
;-)
Necro riposte: Except the one I currently own belonged to my Dad, who bought it new, who was a fanatic about oil changes and maintenance in general, and had my two younger brothers nearby, making sure that oil got changed at 3000mi with effing Valvoline Full Synthetic, or the like. I started driving it at around 15,000 miles and it is approaching 113,000 mi. It has had full synthetic oil its whole life.

I have a garage that I really trust to be straightforward and honest. They have advised against some things I thought might be needed, and alerted me to dry rot in three of the tires, well, after one turned up flat when we came out from dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. I got the spare on in record time, just because it pissed me off so much.

Also, the transmission was subject to a recall due to slippage in the transmission belts at highway temperatures. I experienced this in this 2000 Accord. The engine started revving up, while the car slowed down on freeway overpasses. It also lurched when starting forward. It got a no-charge rebuilt/modified transmission from a Honda dealer at around 55,000mi.

So anyway, I do know the provenance of this used car.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-06-14 at 01:43
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-14, 14:54   #1568
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

101618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I don't think so. I don't have office space there any more. They might have been kind and let me in I suppose.

The SP had site-wide power problems and insufficient UPS. They had lost their phone system when I first tried to see what was happening.
These days it's common for restaurants and libraries to provide free wireless. With the current Covid19 situation, you may not be able to gain physical admission. You might be able to get a drivethrough purchase and then catch some fringe wireless access in the parking lot.

Re insufficient UPS, the major research university I used to work for had a failure years ago in their large Liebert data-center UPS and in its backup cutover to a generator, neither of which performed to specifications as I recall. It took down hundreds of campus servers, and countless services, and among them was access to their help desk and network operations center via phone (implemented as VoIP reached through the numerous routers and switches that also lost power) and many hosted web sites, including network status and trouble reports. Communications to inform those dependent on infrastructure or responsible for maintaining infrastructure seemed a strange thing to cost-reduce at the expense of availability when you need it the most. That location was also part of Wisconsin's internet infrastructure, peering with level 1 commercial ISPs and one of a small number of interconnects of Wisconsin's entire public education system (and some private) with the rest of the Internet. Much of main campus had converted to VoIP also and were cut off. Facebook and Twitter were used as alternate communications to provide status updates, and campus occupants' cell phone data plans were used heavily. Most function came back quickly as a result of heroic effort by all available personnel, but it took over a week to get everything running again. This sort of thing is why "continuity of operations plans" and exercises are required of each organizational unit there.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-06-14 at 14:54
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-14, 15:17   #1569
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

72·29 Posts

We came across this at the top of a hill on a hiking trail (miles from any roads) in England some years back:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Afb.1812a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	22585
Old 2020-06-14, 16:23   #1570
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Re insufficient UPS, the major research university I used to work for had a failure years ago in their large Liebert data-center UPS and in its backup cutover to a generator, neither of which performed to specifications as I recall.
My work site has a UPS for the switch/router set-up. But IT has failed to provide UPSs for the end user machines. They seem to think that it should be the local group that does that. The facility suffers from more than its fair share of power outages (for reasons.) We have portable generators available, but no way to tap them into a panel. The system could be far more robust. Phone companies used to (don't know about now) run on batteries. While shore/line power was available, it fed into the system. But, when it went away, there was no -switch- to batteries, as they were already in the circuit.

A relative used to work at a facility that provided critical infrastructure level service. When line power was available, they ran on that. When it dropped, the back-up generators were to autostart. Staff was on shift 25/7/366. Alarms would go off when grid power was lost. If the generators did not autostart, staff would move quickly to get them going. Only after staff was confident with the quality (voltage and Hz and steadiness) of the line power would they switch back over. This is before there were practical UPSs capable of the loads involved (10's-100's kilowatts of continuous load). They were required to be back in service and faultless (which involved technical work to re-establish) in less than 5 minutes, IIRC. If the were totally knocked out by severe weather (hurricane level event) or earthquakes there were back-up plans to re-establish service, unusually within an hour.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-15, 08:20   #1571
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

100111101101002 Posts

At 2 places I've worked we had more outage caused by UPS than they ever saved from mains power interruptions.

It is a legal requirement in the UK that electrical stuff is tested annually. This includes the UPS units. The testers can't work on a UPS connected to anything and it wasn't always feasible to disconnect and let its supported equipment hope the mains stays up, not least because we had to have the mains supplies tested too. It was generally quicker, safer and much easier to perform an orderly shutdown of everything and let the testers work as quickly as possible

Luckily we didn't have a 99.999% uptime SLA and as long as sufficient notice was given, with the reasons, the workforce were very understanding.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-06-15 at 08:22
Old 2020-07-01, 12:45   #1572
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I am p***ed. The board of my homeowner's association has decided to force all homeowners to remove their gardens (if they have one). Of course I have one and have had it for 11 years. The association will start finding people $500 + $100 per day (starting in spring) if they don't get rid if their garden. The covenant has zero language on gardens, but does on landscaping, but that only applies to new construction.

The president of the association wants to use a lawyer (someone he knows) to harass homeowners into compliance as he figures that it will be cheaper for those homeowners to comply than to "lawyer up" and fight it.

When I told my wife about this, I have never in over 20 years seen her use the language that she was directing towards him.

What makes this worse is that I suspect my next door neighbor (who moved in two years ago) and is on the board, initiated this.
Last week a letter was sent to the homeowners in the HOA listing a number of "issues" in the subdivision. It didn't state any houses specifically and was basically saying "everyone is guilty so fix your sh**" without calling out the restrictions. It was very aggressive and suggested a ban on gardens and that a lawyer was consulted to get the ban to stick.

An interesting development occurred last night. We have some lawyers in this subdivision. One of them is works for a nearly municipality and works with zoning laws and regulations as part of his job. He happens to have a garden and actually lives two doors down from me. The VP of the board lives between us. The lawyer invited the entire board to a meeting as he had some information to share. He basically told the board "you can't do that". The covenant lists restrictions, but the board cannot use subjective definitions to "create restrictions" that are not in the covenant. If the board tries, they will be sued and they will lose based upon established precedent. The president said that the ban on gardens was not final, but the lawyer countered that the wording in the letter made it seem final and the mention of a lawyer was threatening. The lawyer also mentioned that the letter will invite homeowners to report their neighbors about petty things they don't like (aesthetically displeasing is the term used by the president and VP) because they want to board to act. This has already happened.

During the meeting it was clear that president was offended. He went off stating how gardens invite rodents and rabies and for the good of the neighborhood they have to be banned. He clearly intends to include fruit trees in a future ban, but didn't say so. He leveled a complaint against me because I said that his interpretation of the covenant would allow the board to outlaw thorny bushes and he said that he wouldn't do that because thorny buses are not fruit bearing. (Little does he know of raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, etc.) The lawyer countered in saying that such an open interpretation of the covenant would immediately lead to that by this board or by a future board. The president was not happy.

Later the president verbally attacked me due to a number of "violations" on my property. I agreed with him on one, which is from last year and no longer an issue and told him that if asked me to address the issue that I would have no recourse but to comply. The previous presidents gave me a pass for the issue was only present for a few weeks a year. As for others (flower pots for one), I stated that there is no restriction against them in the covenant. It was pretty clear to me that he wanted to put a lien on my house due to the infractions that he listed. I think he could see a lawsuit from me if he pushed his restrictions and the covenant does not have language that could protect him personally if I sued the board.

Instead of admitting he made a mistake or changing his ways, he abruptly resigned saying that if can't run the HOA like a business (assuming that the homeowners are his employees) then he doesn't want to be president. After he left the VP agreed that the president was aggressive and he had tried to tone down the aggressiveness of any communication from the board. The VP had never stated that publicly previously and had always supported the president no matter the tone. The VP was more amenable to things I had suggested for weeks, such as amending the covenant to add restrictions or to put a better definition around any large gray areas in it.

Nevertheless, I have not been the victim of such a personal verbal assault for many years and it has left me shaken and anxious. Although he is gone, I expect the president to retaliate thru the city, looking for any violations I have with the city in the effort to have the city fine me.
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-01, 14:06   #1573
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

72×29 Posts

It sounds like a positive change, even if it was a bit harrowing.
It might be an idea to keep a detailed record of that meeting as background for any future problems.
And take every chance you get to stop it being personal, bringing in like-minded neighbours, for example.