wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

235810 Posts
Default RDS permanent ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
this Mr Silverman is on a ban for right now at very least.
By consensus, the supermods have banned Bob permanently. This is seldom done at MersenneForum, and never done lightly. After extensive discussion, consensus was that this is the appropriate action.
wblipp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 04:44   #2
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
By consensus, the supermods have banned Bob permanently. This is seldom done at MersenneForum, and never done lightly. After extensive discussion, consensus was that this is the appropriate action.
Permanently?

Not even a 6 or 12 month ban?

His knowledge (though not his tone) will be missed.
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 04:48   #3
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

9,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
It is a shame that he could not keep some control of all that anger. While he is very abrasive, at times, I appreciate his social and political views, but I never understood why he felt compelled to chastise persons of less knowledge than his who had honest questions.

Still, that last outburst was way over the boundaries of basic social standards, even in this somewhat competitive, and sometimes heated environment.

Nevertheless, I will miss his curmudgeonly presence.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 06:48   #4
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

2·3·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Permanently?

Not even a 6 or 12 month ban?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
It is a shame that he could not keep some control of all that anger. While he is very abrasive, at times, I appreciate his social and political views, but I never understood why he felt compelled to chastise persons of less knowledge than his who had honest questions.

Still, that last outburst was way over the boundaries of basic social standards, even in this somewhat competitive, and sometimes heated environment.

Nevertheless, I will miss his curmudgeonly presence.
I agree entirely. I have been the recipient of his ...chastisement in the past; however, I feel that his incredible knowledge and willingness to confer it (in a nuclear reaction type of way) is still a wonderful part of this forum. His tendency towards anger is perhaps more understandable given his personal circumstances but still inappropriate. However, I would rather have his vitriol than no input from Dr. Silverman at all.

Last fiddled with by Primeinator on 2016-01-22 at 06:49
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 08:13   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×17×127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
Indeed. I will miss his tone occasionally too. Actually, I don't know what I will miss more, because his knowledge was usually too advanced for my particular need, so not extremely useful for me. But he, when not grumpy, really had a very good input to "real math" things, cryptography, etc. We learned how to live with him, but on the other hand, he was quite detrimental to the new people with honest questions, scaring them off. We are already quite a tough community, with lots of pride/vanity/vainglory.

We hope that the mods will re-consider after some period (like Dubslow said, 6 months, a year, should be quite enough).
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 08:37   #6
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

10010001001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
... he was quite detrimental to the new people with honest questions, scaring them off.
In fact more or less adult bullying...
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 14:34   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

9,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
In fact more or less adult bullying...
Rather more than less, I'm afraid. I must note that it was not just newcomers who were put off by his "style." He was instrumental in driving away BCP19, Pete, who was a top contributor.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2016-01-22 at 14:38
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 20:56   #8
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts

May I ask that these posts be moved to a separate thread where we may continue the discussion? For a case like Bob's, where there is a massive upside to go with the massive downside, I'd like to see more than just the supermod's opinions on the matter.

Last fiddled with by jasonp on 2016-01-22 at 23:05 Reason: Done
Old 2016-01-22, 23:07   #9
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

102248 Posts

I agree that he was a bully, in a way that was not good for membership in the forum.

He had been warned many times, and refused to change his behavior. It's unfortunate we don't benefit from his occasional wisdom, but the forum overall is a more pleasant place these days. I have surely posted more since my fear of RDSflame ebbed in '16.

If some mods have second thoughts about the permanence after months or a year, I suggest he be banned from certain subforums permanently; there were places his signal-to-anger was higher than others, and I wouldn't resent the gerbils for allowing him to post in those places only.
VBCurtis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-22, 23:17   #10
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Another option is one once tried on another poster of debatable signal to noise -- my old favorite D. For a while his posts were subject to pre-moderation. What became of that experiment? As I recall, not much unfortunately.
Old 2016-01-22, 23:26   #11
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3·19·103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
It's unfortunate we don't benefit from his occasional wisdom, but the forum overall is a more pleasant place these days.
It is unfortunate. I benefited from having him on these forums since he could answer some of my harder questions. But in the end he caused too many good people to leave, new and old, that there wasn't much else to do. We could have kicked the can down the road a bit further, but I don't think that would change the eventual outcome.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote