mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Operation Billion Digits

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-09-22, 19:28   #23
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

19×173 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I had to look up few commands. but I am having problems navigating. Then I will have to get the contents of the archive in the folder. All of this seems confined to a single parent folder that I cannot find with Windows Explorer. Life goes on.
You need to use commands like pwd (present working directory); ls (list files); cd ~ (change to your directory under home); rmdir (remove directory if it is empty); mkdir (make a directory)... and my favourites: man and apropos

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2017-09-22 at 19:48
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 19:35   #24
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!
 
wombatman's Avatar
 
May 2013

32·193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I had to look up few commands. but I am having problems navigating. Then I will have to get the contents of the archive in the folder. All of this seems confined to a single parent folder that I cannot find with Windows Explorer. Life goes on.
Navigate to the home folder. Then you can use "dir" again. Then navigate to that folder, and the finally to the factor5 folder you made. It takes some getting used to, especially if you don't have any Linux-based experience, but it's not bad once you understand what you're doing.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 00:23   #25
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

5×251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
Navigate to the home folder. Then you can use "dir" again. Then navigate to that folder, and the finally to the factor5 folder you made. It takes some getting used to, especially if you don't have any Linux-based experience, but it's not bad once you understand what you're doing.
I went to the home folder and tried to change it. The folder I made does not exist. I tried to create one, but it says I do not have permission.

Anyway, I cut my teeth on MS-DOS back in the late 1980's. I have never been reluctant about trying to learn something new.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 05:34   #26
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

2·5·859 Posts
Default

does MC run on that win10 shell? (I am still faithful to my win7). If so, then apt-get mc. No problem navigating anymore.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2017-09-23 at 05:35
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 05:46   #27
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!
 
wombatman's Avatar
 
May 2013

32×193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I went to the home folder and tried to change it. The folder I made does not exist. I tried to create one, but it says I do not have permission.

Anyway, I cut my teeth on MS-DOS back in the late 1980's. I have never been reluctant about trying to learn something new.
If you want to work in the windows directories (so you can make changes in Windows and then work from them in the Ubuntu shell), you can use "/mnt/c/Users/(your username)/Desktop". That will take you to the Windows desktop. If you download factor5.c to your desktop, you can then do all the compilation. I do that with files I think I may edit since I like to have a GUI-based editor.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 19:24   #28
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

5×251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
If you want to work in the windows directories (so you can make changes in Windows and then work from them in the Ubuntu shell), you can use "/mnt/c/Users/(your username)/Desktop". That will take you to the Windows desktop. If you download factor5.c to your desktop, you can then do all the compilation. I do that with files I think I may edit since I like to have a GUI-based editor.
Is this a "change directory" command?

I finally got my folder "factor5" created using a sudo command. It prompts with a password, which is fine.

The folder containing the two files from the archive lay outside the bounds and I cannot access them to get them into the "factor5" folder which I created.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 21:58   #29
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

3·5·317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Is this a "change directory" command?

I finally got my folder "factor5" created using a sudo command. It prompts with a password, which is fine.

The folder containing the two files from the archive lay outside the bounds and I cannot access them to get them into the "factor5" folder which I created.
try the commands
Code:
pwd 
ls -la
and tell us what's the output. It looks like either you created the folder as root, or on a directory requiring root privileges
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 23:32   #30
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!
 
wombatman's Avatar
 
May 2013

32·193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Is this a "change directory" command?

I finally got my folder "factor5" created using a sudo command. It prompts with a password, which is fine.

The folder containing the two files from the archive lay outside the bounds and I cannot access them to get them into the "factor5" folder which I created.
Change directory is "cd" just as in Windows. The path I gave you will put you in the Windows desktop folder.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-23, 23:58   #31
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

125510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatman View Post
Change directory is "cd" just as in Windows. The path I gave you will put you in the Windows desktop folder.
The left image is the results of the ls -ls command. Actually, it went on a lot further than this Note: All of this in dark blue, I cannot read.

The second image is where I changed to the root and did a dir. The folder I created is there.

I know how to add a path in a Windows environment. Not here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	16882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_a.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	16883  
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 00:19   #32
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

19×173 Posts
Default

In a Linux environment your "home directory" is your user name under /home. Mine is /home/paul/ on my system. A word of warning: try not to use the root account unless it is absolutely necessary -- use your user account. Make sure you are logged under your user name with whoami and then you can easily get to your home directory with cd ~, which afterwards you can verify with pwd.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2017-09-24 at 00:23
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-24, 07:08   #33
storm5510
Random Account
 
storm5510's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
U.S.A.

5×251 Posts
Default

I am beginning to think this entire process would have been simpler if I had made a bootable memory-stick. Then again, maybe not. Part of this I can grasp, and remember. Others, not so much.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factor5 on Multicore Machines Rodrigo Operation Billion Digits 4 2011-01-02 04:50
Factor5 ! ET_ Operation Billion Digits 60 2009-08-26 08:02
Factor5 source code thread ET_ Operation Billion Digits 10 2008-09-17 12:28

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:15.

Tue Jul 14 14:15:37 UTC 2020 up 111 days, 11:48, 1 user, load averages: 1.50, 1.55, 1.47

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.