mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2006-01-17, 05:07   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default Question about reserving and unreserving GIMPS exponents

Sorry if this has been answered before, sometimes people give me obvious search terms which I never thought of:

Anyway...

If I get a GIMPS exponent, immediately put it on hold so I can use the Prime95 feature that says about how long it will take, and then decide it's too big and unreserve it: Is that a problem for the project?

Put another way, if I unreserve an exponent, does it immediately go back into rotation, or does it go into some sort of NO MAN'S LAND where it sits for a long time.

I'm sorry that I can't ask this more succinctly, I hope you guys understand my question.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 05:17   #2
moo

Jul 2004
Nowhere

809 Posts

Well it doesnt matter if you get a big one or a small one the points are adjusted based on the size of the number. Also it would be better if you just did the exponet or mabey you should be doing retesting.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 05:30   #3
thechickenman

Nov 2005
South Carolina

10011012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
Sorry if this has been answered before, sometimes people give me obvious search terms which I never thought of:

Anyway...

If I get a GIMPS exponent, immediately put it on hold so I can use the Prime95 feature that says about how long it will take, and then decide it's too big and unreserve it: Is that a problem for the project?

Put another way, if I unreserve an exponent, does it immediately go back into rotation, or does it go into some sort of NO MAN'S LAND where it sits for a long time.

I'm sorry that I can't ask this more succinctly, I hope you guys understand my question.
All first-tiem tests are roughly the same size. If these times are longer than your patience (no shame here, they are for me too!), you cna run double-checks, which a reasonable computer can do in about a week, or trial-factorings, which take about a day each. The drawback is, double-checks give you a pretty much nil chance of finding a prime, and factoring gives you zero chance... but them's the breaks.
thechickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 07:58   #4
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

5·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
The answer to this question is yes, it does immediately go back into the pool of available exponents. If you want to unreserve an exponent for any reason, it does not do any harm to the project in any way.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 20:44   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickenman
...You cna run double-checks, which a reasonable computer can do in about a week, or trial-factorings, which take about a day each. The drawback is, double-checks give you a pretty much nil chance of finding a prime, and factoring gives you zero chance... but them's the breaks.
I don't know about that nil chance. You have to figure in the fact that the double checks are faster, so you have more chances. And if double checks fall far enough behind, and the error rate is high enough, double checks might have better odds of finding a prime. When the project Seventeen or Bust first started their forced double-check awhile back, the odds went up for awhile.

Strange but true.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote